***
I took my week off, and I slowed way down and got to know the bus schedule, and things got better. I was almost fully mobile again, albeit at a reduced pace, and then last weekend I decided to vacuum the floor and clean the bathroom. And just like that, all the progress vanished. Back to the beginning of back recovery I went.
Yesterday I found myself in the center of town, almost unable to move. The lumbar pain is sufficient for that, but I'd also just had to walk at a brisk pace – brisk for a granny, in any case – to catch a train that a not-on-schedule bus had made me late for. And these days, walking at any pace faster a snail's is enough to bring on vicious cramping and contractions.
I had to move, though, if for no other reason than having to pee. (Of course I did; it had been more than thirty minutes since my last trip to the toilet, and twice hourly seems to be about my current rate.) So I entered a shopping center where I knew there'd be some available and slowly, painfully, made my way over to them.
I reached the door just when I didn't think I'd be able to take another step and opened it to find ... not the toilets but rather a flight of stairs leading down to them. Stairs are killing me these days. A step downwards makes me wince in pain and causes my leg to shudder beneath me. A step upwards is almost as bad. Add in the cramps and yowling bladder notwithstanding, I couldn't handle these; I just burst into tears and plopped into a nearby chair for a good wallow in the mud of self-pity.
Shortly I felt a tap on my shoulder and turned to see a middle-aged woman who'd been watching me stumble around. Yet another new friend to be made during a pregnancy-related "crisis," I thought at first.
But no. She had questions not about me but rather about a phrase she'd scribbled down in a little notebook. "XO, kisses." Somebody had sent her an email, ending it with that. "What does it mean?" she asked me, in French. I explained and the smile on her face as she understood brought one back to my own, and I wondered who'd sent her the message to make her so happy.
But how did she know I was capable of a translation from English? I also wondered that, afterwards. Perhaps because any good Suissesse would have been more capable than me of keeping a stiffer upper lip in face of what is surely not the most formidable of foes.
Or perhaps the not-so-gently uttered "Fuuuuuuuuck!" that came out of me when I saw the stairway beyond the door was the giveaway.
***
Rest of the story: I pulled myself together. I descended the stairs and peed. Then I went home and took a nap and a painkiller. Things became good again. And then Gilles said he thought we shouldn't go baby-stuff-shopping this weekend because I should really rest instead, and another fit of nerves commenced. If we didn't have this little sucker to hold responsible, we'd both be totally over me.
![]() |
| to think I used to appreciate every step ... |

Ugh. I'm so sorry for this ebb and flow of pain you've been experiencing. I agree with the hubs...rest for a while, then shop! Really hope you do take care of yourself and find some fun way to stay occupied during the downtime. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the thoughts! My sister sent me Babywise and I've been engrossed in it while resting today. Figured it was time to think beyond the due date!
DeleteI'm so sorry that you are still in so much pain. I hope it doesn't stick around for the rest of your pregnancy!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, me too ... I've had back trouble for at least four of these last eight months, and that's more than enough!
DeleteLook after yourself lady, slow and steady. Plenty of time for shopping I am sure, or get the stuff online.
ReplyDeleteOnline shopping, what - and miss the chance for the obligatory fight in the Ikea parking lot?!
DeleteOnline shopping is nice if you can get what you need/want that way :) I had bad round ligament pain during my pregnancy. It sucks to be in pain until that moment though, especially when you have things you want to do and need to get done.
ReplyDeleteoops :( I deleted part of my comment before I submitted it. "Until that moment" is giving birth. All that pain went away as soon as I gave birth, which was weird to me because I really thought I'd have issues with it for the rest of my life.
DeleteI do hope that you feel better after resting though!
It is so frustrating - to look around and see so many things to do, both routine maintenance and baby preparation, and not be able to do them. I'm glad your pain disappeared immediately and can only hope mine does the same once the pressure of this extra weight on my back is decreased.
DeleteVery sorry to hear you're in so much pain. Take it easy on yourself. And remember a lot of the shopping can be completed online.
ReplyDeleteHope you're feeling better very soon.
That is true, but part of the fun is in the looking, and I don't want to miss that! Thank you for the thoughts.
DeleteMan, I'm so sorry that the pain is so awful. I'm glad that there is a pain pill that can beat it back a bit. I don't recall the nature of your back pain, but I do know that B at Created Family had great success working with a chiropractor. Anything to make it stop!!
ReplyDeleteWell, it's just acetaminophen, so I'm hoping that its placebo effect is stronger than it is. I've been to an osteopath and just started physical therapy - if that doesn't work, a chiropractor just might be next!
DeleteOh no!!! Please rest and I'm hoping you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks, I hope so too!
DeleteTake care of yourself, lady. I hope a few more days of rest will make you feel better. And from now on, it's Gilles' job to clean the bathroom!
ReplyDeleteYou know, he's been saying that for the last couple of months, but I think I'm really going to listen to him (and you!) this time!
DeleteI'm sorry you had a setback. :( Back issues are no fun. I hope you're feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteNo they aren't! Thanks, Stasy.
DeleteI'm sorry you've experienced so much back pain through this pregnancy. To finally think you've found a bathroom, only to find you have to descend stairs. Ugghh!! I hate that feeling of having to pee, but you can't move, or your bladder will lose it. I've been there! Then waddled cautiously a few steps, hoping nobody was watching... Sigh. You take care of yourself and that baby :)
ReplyDeleteAhh yes, the I-have-to-pee-so-bad-it-hurts waddle! Hehe. Thank you for your thoughts!
DeleteOh no, how horrible. I'm sorry you have to have this issue during pregnancy, hope it stays away with you taking it easy and rest. Thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteThanks Marwil ... I appreciate your thoughts!
Delete