Friday, December 14, 2012

Perhaps we'll have twins!

I don't mean in the "message board poster who disbelieves the singleton ultrasound" kind of way.

On that note, please enjoy:





















No, I mean in the "my dear husband is suffering from man pregnancy" kind of way.

We were watching the news a couple days ago and a short clip on Couvade syndrome came on. I was mesmerized and then laughed loudly and heartily and pointed at him. "That's what you've got!"

And he does.

I'm fatigued, sleeping away the afternoons and the weekends every chance I can find. So's he, and so does he. Despite the fatigue, my nights are restless and insomniac due to a constant need to pee, and the sleep I do get is marred by bizarre, too-real dreams. He too sleeps badly at night, complaining of vivid nightmares and a suddenly small bladder.

"I've got such a terrible headache," he sighs a few times a week, hand to the forehead, as I swallow another dose of fetus-safe painkiller that does little to curb the hormonal-induced pounding in my brain.

I'm still nauseated, even now, although it's much more occasional than before. I recently learned that although baby weighs almost "one fondue," baby doesn't actually like fondue – as well I'd suspected; tragically, the thought of melted cheese turns my stomach, but we were with friends and I'd already shot down the aperitif so couldn't exactly turn down the main course, too. That night I took a bowl to bed with me "just in case" and listened to Gilles beside me, groaning about his own fondue-induced sickness. (Was I sympathetic? What do you think he deserves?)

"I'm fat!" I proclaimed happily, unable – finally – to button my jeans, looking down and hoping that something might be making itself shown. (Baby might now be "one fondue," but I have gained ... nothing.) "I'm fat," he proclaimed less happily, looking down and hoping that nothing was showing. (Really, dear, it isn't.)

As for eating habits, well, who ate all the cornichons? Not me. And the tubs of ice cream sweetly proffered when I felt so miserable? Again, not me.

The signs are clear: the man is expecting. All I can hope is that the baby is mine.

22 comments:

  1. Haha, too funny! I guess at least he can relate to some of what you are going through. The only thing is that when you have the baby you'll lose a ton of weight right off the bat. He will not have that advantage! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was walking around with his pants unbuttoned the other day - like I have been. Egads.

      Delete
  2. That comment. My brain it hurts.

    I love that Gilles is having a sympathy pregnancy. Wouldn't it be cool if you could really have twins that way with each one doing half the work. I guess my sister and her girlfriend really could do that one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure ... I'd prefer to keep him in the role of father - ONLY!!

      I have so many screenshots of inane comments. Should really gather them all into one hilarious post.

      Delete
  3. Oh yay! I am so excited for you two. Tell Gilles congratulations for me.

    No really that is too funny. I wonder what it is that causes that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been congratulated ;)

      It's a funny phenomonen - the guy in the news clip really gained a lot of weight and said he felt other symptoms very strongly! Strange.

      Delete
  4. Aww, it's so sweet of him to become pregnant the same time as you! I wonder if he'll snap out of it when it comes time to deliver...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that makes me giggle! I think my hubs had the exact opposite problem (is there such a thing?) when I was pregnant with my daughter. He was full of energy and while I was gaining weight steadily, he was losing it (which thoroughly annoyed me). By the time she was born, my husband was at his lowest weight in all the years I'd known him. Men...they are funny, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha, "All I can hope is that the baby is mine" made me spit out my coffee a little. The "one fondue" baby is lucky to have a momma with such a good sense of humor and I'm so happy to be following along on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I'm so happy to have found you too - your posts are always inspiring.

      Delete
  7. Haha love it! There are days Matt seems to have cravings and makes up for my lack of cravings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as he's not taking his cravings out on your stash o' goodies! That happens here sometimes - drives me mad.

      Delete
  8. Thats too funny!!! I think its cute your hubs has pregnancy symptoms as well. My hubs didn't and at times when I was pigging out I just wish he would have some artichoke with me (yes my idea of pigging out is stuffed artichoke....I don't eat sweets, I don't like chocolate or cake or cookies or any sweet treats).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, Mrs. H! I tried to leave you a goodbye message, but your blog was already closed. Stuffed artichoke - now that's one craving I'd never heard of before!

      Delete
  9. Ha ha this is hilarious. Hopefully he doesn't start to have back pain and discharge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is awesome. And just think of all the money you can make selling story if he pops one out, too;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we'll get the doc to run an ultrasound at the next appointment - a little pre-publicity for the big story.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.