A few weeks ago, I mentioned that we think we're set on baby stuff. Here's an inventory of it all, with accompanying explanations, which I've pulled together for a couple of reasons. I love getting advice and gathering ideas from other people, especially those who are in situations similar to mine, and I wanted to carry that forward. Also, keeping in mind the old adage "I knew everything about raising kids until I had one," I'm sure this list will, in the future, prove to me exactly how little I know right now.
Everything we chose was based primarily on two main factors. First, our lifestyle. We're active and want to include baby in activities like walking, hiking, snowshoeing, and traveling. We live in a small city riddled with steep hills and rugged cobblestones and get around mostly by foot or public transportation (bus, metro, train), although we do have a car for weekend jaunts into the countryside or the mountains.
As small as the city may be, our apartment, a fourth-floor walk-up in a building with no elevator, is smaller: about 60 square meters, or just over 600 square feet. It's divided almost equally into three separate rooms – kitchen, living room, bedroom – plus one small bathroom, a long hallway, and a little balcony with a peek over the Alps. Thus there will be no nursery. There will be this, though: a quick walk to the lake, nearby parks and green spaces, a peaceful and friendly neighborhood, awesome neighbors, quick access to all forms of public transportation, and more time at home for papa (thanks to office proximity).
Second, our philosophies: Reduce, reuse, recycle. Less is more. Spend little where it doesn't matter, spend more where it does.
Keeping all that in mind, here's what we chose and why.
Transportation
Stroller: Uppababy Vista in slate blue. Yes, it's big and heavy and has a higher price point, but ... it has excellent wheels and suspension, important for comfort on cobblestone roads and trails; it's durable and long-lasting; the seat is high-positioned to keep baby farther away from vehicle fumes; it's well-suited to tall people like us; and it has two handy add-on options for additional children (one can dream, right?). I'll just have to remind myself of these strong points while I'm dragging it up and down three flights of stairs. We also got the Babyganoosh footmuff in black. It's cold here in winter!
Baby carrier: Ergobaby Bundle of Joy carrier and infant insert in galaxy grey. Comfortable, cute, and highly recommended by friends. I imagine this will be our primary means of transportation in the city center and on mountain trails alike.
Gear carrier: Osprey FlapJill daypack in black, which is really more of a charcoal grey. Cutesy "diaper bags" didn't really appeal to me, nor are they comfortably compatible with an on-foot, on-the-go, out-all-day lifestyle. This daypack is ergonomic, well-organized, and fairly sleek and urban. Ergobaby offers a light backpack that can be attached to the carrier. I ordered it and had a try. Yeah. No. This should do the trick instead, quite happily.
Carseat: Still on the shopping list, as is a new car (but no pressure ... baby can come home on public transportation!).
Sleeping
Bassinet: Another great feature of the Uppababy Vista is its beautiful bassinet rated for overnight sleeping. Baby will spend its nights in here, snuggled next to our bed, until it outgrows it at around six months.
Bassinet bedding: This flannel bassinet pad in white, to protect the mattress, and several fitted jersey crib sheets, also in white. To keep baby warm, its cousin sweetly gave us a bunch of gently used sleep sacks. Nice! For the early days, we also snagged four aden + anais (or "anus + anus," as my sister calls them, quite innocently – truly!) cotton muslin swaddle blankets, which can be used for many purposes once the swaddling days are over.
Crib: A hand-me-down from friends. Nice! This too will go in our bedroom, but only when baby is on the point of outgrowing the bassinet. We want to guard our extra space as long as possible!
Crib bedding: To be determined once the crib is assembled.
Furniture
Eh. We haven't felt the need to do much in this category. Sleeping's already taken care of. Changing will be done on a thick towel on the floor. As for the rest ....
Clothing storage: I have a decent-sized closet, half of which contains corporate wear that has not been worn in three years and is not likely to be worn any time soon. This stuff will be donated or cellared, and we'll replace the rods with pull-out drawers. Baby's clothes will live in these drawers.
Toy storage: In the near future, once baby is ready to play, we'll remove some bookshelves (and some books, sniffle) from the living room and add something like this Ikea Expedit shelving unit, horizontally placed for baby-friendliness and furnished with pull-out baskets to keep toys in. This unit can also serve as a room divider of sorts.
