Although I didn't know it at the time, Monday morning ended the era of petite enfance in our household.
And it's a good thing I didn't know it at the time, because the pain of anticipating the ending of the era, acknowledging that this is the "last time," would have outweighed the joy in sharing that last moment of babyhood with baby the second.
***
Yes, there are two now. You've met baby the first - the one whose conception and birth and first few months of life are chronicled here. Baby the second shocked us by coming into being on the first post-partum cycle that we tried for another, and my own disbelieving happiness about it was cut short by Gilles's reactions, both when I told him and throughout the next nine months. He hadn't thought it would happen so soon and had been counting on more time between children.
The pregnancy was also marked by my feelings of abandonment (merited or not) by my mother and by my parents-in-law; a mysterious infection that adversely impacted the unborn baby and that put us into the hospital for treatment and monitoring; and finding out late in the pregnancy that baby was transverse and thus unable to be born vaginally, which was, for me, devoted to having a vaginal birth, devastating news. (She turned a week or two before being born, and the birth ended up fulfilling all my hopes and wishes, but the after-effects of those other stressful weeks lingered.)
Despite the pregnancy being healthy overall, putting aside the infection, it was a difficult time, and it got much, much worse after the birth. More feelings of abandonment (again, merited or not) by my mother and by my parents-in-law. Gilles going back to work full-time on the first day home from the hospital, despite saying he'd take two weeks off, spread over a month. A baby who couldn't be set down without screaming. A toddler who still needed help with almost everything, which necessitated putting down the baby, which necessitated causing the screaming. Severe post-partum depression, the diagnosis of which made me realize that I'd also suffered slightly from it after the birth of the first (as well as pre-partum anxiety beforehand (ahem) (ahem) (ahem) (ahem) (ahem) (ahem) (ahem) [uh, why bother linking, just refer to all preceding blog posts]). A psychiatrist and medications. A visit from the police because neighbors had reported a screaming baby (and, most likely, a screaming adult too). Two long stays in the children's hospital for baby the second, ostensibly to discover why she was crying so much but also probably to give the rest of the family time to recover, to reduce the risk of something terrible happening.
***
It was a long path back, and I'm still on medications and seeing a psychiatrist, but we've found a new balance. Our screaming, seemingly desperately unhappy baby has become a cheerful, jolly, humorous little ray of sunshine. Her big sister is the best of big sisters, except when she's not, but seeing their two little heads sleeping on the same pillow after one creeps into the other's bed at night makes up for the "not" moments of the daylight hours.
Of course, life isn't perfect. But the moments of desperation, anger, frustration, annoyance, futility ... all these slip away when I reflect on our lives today and as they have been since our two children joined us. This stage of life is, everything else notwithstanding, the best I've ever experienced - and I don't want it to end. I knew even when baby the second was placed on my chest, seconds old: this is not my last baby.
Gilles, however, feels differently. Despite us saying at first that we'd like two or three, his "no" to a third child is, and has been since the birth of the second, categorical. I can understand why, given all described above. But I cannot reach peace with it, especially because he refuses to even talk about it with me, also for reasons I can partly understand, as it's difficult for him to see me so upset. Let's just say, though, that closing oneself off from such a discussion with one's spouse does not lead to a state of marital affairs that can be described as harmonious. My anger - rage, really - towards him for not even listening to me about this seeps out in almost all of our interactions. Whether or not he can make the link between the categorical "no" and the rage he sees in me, I don't know.
***
This leads to what I meant by the end of an era. For five years and almost three months, without cease, I have been pregnant and/or breastfeeding - I breastfed baby the first throughout the pregnancy with the second, and for a few weeks thereafter (by the way, nothing makes nursing a toddler more annoying than having her fight it out for the boob with a newborn who actually needs the breastmilk). And baby the second has been nursing with gusto, albeit for months now only once a day in the morning, until a few weeks ago, when she really started losing interest. Monday she humored me by giving it a go. Tuesday she refused when I asked. And this morning she didn't ask, and neither did I. So this is it. No going back.
She's two and a half, so ... the end of nursing her is certainly not happening before its time. What is happening before its time, at least according to my heart and my desire, is the end of this stage of our lives, especially when I'm facing it with somebody who is elated about being finished with Pampers and getting rid of our stroller.
