Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Honeymoon, babymoon.

Today marks the beginning of the last third of this pregnancy. They say that the second trimester is the honeymoon trimester, and perhaps it was. The nausea and fatigue of the first one had faded away by early December, and I've felt pretty fantastic for the last few months (discrete bouts of vasovagal syncope aside). Pretty fantastic, except.

Except.

Oh my goodness, except.

The heartburn; oh, the heartburn. I thought I knew what heartburn was. No. Turns out that it and I were mere acquantainces, almost-strangers who glanced at each other and nodded from across a crowded room. No longer. We're intimate bedmates, constant companions, one burning and roiling and clingingly persistant, resistant to both over-the-counter and prescription medications, the other gulping and gasping and afraid to eat, wondering unanswerably which is worse: the first-trimester inability to stomach anything or the second-trimester ability to down everything (well, almost; still no vegetables, those repulsive beasts) but then to pay for it in spades?

***

It's coincidentally perfect that we spent the last three days of this honeymoon trimester on a babymoon of sorts. One of our wedding presents was a gift certificate for a stay at The Nests, a small collection of little cabins wrapped around tree trunks and perched up among the branches in a not-so-far-away Swiss valley.

The Nests are booked long in advance, and when we made this reservation shortly after our wedding for a very distant future date, we asked if we could bring our hoped-for soon-to-arrive baby with us. Not a problem, they said. Not a problem, except that, you know, that hoped-for soon-to-arrive baby didn't actually materialize.

Nevertheless, there is one on the way now, and this lovely little getaway was a much-appreciated opportunity to relax and really enjoy each other's company, and only each other's company, on what was probably the last holiday in a long time – although clambering up into a glorified treehouse during one's seventh month of pregnancy brings a unique aspect to the concept of babymoon. I'll stay on solid ground from now on, at least until the next wave of hope for what is to come pulls me back up into the clouds.

32 comments:

  1. What a perfect babymoon! I hope you share a photo or two!

    I had awful heartburn too, but medication seemed to help. I'm sorry you're not getting any relief. It did seem to ease up during the third trimester and I hope it does for you too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty perfect!

      Thanks - I hope so too. In the meantime, I'm learning what foods are best avoided ... tomatoes are high on that list!

      Delete
  2. Ugh sorry about the heartburn! I have only had one bout with it and it wasn't pretty. Kept me up all night. I can't imagine having it again. Ick. I found that actually the beginning of my third trimester is when I felt the best. This may be because this is when I changed my diet dramatically, or maybe because I deep down know that I will soon get to meet my baby. Not sure. I hope your heartburn resolves and that the third tri goes fast for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never doubt the cure-all capabilities of that deep-down feeling ... but you're probably right about the diet too. Bring on the peanut butter cookies! I'm going to have to get over my fear of the peanut butter here (additives galore) and try that recipe you suggested a little while ago.

      Delete
  3. Oh the heartburn. I had the blandest diet in the world because of the heartburn. They say that the baby has a head full of hair if you have a lot of heartburn and when I saw Reagan with her head of dark hair it was all worth it =)So glad you had a little getaway and relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bland helps, but the crazy thing is, I get heartburn even from water. WATER. That's interesting about the full head of hair - only problem is, I'll have doubts about the paternity if baby comes out like that ;)

      Delete
  4. That place sounds awesome- please do post pictures!!

    I'm sorry to hear about your heartburn- do you have access to charcoal pills over there? They are natural and work in about 10-20 minutes. I take them over medication whenever I get heartburn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I don't know, but I'll definitely find out! At this point, I'd even try barbecue briquets ... they're made of charcoal, right?!

      Delete
  5. What a perfect babymoon :) hope you find something to pacify the heartburn beast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that everything is progressing well! All the best in the last trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear about the baby moon....sounds amazing. Uggggg heartburn is the devil. It's been the worst symptom for me so far and I'm not excited with the fact that it will only get worse. Thinking of you darling!!! Happy last 3rd of this pregnancy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That babymoon sounds perfectly perfect. You so deserved that little getaway! And I do hope the heartburn resolves itself soon. I never suffered it (sorry), but I know so many people who have and I've heard how painful it can be. Hoping it lets up enough so that you can do your best to enjoy this final trimester. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you! I hope your record continues with this pregnancy, too. I'm enjoying nonetheless, although with fingers crossed that this abates soon.

      Delete
  9. That sounds amazing! I would love to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry about the heartburns but the nests sound like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heartburn was HORRID while pregnant (and I had no idea what it was until I explained the pain to my chronically-heartburn-suffering-hubby).. on the up side, it was instantly gone after delivery! Hang in there, it's no fun. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have newfound sympathy for an ex who suffered terribly - and regret for my tantrum during a road trip over his wanting to turn around and go 45 minutes in the wrong direction, just to buy some Tums ....

      Delete
  12. That sounds like the perfect place for a babymoon. You know, tree climbing aside.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Nests! I can't get over all the symbolism happening here. Heh... heartburn. Yah, I'd never had heartburn before pregnancy. Coming to terms with the reality of HOW MUCH IT SUCKS was a process. Dang, I'm sorry it ended up gettin' ya. However, third trimester. This is very good news indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Symbolic indeed. And I appreciate that! Yep, third trimester is very, very good news ... news well worth any side effects that may accompany it. I'll keep that in mind as I throw back yet another Tum.

      Delete
  14. Lovely that you were able to have a little babymoon! I've always wanted to stay in one of those treehouse cabins. I would love to see pictures! Hope the last trimester zings by for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a fun trip! And thank you, I hope so too - just not too quickly ....

      Delete
  15. Oh I hear you! I've been saying for weeks that I feel like I need to rip my oesophagus out for a few minutes... S thinks that's a bit graphic but is starting to understand - and has done some late-night antacid runs for me on several occasions! The only things that are helping are: drinking almond milk, not eating tomatoes or anything else acidic late in the day, starting to sleep a bit more upright. I'm also taking prescription Rentidine (sp?) which is equivalent to Zantac and chewing tums like they're going out of style!

    Oh and yay for babymoons! we had a lovely one but S commented that it was definitely a bit less... active... than our actual honeymoon. most probably because I now need his help putting on my shoes! ah, romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I hear you on not eating tomatoes. The worst bout I had was after eating an awesome homemade roasted eggplant and tomato soup that left me wanting to, as you say, just rip out my esophagus. And stomach. And throat.

      As for antacids, luckily I stocked up in bulk while in the US (American packaging sizes come in handy during times like these), but am working my way through them quicker than expected. S is a sweetie, going on midnight searches for you - not that you don't deserve such treatment!

      And "romantic" was not the word I'd use to describe our babymoon, either. Would love to hear more about yours!

      Delete
  16. Oh, the heartburn. Mine is already awful and I fear it's only going to get worse as I get closer to third trimester.

    Your babymoon sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed! Here's hoping your heartburn improves - and if it does, please let me know your secret.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.