Sunday, December 16, 2012

"Announcing," as if we would.

You know how saying or hearing or reading the same word over and over again can make that word seem really strange and senseless, like it's not a real word anymore?

For ages the pregnancy message board I love to snicker at was inundated with the word announce. Announce, announce, announce, announce. "When are you announcing?" "Have you announced yet?" "How did you announce?" "Anyone have any ideas on cute ways to announce?" "We just announced!" "Look at our announcement pic!"

The word began to seem really, really strange. It also began to seem really incredibly fucking annoying.

Fortunately, it has had the opportunity to regain its sense of authenticity and shed a bit of its odiousness, since most people on the May 2013 board have long since "announced" (and have moved on to other scintillating subjects, like those in the form of an invitation to click through and find out what kind of child some random stranger is having: "It's a .................!!!").

We have not, nor will we ever. But the cat is creeping slowly out of the bag.

I told the necessary people at work last week after the 16-week appointment confirmed that all was still going well. We are telling Gilles's family before we leave for the US, and my family when we arrive, as soon as possible because among that group of fêtards, my turning down a sure-to-be-offered tasty glass of whatever would be akin not just to letting the cat out of the bag but also to waving a magic wand over said docile beast and transforming it into a growling, prancing tiger.

There will be no gimmicks, but nor will there be words. I don't think either of us could find them. There will be a pretty little box, and inside there will be a picture. That should say it all.

11 comments:

  1. A picture's worth a thousand words, right? I know "announcing" is a scary step to take, but I'm glad you're taking it. Only one more milestone in a whole long list of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That says plenty. And I'm sure that your families' reactions will make the stress of "announcing" worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are going to be able to tell your family in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a wonderful trip home! I'm glad you will be able to tell them during the holidays and in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great trip home! I'm glad that you will be able to tell them in person to see their reaction! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As the old adage says, a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm thrilled you are here my friend. So, so thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm 12 weeks and a lazy announcer too. People wonder how I've held off this long.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a great idea!! I can't wait to hear of the happy reactions! I still haven't 'announced' on FB or in any way other than sending the Christmas card to close friends and family. FB can suck it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I relate to your 'lack of announcing' and did the same thing. Do what's best for you, and I think the box will be perfect. Merry Christmas, you are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We announced to our family by handing them an ultrasound picture, too. It was pretty cool to see their reactions. Hope you are haing a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. merry, merry, mama! safe travels and enjoy sharing your wonderful news. all the best.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.