Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The answer is "no."

As in, "no, I haven't had that baby yet." But even without little one yet in arms, this two-hundred-and-eightieth day is a heck of a lot better than the last one.

***

This day began with the forty-week appointment at the hospital. There is no sign of impending labor, but all is well for the moment. Unless there's reason to cancel (like a 3.6-kilograms-and-growing reason), we'll go back for a post-term check-up next Wednesday.

***

Even at forty weeks, I'm still vacillating between ready/not ready, but I have been googling "early labor symptoms" in the same obsessive way that I used to google "early pregnancy symptoms." (Let's chalk that up to "ready.") However, much as "wait to see if your period comes" is the best advice for the insufferable pregnant vs. PMS question, "wait to see if your baby comes" would be the most fitting response in this situation.

Thus here I am, waiting to see if my baby comes. And that's okay. While the ready side of me is incredibly eager to meet this little one, the not ready side of me is appreciative of these final moments of life as I know it (as is the employed side of me, who is working a few last more hours tomorrow before putting her feet up for good ... or, rather, for as long as it lasts). But that doesn't mean I can't think about natural ways to bring on labor, though, does it?

So I did. Unfortunately, most tips had to be crossed off my list of possibilities pretty quickly. To wit:

Acupuncture? I'd have to get off the couch to do that, right? So no.

Curry? Sounded good, actually, so I made one, but its only effect was gullet-decimating heartburn that kept me up all night.

Nipple stimulation? For three hours a day? No.

"Relations"? Hahaha don't make me laugh NO.

Walking? Okay, this one I can do. My back is almost well again, and I'm feeling better than I have in months. Bonus: there's a new gelato place on my lakeside route, and I don't care at all if my waddling around with a sweet treat in hand earns me a few "pregnant lady indulging her gluttony" once-overs.

***

From there to here, and I still can't believe that it's real.

worth staying awake until midnight for, this.

42 comments:

  1. Eek!! So close now. :) Go to the movies with your husband. Take a nap on the couch. Do things that will be hard to do with a baby in tow. I can't wait to "meet" this little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies: check (Gatsby; alone - no way was the husband accompanying me for that!). Nap on the couch: check, check, and check. Now I think I'm going to bake a cake!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. A little louder ... I don't think the message went through!

      Delete
  3. Any time now! Hope things go smoothly, when they get going! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three hours of nipple stimulation per day???? Are you sure that wasn't written by someone with an extreme boob fetish?

    I hope baby decides to make a move soon. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No move yet ... but soon I hope, despite my lack of nipple-stimulating dedication!

      Delete
  5. wow, I can't believe you're 40 weeks!!!! I can't wait to hear that baby has finally decided to show!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either, and can't wait either! Thanks Life.

      Delete
  6. Woah, bonus indeed! I vote gelato and brief waddle. I LOLed at the "wait to see if your baby comes" piece of advice. Seems so simple, and yet, not. Grinning that your baby will be here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah! I was just wondering if your birthing time had started earlier today!! So soon, now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still baking ... looks like we might be able to have "one more Saturday night." Better make it a rager!

      Delete
  8. Awesome mamma!!! Sending you continued thoughts as you wait for your little one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Only problem is, the closer it gets the farther away it seems!

      Delete
  10. So exciting! You are almost there, ready or not... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - I suppose there's a moment where ready or not has absolutely no bearing!

      Delete
  11. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to hear the good news! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. 3 hours of nipple stimulation?!?!? My breasts hurt just thinking about it.

    Congratulations on hitting 40 weeks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do my hands!

      Thanks for the congratulations, and sending some back to you too for reaching viability.

      Delete
  13. Ah, it won't be long now, li'l mama! You just keep waddling around and eating gelato until your heart's content and that baby will come along before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some take castor oil. Others take gelato. And at one moment or another, it arrives, right?

      Delete
  14. GET OUT OF HER, BABY.

    If you lived closer I could smoke it out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried that (accidentally) the other day while trailing behind somebody and his joint. Didn't work, but at least I can add "baby's first high" to the album.

      Delete
  15. I've been checking your blog to see if the baby came. Get lots of sleep!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There'll be an update as soon as there's anything to update. In the meantime, I am - between all my "oh please not again" bathroom breaks!

      Hope you and your little girl are still doing wonderfully.

      Delete
  16. Cute that you stayed up til midnight to see that notification on your phone. (-: I hope that you get an unexplained boost of strength and energy to get you through these last days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I did, because it was the last exciting update. Now it just says "you are past your due date" - no exclamation marks, not even a period. Thank you for the wishes - I could use them!

      Delete
  17. So close! I hope this little one gets the show on the road for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too - and I'll be so excited to hear your news one day very soon too!

      Delete
  18. That watermelon reference makes me nervous!! I'm wishing you the best. Hopefully you see your little one ASAP! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's now a pumpkin - feels just the same but sounds slightly less frightening! Thank you for the wishes - I hope so too!!

      Delete
  19. Wishing your little pilgrim a safe journey into this new world; and wishing you much happiness in your new role as Maman Suisse. So much love xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know you've now met your little one, and I can't wait to catch up and read about it!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.