Thursday, February 28, 2013

There is a stroller in my living room and other unbelievable truths.

It's unbelievable, but it's true. It's there, attracting dust and feline interest and waiting for a baby as much as we are.

Also unbelievable but true: we started the birth preparation classes this week. During the entire session, I was on the verge of tears many times, surrounded by a sea of baby bumps that made me feel lost and deceptive until I made myself realize, again and again, that I have one too, albeit smaller (but growing – ahem), that this is happening to us too, that we belong in this class too.

Admittedly, some tears were residual from the day's recognition – and doctor order – that I really need to slow down. Another lakeside power march had ended up as yet another bench-to-bench crawl home – and I shouldn't have even tried to walk for exercise anyway, given the recent flare-up of a pregnancy-unrelated lower back problem that has left me hobbling around with a grimace and a limp. My body is changing, and with it so must my expectations of what it can do, which is always easier said than done.

And some tears were for my sweet husband, who until that point had shown little curiosity about the birthing process or, really, about anything baby-related that is concrete rather abstract. But he was so interested, so willing to learn, so happy to listen and to watch and then try the instructor's recommendations for couples-based birthing ball exercises, that I couldn't but be overwhelmed with love and gratitude for him, my partner in all that came before and, now, in this.

26 comments:

  1. Take it easy you! I feel like I need to come over there and monitor your walks. Consider my finger wagged in your direction.

    I love that you have a pram ready and waiting, that is so exciting. Strangely I have a double buggy in the boot of my car. But that is for work and so is far less exciting than yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a threat I might have to take you up on!

      And that double buggy in the boot better be yours one day very soon.

      Delete
  2. Awww I am so happy that your hubby is getting more and more into it! My husband has been the same way. Now he is almost more into it than me. Haha.

    We are totally having the same issues with slowing down. I don't like it either and don't want to do it. Up until this past week, walking up to 5 miles a day has been no issue, but now it is becoming very uncomfortable and might be causing the contractions. In a few months we'll be back out there again, in full force, pushing our baby strollers, looking like hot mamas again!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During dinner with friends last night, they told us that he went off to tour a potential new apartment while she was going through labor (a rather long one). As long as our husbands don't do that ... !

      Love your idea of a few months from now. Cheers to that - from my couch!

      Delete
  3. I second Luna's finger wag!! 'just relax'! (please don't kill me ;)!) It's all very exciting. That baby is on his/her way to that stroller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he. If there was ever a time to relax, this would be it. Advice taken!

      Delete
  4. take it easy there! I keep being mystified as to why I'm so tired and then S has to remind me. Also, big or small I think there's the same amount of insecurity (I cried at a party the other day when someone commented on my bump size) - so hard to win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there's anyone who ever says that a bump is just the right size? Seems that most people think they're either too big or too small. All that tells me is that, either way, we shouldn't listen.

      Take good care of yourself, too.

      Delete
  5. It will become more and more real as your bump gets more visible along with the movement. Take it easy on yourself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The movement has really increased lately - that totally helps!

      Delete
  6. Our cat was so intrigued with any and all things baby related. He usually sleeps in the nursery or her crib (she is obviously not in it). Yet for all his curiosity he could have cared less about the actual baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL ... typical cat! I wonder sometimes what goes on in their funny little minds.

      Delete
  7. Yes, please take it easy. I was shocked at how much I had to slow down third trimester. You must take care if yourself!!! Your body needs to be strong for growing and having that bebe. Enjoy this time with hubs. It's so wonderful that y'all are learning together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was ever a good excuse for couch-lounging, I suppose this is it - I just hoped to be able to keep fitter longer. I'll be looking forward to long walks with baby in a few months!

      Delete
  8. Listen to your doctor and your body! And enjoy your class! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting! Like a little light at the end of the tunnel.

      Delete
  9. I love the part about your sweet husband getting so into the class. That is great! I'm with everyone else though - please slow down!! I know it's hard when you aren't accustomed to it, but follow those doctor orders and slow down a bit. (Said with love). That stroller doesn't have too much longer to wait! Woo-Hoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be more fun with the stroller anyway. Thanks for the echo of the good advice, all of which I've taken to heart.

      Delete
  10. Oh goodness, girl, you really must slow down! Don't hurt yourself. Your body is changing and will be able to do some things less than what you are used to, but eventually, once you have a baby here, it will get back to normal. Of course, then you may be too tired to have any energy to actually do those things you have missed doing. But in the end, it's all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I suppose finding the time and the energy will be the next challenge! But a good one ... and I don't doubt it's all worth it.

      Delete
  11. Slow down! I know it's not easy (I miss my dance shoes so much!) but you're going to hurt yourself at this rate.

    I'm glad your husband is getting more into everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ... it's nice to actually be doing something together to that end. Here's to pulling your dance shoes out of the closet again in just a few months' time!

      Delete
  12. So sweet that your husband is getting into the birthing class. Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you find the cat in the stroller now I wonder? Glad your husband is participating in the class, how sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.