Seating: Baby's cousin kindly offered us her outgrown baby bouncer. Since my sister had just sold their Bumbo the week before we "announced" to our family, I tracked down another, along with an accompanying play tray.
Clothing
My sister gave me sacks and sacks of baby clothes that are beautiful, hardly worn, and totally girly. If baby's a she, that will be great; if not ... well. He can wear the least objectionable items while we're at home and nobody else is looking. (I have a feeling I will be okay with this until photographic evidence of precious at-home moments reveals exactly how miserable a darling little boy looks shrouded in purple ruffles, and we're left with nothing to put in our album.)
In addition, a few little green, yellow, and red additions to the wardrobe have been sweetly gifted to us, and let's not forget the bag of stuff I bought during the last pregnancy and ended up shoving down into the cellar during a post-miscarriage fit of "fuck you, universe!" There were some pleasant-to-rediscover, gender-neutral goodies in there.
Feeding
For mama's comfort: In preparation for hoped-for breastfeeding, I bought one soft-shell maternity bra to tide me over until I can shop for my post-birth size, lanolin cream, and breast pads. My sister gave me her Boppy.
Pump and bottles: My sister is weaning her baby soon and then will give me her Medela Pump In Style pump and all kinds of accessories, including bottles. I'm not sure if I will pump, or how often, but it will be nice to have the back-up on hand if needed.
Burp cloths: I snagged three burp cloths in blue, designated expressly for "baby boys" by Amazon's "blue = boy" sex-assignment coloring system. To be determined: if this will balance out the purple ruffles. My stepmom also gave a new life to the legs of my really cute pyjamas that had somehow acquired a lot of little holes in unfortunate locations and thus were no longer wearable as such.
Bathing
Tub: My sister recommended simply placing baby on a towel in the bathtub. Easy and efficient. If not, don't think we're terrible, but we have a low, wide bucket used for mopping that I'm sure can be repurposed. If it weren't for my views on price-value relationships, I'd have the Blooming Bath. In every color.
Linens: I thought baby could just dry off with a corner of one of our towels until I fell prey to this set of four little washcloths and a hooded terry bath towel in ducky yellow during a late-night Amazon spree.
Other stuff
Books, toys, rattles, etc: We have a small collection of hand-me-down treasures, including some from our own childhoods, that will be added to when needed.
Receiving blankets: I wasn't certain these were really necessary, but this pack of five receiving blankets in blue birds and trees were too cute to resist.
***
That's it. Other than the bouncer and the Bumbo, which aren't here yet (they couldn't fit into my baggage but will be brought over for us soon during a family visit), and the three-months-plus clothing (which has been stuffed into vacuum-seal bags, sucked into flat little pancakes, and tucked away in the cellar for now), everything fits into the stroller, bassinet and basket both. Baby stuff on wheels!
***
That's it, but is that enough? Conversely, is that too much? Bloggie friends who've been through this early stage of babyhood, is there anything you couldn't live without that isn't on this list but that you think I too shouldn't live without? And conversely, is there anything here you didn't find essential or useful? Any and all words of advice will be much appreciated!
Looks like a great list to me:-) We're trying to keep everything to a minimum, too, due to a small apartment and a huge dislike of "stuff".
ReplyDeleteI couldn't do without a changing pillow. Especially when the boys got a bit older and started rolling over.....the pillow's sides are a bit higher and this kept them where I wanted them, at least for a little while.
ReplyDeleteI breastfed both boys for many months and used to just change their diapers on the bed between my legs in the middle of the night. But have a towel or burp cloths ready for when they pee while you're changing the diaper!! (especially if it's a boy! I had to get up so often to change my pj's because I had baby-pee all over them :-))
I think this is a great list. You really don't need too much 'stuff.' I love our changing pillow as well (I linked to it in my post below), but when space is a premium, you don't NEED it. We didn't like the receiving blankets - only work well the first cpl weeks, and then they're too small to be useful. The muslin blankets are awesome - can be used for anything and everything!
