At the checkout counter of the supermarket the other day, I unloaded all my groceries from the basket, watched them go forward on the conveyer belt, pushed baby and stroller forward, waited while the cashier rang everything up, reached into my bag, took out my wallet, gave money to the cashier, took back the change and zipped it into my wallet, pulled out my shopping bag, removed it from its storage pouch, tucked the pouch into the shopping bag, threw the wallet in on top of it, hung the shopping bag from my shoulder, pushed baby and stroller forward again, and walked out of the store.
I was halfway home when I stopped short. Where are my groceries?
At the end of the conveyer belt in the supermarket, of course.
I returned red-faced to face the disapproving glare of the dour cashier whose checkout lane had, due to my oversight, apparently suffered a consternating traffic jam. What shame. My only consolation is that none of this was witnessed by the boyfriend.
***
The stuff I bought was to make gazpacho. I chopped it all up and threw it into the food processor and turned it on. Although the motor began to run, and tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers were vibrating along with it, no activity that could be described as "food-processing" was occurring. I turned the machine off. Turned it back on. Motor still running, still nothing happening. Off and on again.
A bit of further exploration and I realized that I hadn't put the blade in.
***
In addition to gazpacho-making, I also tried my hand at baking. Most of it went well. It was only after I removed the second batch from the oven and then set the timer for the third that all went astray. The timer dinged at its designated time, and I removed my boob from a surprised and displeased baby's mouth to run to the kitchen.
When I opened the oven, there was nothing inside.
The third batch was still sitting on the kitchen counter.
***
I've clearly lost my mind, but I can't complain ... because the one responsible for it is the one to whom I've also lost my heart.
Awww. I'm sure that not getting enough sleep these days is also contributing to the forgetfulness. Totally worth it! :-)
ReplyDelete:) This literally made me LOL. Baby brain :) The very best reason to be absent minded! :)
ReplyDeleteLOL... my husband calls it "preggo brain" - but it's definitely new mommy brain as well!
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post! And it captures so well what it's like to be a new mama. :)
ReplyDeleteSmiling on this end. What a wonderful excuse for losing one's brain.
ReplyDeleteAw. Love this!
ReplyDeleteLove!!
ReplyDeleteHaha! Oh how I understand this. It was really bad during the first 3-4 months, but as baby got a bit older and I had a few more spare minutes to myself, those baby brain issues lessened. But I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten groceries or my purchase on the counter. I just pay for something and then walk away. What is with that?
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh ... you don't mean it's possible to do that more than once?! I'm going to have to find new supermarkets to frequent - I'm not sure I could live down doing it twice in one place!
DeleteI feel like this is something I could say. Your last sentence though is perfect!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I too have lost my mind. I called my husband yesterday and said, I know you asked me to go to the store for something, but what was it again? At least I remember the store part. I once forget to send a nipple in D's bottle to the sitter. That was fabulous too.
ReplyDeletePrecious post :)
Hehe! Speaking of husbands, mine called me on Friday evening and we made plans to meet shortly. Five minutes later I'd completely forgotten and popped into a little shop along the path to pick up a few things. He called me a while later, wondering why wasn't I there yet ...? Oops.
DeleteThis is awesome because I feel like I do the same thing and I am so glad that I am not the only one!
ReplyDeleteYou have the best possible reason for absent-mindedness. :)
ReplyDeleteI think many of us can identify with this! Lovely, simple stories of a smitten mama.
ReplyDeleteAw, that's really sweet :) I especially love the last line. I've also had moments of hugely embarrassing absentmindedness, and I don't even have an excuse!
ReplyDeleteLove this so much.
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like, in spite of the occasional absentmindedness, you are managing to get quite a bit accomplished. Kudos! and keep falling for that baby. :-)
ReplyDeleteOh, and if it makes you feel better, once I went on a walk to the Edeka one village over, went shopping, went through the checkout line and only when I reached into the diaper bag discovered I had left my money at home. I walked as fast as I could home, at which point the kid fell asleep in the stroller. I had to go to the house, get my car keys, throw the kid in the carseat, where she woke up and cried for half of the ten minute drive, then fell asleep. So I left her in the car to run in a pay for the groceries (very bad, I know) and it took a little longer than I had expected, although probably five minutes at the most. I came out and the poor kid was crying her heart out and her hat had covered her head. Mommy fail.
DeleteThat does make me feel better, not just about the forgetfulness but also about my own recent "what do I do with the sleeping baby?" conundrum, which left me feeling like I'd done the wrong thing afterwards. I think we do what seems best in the moment, although it doesn't always seem that way when we look back. I'm sure your little love forgot all about her misbehaving hat after a few kisses and cuddles from mama, and mine seems to have forgiven me as well :)
DeleteOh am I in trouble!! I seem to do this kind of stuff already, all on my own, without kids! I hope I can survive.... Thanks for sharing your funny, but embarrassing moments so none of us quite feel alone :)
ReplyDeleteHeck, I do that sort of thing now and my child is almost 4! Quite often it's in the frazzled rush of trying get us out the door to do errands that I make my mistake. I get to the supermarket, grab the items, go to pay for them and realize I've forgotten my wallet. I'm hoping that when she starts school I can do normal errands with some sort of sanity intact.
ReplyDeleteHearing stories like this does not make me hopeful for my own future! Hope your little one is doing well ... I miss your updates.
DeleteThis made me smile. I feel the same way lately.
ReplyDelete