***
And that's why I'm back. Writing about this may help me find a resolution. If any of my old friends are here, maybe you might have encouraging or understanding words, which would also help. At the same time, I realize how greedy I am, like somebody who's already gone through the buffet line two times and is complaining because the restaurant closed before she could pig out on a third round. Not exactly the most sympathetic situation.
As for you, old friends, well, it's been years since I last commented, but I still read your blogs, every post. I still feel like I "know" you, although you don't know me anymore. So many of you I meant to contact individually but, as you know, didn't. Life gets in the way, and what can be done tomorrow is often put off until ... never. Please know that I was thinking of you and that I had the best of intentions, unfulfilled though they be.
I'm not sure if you'll remember me or not (I don't even remember if I commented here before). My blog was Sprout, but I closed that down and now have a different blog that I neglect.
ReplyDeleteYour experience with your second sounds soooooo much like mine: getting pregnant far sooner than you expected (I actually didn't think I'd get pregnant again at all), stressful pregnancy, scream-y second child (damn you, reflux!), and horrific PPD. Sometimes I marvel that we all survived it. So know that you have a shit-ton of sympathy from me on what you went through.
I'm sorry that your husband won't even talk to you about having more children. I can kind of relate, since that's what it was like for us after our first was born. (But then second surprise baby came along and no discussion was needed!) I realized how lucky I was to have one baby, but there was lingering sadness, knowing that we would never try for another. I don't think I have any helpful advice, but writing it all out here is probably a good start in dealing with it all.
Hi Jenny! Of course I remember you. I seem to remember we commented quite frequently on each other's blog, at least in the very beginning. I actually followed you over to your new blog, although never commented (I haven't commented anywhere in years) and remember your writing about your own difficult experience. I really felt for you when you were going through the worst of it. Sounds like we would have a lot to talk about in real life!
DeleteJust knowing you're out there, and that you understand and relate, is as helpful - if not more so - than any advice you could give, although you're right that my getting these thoughts out of me is a good start. Thank you for taking the time to connect!
What a pleasant surprise to see this post from you! Sounds like there’s been a lot going on. I’m happy for you for the good parts and very sad to hear there’s been some struggle.
ReplyDeleteThe issue with your husband regarding family size is one I hear a lot of. What troubling is that you two are not able to talk about it. I can see your side, but given all you’ve both been through I can see his too. If I had to make an educated guess, his strategy of stonewalling is hoping that by putting his foot down, you’ll eventually drop it. The problem with stonewalling is resentment grows on both sides, leading to an erosion of a marriage.
If possible, I would talk with your psychiatrist about getting a referral to a couples counselor. Having someone help you navigate this discussion could be extremely useful. Even if in the end you don’t agree about family size, the key is finding a compromise you both can live with.
Wishing you all the best. And hoping you’ll write again soon.
Hi Cristy, and thank you for your thoughts and your empathy. You are totally right that the biggest problem is not being able to talk with my husband about this. I believe I could reach resolution with our current state, although I think I would always be wistful about it, if only I felt listened to and understood instead of just receiving a flat no - as you wisely suggest in your last paragraph.
DeleteI've actually had a referral for a couples counselor for ages. Perhaps it's time to dig out the business card from wherever it's hiding and actually make the call.
I really appreciate your insight and your taking the time to comment! All the best to you, and the Beats, too.
What a pleasant surprise to see you on my Reader List tonight! I am afraid encouraging words escape me right now, but let me say I am sending lots of hugs your way!
ReplyDeleteHugs are always appreciated! Thank you for reaching out.
DeleteYou're back! Although I'm sorry to hear about your current marital struggles. I also have a husband that isn't the best communicator. It's impossible to find resolution if you aren't able to talk through it. You aren't greedy for wanting another. Your heart wants what it wants. No real advice, but here to welcome you back and offer support.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Amber. I totally agree with your point about it being impossible to find resolution without communication, and I really appreciate the part about not being greedy. It's hard not to feel that way sometimes, like I should just be happy with what I already have, which is amazing beyond my wildest dreams (putting aside the moments which aren't, haha). Thank you for your thoughts!
