Monday, December 10, 2012

Just because it's history doesn't mean it needs to repeat itself.

Eleven months ago, we spent a beautiful cold clear winter's day with friends at their home in a small village not very far from here. Their baby slept and his toddler brother played quietly on the floor while we dined. They'd lived a few years in the US, and although I was happy to see that the wine was poured into nice American-sized glasses that had accompanied them back from their travels, I was newly pregnant and refused with a wink at Gilles.

(On the sizing: wine here is served by the deciliter in vessels that resemble shot glasses. Upon arriving, I was initially pleasantly astonished at the price of a glass in restaurants. Then I learned how much you actually get for that price and my astonishment turned to the unpleasant variety.)

After eating, we all bundled up and went on a walk through the village and neighboring fields. "This will be us next year," we whispered disbelievingly to each other, looking at the baby being pushed along, cozy in his bassinet. "This will be us in two years," we whispered, again, watching the toddler laughingly admire cows and chickens and pigs and other rural Swiss backyard animals. So many beautiful little families walking towards us, on the same path, walking behind us, like ghosts of our dreamed-for future ... "This will be us!"

We were so happy.

Then the next day we had our first prenatal visit and all those dreams – those shameless, foolish certainties – were shattered.

So that is why I felt a little trepidatious about today's 16-week appointment after having spent yesterday, another beautiful cold clear winter's day, sledding and snow-fighting with other good friends and their own little ones, Gilles and I taking a break from the joy and cheer only to whisper disbelievingly to each other, "This could be us next year." And then we did some math and thought about taking what would be a four-month-old sledding and reconsidered, whispering, "Well, this could be us in two years."

The "will" had turned to "could," but the hope was still there, along with the fear, that now-constant companion, that the "could" might be snatched away at any moment, as the "will" was before it.

Even if it is to be – snatched away, that is (and isn't it, for all of us, one day?) – it won't be today. Baby is still there, still living, still thriving – quite well, in fact, if those measurements of head and legs and other baby morsels that showed corresponding gestational ages of 17 and 18(!) weeks mean anything. (Pictures here, soon.)

I'm not religious, but I have made my fair share of demands to the pregnancy gods in the last few months. This wonderful appointment can't be credited to them, though. Given that this weekend we made our first major purchase, financially if not emotionally – an Internet order of a baby carrier that doesn't usually go on sale but that was part of a special site-wide promotion, hence the irresistibility – this seemed more apt: "Please, retail gods, don't let me have to return this item."

The item is still ours, for now and hopefully for years to follow.

26 comments:

  1. I'm very happy to see this. Congrats on another great appointment!

    And I would be very very sad if I had to drink wine in small glasses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      It is rather saddening. There is a positive side though - small glasses = more glasses!

      Delete
  2. It's so unfair how that "will" gets turned into a "could" for some of us. But I'm very happy to hear that everything is well with baby. He/she will be rocking that baby carrier before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you had a good appointment. A year ago yesterday was our D&C and still, our "wills" are still "coulds," even at 30 weeks. I'm glad you bought something for baby. Very exciting!

    and...we love our American sized wine for sure. If a glass can't fit 1/4 a bottle, what kind of glass is it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a terrible anniversary to remember - I hope BBB brought you a little comfort as you thought of Malachi.

      As for the glasses ... exactly!!

      Delete
  4. Yay for good news on the appointment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Just yay.

    I hate that for some of us the 'will' is permanently changed to 'could'.. I'll be a 'could' girl myself.

    On the other hand - this is a totally separate pregnancy, and it's going awesomely, and I know the retail gods want you to have that carrier for a loooooong time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard not to be a "could," whether having lived through loss, infertility, or some unimaginable combination of both. I'll be rooting with all I have for your "will," though.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you're 16 weeks already (although, I'm sure it doesn't feel like "already" to you)! So glad everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it either ... the last few weeks in particular have just flown by! Thank you for your wishes.

      Delete
  7. Yay for another great appointment! This is wonderful and you my dear are getting there! Roll on 2013 and hopefully you will soon be able to move from 'could be' to 'will be' and then 'is!!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, wouldn't that be fantastic! Thank you for being as super stoked for me as you are for you :)

      Delete
  8. 16 weeks! How can that be?! So glad your appointment went well. Let's keep that trend going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad everything went well at your appointment. I so hope that you get everything you and Gilles have dreamed of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda ... I have the same hope for you too. (And for all of us!)

      Delete
  10. Yeah! I'm glad your appointment went well! Also, I am uber-jealous of your snow. So very, very jealous Green.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can temper your Green by knowing that it will be -8 tomorrow morning. Brrr.

      Delete
  11. So happy to hear about a good appointment. And I don't think I could deal with wine in such small quantities. I would demand the bottle and an extra long straw.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.