ReplyDeleteAs far as clothes go, Stella lived in onesies with a swaddle or footie pajamas (zip up - not snap!) for the first few months. You'll have plenty of time to figure out more clothes if need be! Pants are a total pain in the butt on babies, and socks fall off.
http://mycheapversionoftherapy.com/2012/01/24/the-nursery-necessities/
Best nighttime nursing bra ever -- aka wear all day with your yoga pants nursing bra:
http://www.apeainthepod.com/Product.asp?product_Id=195540361&MasterCategory_Id=MC29
Great list!
This matches our list pretty well. One thing I ended up buying in a moment of desperation is a swing. C isn't a big fan of his bouncer yet and I needed somewhere I could put him down that he'd be content. I hear that some kids like them and some don't.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I was given nursing tanks and love them. A nursing tank and yoga pants Has become my go-to outfit.
This is a really lovely list. We've always been terrified of acquiring a ridiculous amount of 'stuff' when we (eventually) have a baby, so it's nice to see someone doing it like we hope to do it. And I can get behind you with the no nursery thing. Our tiny house sounds like your apartment, except that we also have a very small second bedroom. But does an infant really need a room of its own, complete with decorations? It seems like it would be easier to have baby right next to you for nighttime feedings, anyway.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fantastic, thoughtful list! I think you pretty much have everything covered. I will say, though, that I found our swing invaluable. There were some nights when I couldn't get my daughter to sleep anywhere else. I know some babies hate them, though, and they can take up a lot of room. Any hope of borrowing one or buying one used just in case?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this list! I want to print it and save it!
ReplyDeleteIkea expedit is great for everything! :) I like your minimalism, you will find that there are certain things that you'll barely use and wonder why you got it. We used the boppy newborn lounger everyday for the first two months. We still use it a lot, but not like we used to. It stays on the couch. It's nice to have a place to put baby when you need to do things with both hands. Like some others have mentioned...a good nursing sleep bra or tank is essential. Medela's nursing sleep bra is my favorite and I've tried quite a few. Also, since you've had some crazy thyroid issues - the lactation consultants told me that people with thyroid problems can have a supply issue so they suggested I pump from day one and after every daytime feeding to help establish my supply. Wanted to let you know as I had no idea!
ReplyDeleteI'd add on a few first aid items - a few different thermometers (ear and rectal - as scary as that sounds!), some baby Tylenol and Motrin for after shots, lanolin for yourself.
ReplyDeleteAlso, my MIL insisted that we have cloth diapers (not real ones, more like cloth squares) and they turned out to be a life saver. I used them for all messes, spit up, leaking, all the time. Also for covering up the little boy pee pee during diaper changes.
As another poster mentioned, the changing pad can be useful - you'll be changing a lot of diapers for those first several months and doing them all on the floor can be rough on your back... and you might not want to do the diaper changing on your bed because of the potential for poop shooting (very real and very disgusting).
I think you have a great attitude about the stuff!
I love your stuff! I have found that parenting can be quite the equipment intensive sport. We hope to go minimal as well. I am trying to cover, Eat, Sleep, Poop, ride safely in a car, and not worry about the rest. I think you have everything you will need to get started and then when you get into this adventure you will know if there is something else you need or just want to make your life easier.
ReplyDeleteI did drool a little the first time I saw the UppaBaby in the store. I am trying to decide between that and the Britax b ready system. Love the osprey pack!
great list! we LOVE(d) our ergo! so great!
ReplyDeleteand as for bathing, newbies can be bathed in a sink too, with a towel. as my boys got a little bigger my hubs would bathe with them in the tub, great way for them to bond with dad!
All of this advice is so thoughtful and just wonderful - thank you! I know that not everything can be prepared for or figured out in advance, but some trusted thoughts on how best to prepare are always, always welcome, and I am thankful for that.
ReplyDeleteAnd for those of you who found this helpful - I'm glad! May you put your own, personalized version of this list to good use very soon.
Hello Elizabeth, I have taken a quick look at your ideas, as I don't dare to really look at baby stuff yet, but I hope so much to be soon in the situation where I can come back here and browse quietly. I can relate so much to all of your previous posts (fears and hopes) during those long first 12 weeks.
ReplyDeleteRest well !
I understand completely ... one "haie" at a time, and I too hope you will feel ready and confident enough to make your own list of baby stuff. Thinking of you and sending good thoughts to your growing little one in the meantime!
Delete