DeleteWelcome back and congrats on #2!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry that you and your husband are not in sync on having another child. I have an IRL friend that went through hell and back to have her only child and her husband refused to go through that again. It is definitely important in a marriage to talk about big decisions like whether you will have another child or not though. Would he be open to seeing a marriage counselor?
Thank you, and congratulations to you on #2 too! (Better late than never, right?!) Going through hell and back after our second was born is a massive part of my husband refusing to do it again, too.
DeleteAs for a marriage counselor, I think he sees that we're at an impasse that we can't break through. I've had a referral for ages. Perhaps, after reading everybody's insight here, today will be the day I act on it?
It was so nice to hear from you.
Hiiiiii!! I just happened to be checking out a comment I got from a really old post of mine and I saw that you had updated a few days back. It is so good to "hear" your voice again. Seriously, it is so comforting.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about everything that you have been going through lately, but I am so proud that you have been seeking help and have been working through things. It was a very brave thing to do, for you and your babies.
I wish I had some advice for you, but I am afraid I don't. :\ After everything that we went through my husband is adamant about no more kids (one and done). I still feel unresolved though, but I am slowly working through it. I can relate to you on that. It is s tough pill to swallow and I think about it daily.
I am happy that you are back. Maybe this is the kick in the pants that I need to come back, too. Sending you lots of love and light!
Hi D! I feel very touched that you were so happy to hear from me, and feel just the same about seeing your comment. I hope you do use this as a kick in the pants to give us an update on yourself, too!
DeleteThank you for your empathy, and I feel for you too. Did you and your husband make the decision together, or do you feel like it was his alone? That seems to be our biggest issue. Perhaps that would be a good topic for your come-back post? I'll be looking forward to reading one!
Hello! Clearly I am way behind, but I just did a double-take when I saw you in my reader. Which is so weird because I was just thinking of you earlier today. I don’t think it’s greedy to feel like your family isn’t yet complete, and I’m really sorry you’re having such a hard time communicating that to your husband. Has anything changed on that front since you wrote this (what must seem like ages ago!)? My husband and I had many a discussion/argument regarding when to try for #2, and I am still working on coming to terms with a larger-than-I-would-like age gap. I hope you two can find a way to at least talk about this issue and hopefully come to a solution that eventually brings you both peace.
ReplyDeleteHi, friend. I just read your e-mail and will respond to that soon enough (I hope?), but wanted to pop over here to read the blog post you mentioned. (For some reason it didn't show up on my reader?) I love your writing and love that you came here to seek support from old friends. This was a hard post to read, but only because I feel so deeply for you.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny the guilt we feel for wanting to add to our family when any fertile woman wouldn't think twice about it. You certainly have a right to feel that your family isn't complete, and if anyone can understand that, I can.
And I know marriage counseling may not be the right thing for you right now, but have you spoken to your psychiatrist about the feelings of rage and so on that you feel over this? I imagine you have and I also imagine that those feelings may be impossible to resolve until you feel heard by Gilles. Even if he doesn't agree or comply, sometimes (usually) we just need to feel heard, understood, and loved. This is not something I would normally suggest, but do you think he would "hear" you better, if you were to put it all (and I mean EVERYTHING) in a letter and he was able to read it alone and have time to process it without having to face you and your grief/rage/sadness/anger right at that very moment? I want to help and I wish there was something more I could offer than that.
I do, however, promise to contact you privately soon! Hang in there, dear friend. xoxo
How to lose belly fat? The fact is though, with age comes a certain amount of fat on our waist line. The weight on that part of our bodies comes from the accumulation of fat around our organs. And while a lot of the fat we gain is going to our waist line, the majority of it is going to our liver and hips. It is not a good thing to have fatty liver disease. Therefore, you will need to find a way to target belly fat to lose it. How I can lose belly fat?
ReplyDeleteI have seen that every person wants to express all his feelings but he is not able to express his feelings properly in words but the content you have written in your post and you have expressed the words is very beautiful, like this You seem to have expressed your feelings. Hi, you are a very beautiful post writer, similarly keep writing new posts in your life, our best wishes are with you. Rice Cake
ReplyDeleteGurugram girl number
India Rice Cake
independent Girls Sector 29
golden opportunity
college girls in gurugram
Butey girl agency
vip girl gurgaon
Busty Girls in DLF Phase 3