I take the sheets off the bed and I do the laundry. I throw some English-language magazines into the basket for recycling and empty the rubbish into the bins outside. I sweep and mop the floor and I clean the bathroom.
No trace remains of her visit, my mother, the first first-born daughter; no trace except the love she bestowed upon the third first-born daughter, our memories, and the tear stains on my cheeks.
 |
| our trio; two waving. |
Absolutely beautiful. I know it must be hard to live so far away from your mom, especially now that you have your own child, but I hope you have cherished the moments that you did have with her. And I hope there are many more to come!
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard, and you're right, it breaks my heart even more than before now that the little one's here. I was so lucky to have had this time to share her with my mother, as well as a few days with my dad, too. Thank you for your sweet hopes - me too!
DeleteAw!
ReplyDeleteLovely, as ever. I was excited thinking it was your birth story. This was not a disappointment.
ReplyDeleteOh yes, that. I did make mention of it recently, didn't I? Soon! But glad you weren't too disappointed here.
DeleteNot at all! I'm just obsessed with other people's birth stories. Always have been, and even more so now.
DeleteMe too, on both counts!
DeleteSo sweet. I know she knows but make sure you let her know.
ReplyDeleteShe knows, but I'll tell her again.
DeleteI'm so sorry her time with you came to an end. Remember, it's not goodbye, just until next time. Take care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteI'm always afraid there won't be a next time. That's part of the problem when time together is few and far between - what might happen in that between. But I'll try to think a little more positively about the trip we'll hopefully be making this autumn.
DeleteI'm sure you both wish her visit could have been longer. You're really lucky that she was able to come stay with you, even for a short time.
ReplyDeleteI know ... it's very difficult for her to travel, which makes the visit even more special, and me even more lucky.
DeleteSo lovely, and unfortunately as someone whose own mother lives so far away and who therefore knows all too well, so sad. <3
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you can understand so well. It's difficult for me in the best of times, and even worse now that baby is here.
DeleteOh I'm so sad for you :( I hope that you enjoyed your time with her. Beautiful post even though it's sad.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to respond to a comment you made on my blog...we swaddled D until he was 4.5 months. He would pull out his arms every night starting around 15 weeks, but he still loved being swaddled. Honestly, I still swaddle his legs every night. It's cool in the house and I refuse to put a blanket in the crib. Plus, when his feet are out he can't resist them so he plays all night if I don't swaddle his legs. I know I'll have to stop soon as he's growing way too long for the swaddles :)
So funny that you have to swaddle D's feet so he won't play with them! And here I was, thinking they were just for (eventually) walking around on.
DeleteLovely <3 It's so hard living far away from family, isn't it?
ReplyDeleteYes, terribly so .... If you and I could trade places, we'd be much better located in terms of our family!
DeleteGlad you were able to have your mom over, sad though that you live so far away from each other. It is really hard when family is in another country during times when you just want/need them close.
ReplyDeleteIt is ... but we should have a visit in the autumn to look forward to. I certainly hope so.
DeleteIt must be so hard. I lived in the US and CH as a kid. I never realized how hard it must have been for my mom. I always wanted to move abroad with my kids, but now that I have kids, I want to be in the same country as my mom!! hugs
ReplyDeleteI'm sure your mom is glad to have you close by ... I don't know what I'd do if this baby girl grows up and decides to move so far away from me.
DeleteI'm so glad you were able to have those three weeks to make new memories. It's always sad to say goodbye though. Hopefully it won't be too overly long until you will get to see her again!
ReplyDeleteWe just booked our big trip and will be there in two months! Can't wait.
Delete