***
A few weeks ago, we started dancing around accepting invitations for dinners, outings, apéros: "Well ... we don't want to commit, but we'll be there if we can." Or perhaps, with a coy wink, "Okay, but we might have to cancel at the last minute." Imagining, hoping, wishing ... that the guy would call, that the baby would come.
But he doesn't, baby doesn't. And it's starting to feel like perhaps it never will, like this really is just a dream, as it has seemed all along.
***
Of course, the simple truth of this situation is actually the opposite: the longer baby takes to come, the more likely it is that any given day that follows will be it. After all, no baby stays inside forever; so goes the adage, and so we were told at last week's appointment. If all looks well at tomorrow's appointment and we're advised it's okay to continue waiting, an induction will nonetheless be set for Saturday, ten days past the official due date. (I don't know how negotiable this is; when it was mentioned, it seemed better not to enter into a discussion unless and until it became relevant.)
With all the disclaimers about healthy baby and healthy mother, I absolutely do not want to be induced. My very emotional dream, which I'm strongly attached to, is of a fully natural birth, and while it's better to frame this positively, with Saturday looming, I'm beginning to feel a bit more ... negative. Negative as in I'm afraid of an induction, of being unable to handle the resultantly more frequent and more painful contractions, and of triggering a cascade of interventions that could ultimately lead to surgery and to my birth dream slipping away.
I also don't want to lose what is to us an important and special part of the birth experience – the excitement of waiting, wondering if this is really it, heading to the hospital once it all becomes clear that it is. This too is part of my dream.
I just absolutely do not want to be induced.
***
Veritable natural labor triggers or mere old wives' tales, I've started really trying them. I've been walking a lot. I've been relaxing a lot. I've been self-hypnotizing a lot. I've been doing exercises on the birthing ball. I translated the label on a bag of tea that a German friend gave me a while ago, telling me it was "for the uterus," discovered it was red raspberry leaf, and started chugging it by the teapotful. I ate another curry, gullet-decimating heartburn be damned.
I even went for acupuncture this morning. A week ago it seemed like too much effort, too little certainty for this holder of views on medicine that are more Western than Eastern, but then I ran into my neighbor, who told me that she'd had it done at a day or two post-term and then went into labor the same evening.
And yet ... nothing.
In the meantime, I keep telling myself, This guy is totally going to call. Whether he does it on his own volition or under duress, he will call. He will. He has to.
And however it will happen, in the end, there will be no other outcome than that.
| even the cat's trying to scratch this little sucker out. |
Your photo and caption made me laugh. :)
ReplyDeleteI understand your feelings about induction. I really hope something you're doing gets baby moving before Saturday!
I'll be the first to admit that I'm fairly clueless on birth plans and options for birth. That said, I'm can understand where you're coming from with induction. As much as people say it's not a big deal, there's a reason that OB/GYNs hold off until 10 days past the due date.
ReplyDeleteYou still have time and I'm hoping that all your efforts pay off. But be kind to yourself too. I've seen far to many women torture themselves needlessly because their birth plan wasn't executed the way they wanted. Yes, it's a part of the experience, but remember that a big part of all of this is also giving up control. So do what you can and remember that you ARE doing what's best for your family, regardless of the outcome.
I totally understand your fears about the induction. Hopefully this little one will make it easy on you and decide to come on his own before then! As horrible as it sounded, we "did the deed" and the next day I started my birthing time. I also went to the chiropractor that day!
ReplyDeleteIf you do have to go the induction route, don't forget to listen to your change of plans script!
Boy have I been there!!! With my first, my due date came and I just wanted him here and I let them talk me into induction. It was awful! We weren't ready! With my second I swore I didn't want induction, I prayed I'd go into labor naturally! And as my due date approached, I was making no progress and I started to panic. We tried it all! Raspberry tea (which I'm happy was yummy, don't regret trying it!), eating pineapple core, walking, DTD, etc etc etc! Decision-day was approaching when my water broke! Sadly I still ended up needing help with pitocen and eventually I had to have a c-section because my little one turned face up. I thought I was in the clear when my water broke, but even that didn't save me from inducing drugs. Since my baby didn't do too well during labor, I don't regret any of it. In the end, I was happy he was here and safe. I hope you get your natural labor! Things can change overnight so don't count yourself out yet!
ReplyDeleteDoing the deed with your man could help, even though the thought may not sound appealing right now. I have a couple friends who tried that approach and within a day they went into labor, so it could work. Worth a shot!
ReplyDeleteAs you know, I went in to labor on my induction day! I had also tried everything. If anything, all those efforts made my labor easy.
ReplyDeleteI hope that baby does decide to progress on his own and that you get the birth you want, but I also hope, like Cristy said, that you go easy on yourself :)
xoxo
I hope your little one makes his/her appearance soon! I understand your fears about induction, but if it helps, my sister was induced before her due date (because of her OB's Thanksgiving plans. I know.) and her daughter arrived within hours--before the epidural could even take full effect! So it doesn't always mean a longer, harder labor. I hope that's not what's in store for you, but I don't want you to be too freaked out if it is. :)
ReplyDeleteI was hoping that your silence meant you birthed a beautiful baby!! Alas, no cigar. I understand your fears about induction and hope your babe picks his or her birthing time soon!!
ReplyDeleteHoping you don't need an induction and that baby decides to come very soon! I can't wait for the happy update!!
ReplyDeleteOh, sweet friend, the baby WILL come. I promise you! I so hope you get the birthing experience that you dream of, but I do second what Daryl says. I was induced a week early (which I desperately didn't want either) and while I did need an epidural by the end (also something I didn't want), everything went smoothly and it's an experience I cherish. No other interventions were needed and baby arrived healthy and perfect. In the end, that's most important. A healthy mama and a healthy baby. But I still hope your dreams are fulfilled! xo
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping along with everyone else that baby will show up all on his own!
ReplyDeleteAnd I don't want to scare you, but I want you to be prepared. I think your experience will be different because you are not in the USA, but please go and read my c-section preparation post. It can't hurt to be ready and have things like a pair of drawstring pants in your hospital bag.
I keep hoping for the baby announcement! I hope it happens before saturday!
I know it's not what you want, but I was induced and it wasn't that bad in the end. I didn't get an epidural (couldn't have one because of a spine issue I have) and yes, the contractions were bad with pitocin, but everything went well in the end. The contractions would have been bad either way I think, because my baby was in a bad position and I had back labor. I was a little worried about ending up with a csection, if my body wasn't ready for induction, but thankfully that didn't happen. I didn't have any interventions I wouldn't have had with a natural labor, either, and only ended up with a small tear and a couple of stitches. Hopefully you'll go into labor on your own, but don't feel like a failure if you don't! Good luck, hon!
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed you aren't induced! I was and I didn't like it. It was ok but it did ruin things for me. That being said you'll get through it. C'mon bubba!
ReplyDeleteI've nominated you for a little award on my blog :)
ReplyDeleteThe best part about being behind in my blog reading is that I'm not left on pins and needles and can keep reading! Love your baby bump. So cute! Even with the scratch :)
ReplyDeleteThank you all for these kind words and the advice. I had the chance to read most of your comments before the big moment came, and although it was the total opposite experience of what I'd been fearing, your messages of encouragement stayed with me. And that was super!
ReplyDelete