My dentist is young and cute and happily married, although my parents think, based on the way he's asked them about me during their own toothy visits, that he has a crush on me – or so they like to say. I think they're mistaking his friendly patient relationship-building for something else. It's all moot, anyway.
He and his wife just had a baby, as was mentioned in the course of discussions about my own little reason not to have X-rays taken. "Born five days after his cousin – my brother's son," he added.
"Oh, how wonderful!" I exclaimed, operating for social acceptance purposes on the socially accepted assumption that all baby news should indeed be considered wonderful. "Who told the family first, and what did the other brother do, just raise his hand and add, 'Um, me too'?"
"Well, no. He told us first, right after they found out. We didn't know yet, about ourselves. We'd been trying for a long time and they hadn't. Until we found out that my wife was pregnant too, it was ... bittersweet."
It was the first time I'd heard a man admit such a thing.
***
And then I threw up on him.
The day before, I'd been sitting on the couch and was all of a sudden overtaken with the feeling that I was going to faint. I stood up to head towards bed (mistake) and collapsed. Coming to, I vomited without even having warning that I was going to and then began hyperventilating, my body hot and clammy, my limbs tingling. All in all, it only lasted a few minutes, but all in all, it was rather unpleasant.
I took a two-hour nap and felt fine afterwards and so chalked the incident up to random pregnancy bizarreness.
Then it happened again while I was in the dental chair, drill in my mouth until hastily retrieved. Once I'd recovered a bit, they took my blood pressure – low at 80-something over 40-something.
Post-dental-appointment self-diagnosis, later confirmed: vasovagal syncope. Cause: pregnancy. Treatment: uhhh ... giving birth? And not sitting still in one place for too long.
***
The incident was more than slightly humiliating and no doubt will put an end to what has been misinterpreted by my family as dentist crush-speak. Never mind. I was his first; he'd never had a puking patient before. Surely that level of infamy is worth the price of pride.
![]() |
| not him ... or me. borrowed ethically from source |

Oh my! He's never, ever going to forget you now, Elizabeth...
ReplyDeleteI aim to be memorable ;)
DeleteOh goodness that is quite a story. But congrats on your title- first puking patient! :-)
ReplyDeleteDo they give medals for that title?
DeleteThat sounds like a rather scary thing to experience. Poor you...and your poor dentist!
ReplyDeleteScarier for him than for me!
DeleteOh man, that is... memorable. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's it amazing how MANY people around us have also struggled with ALI/IF? It sucks and it's comforting, all at the same time.
He, I, and two technicians also discussed the other couple's timing in telling everybody - right after the positive. I said something along the lines of being glad it all worked out because that's awful news to have to untell, and there was a reaction or two that made me wonder ... yep, it both sucks and is comforting.
DeleteWell, who ever said going to the dentist was a boring experience. Glad you're okay and that you were able to bond with your dentist on a good as well as memorable note. Hoping you feel better soon too.
ReplyDeleteBonding ... that's one way to think about it!
DeleteWhat do you think you would've said to him just then if you hadn't thrown up? I bet that threw a wrench in his schedule for the rest of the day. ;)
ReplyDeleteHe didn't want to continue with the procedure after my little episode. He said it was for my sake, but looking back, perhaps it was for his!
DeleteWhat an...uh...eventful trip to the dentist. Just as much so for him as you. Top that, non-puking patients!
ReplyDeleteWe'll both never forget.
DeleteOh dear, what a nightmare. He won't forget you now ;)
ReplyDeleteYep, and my file's got a big black mark on it now ....
DeleteI have had a genitic predisposition to veso vegal syncope the better part of my adult life. It can get... VERY... severe. And with my 3 pregnancies, it always reared its ulgly head. Not something I would wish on anyone and, would rather forget about. Just remember that when that feeling hits- don't if igore it! Also, as trite as it sounds, drink lots of water. xo
ReplyDeleteAaghh ... that's rough. What I found crazy was how quickly you can go from being just fine to being completely ill. Thanks for the tip, I will down my 8-a-day and more!
DeleteNasty. Hope it doesn't re-occur, I guess you won't have another dentist appointment until after the birth now, so that must be a relief for you, and him.
ReplyDeleteYep, that's it for now, dentist-wise. I do have a dermatologist appointment coming up soon ... another lucky sucker to hold my hair back for me.
DeleteDentists, shudder. I am such a filling snob and have only ever allowed them to put the white ones in. Even at the back. I am that vain.
ReplyDeleteI always feel vommy at the dentists though. Shudder again.
Lucky you. I don't think white fillings were available in the candy-eating cavity-inducing days of my childhood, hence the metal mouth.
DeleteThat sort of thing happened to me once during the pregnancy, not the vomiting on my dentist (which was a blessing because he is too pretty to vomit on), but the drop in blood pressure causing me to feel like I was going to faint and throw up at the same time. Mine was from leaning forward for too long and once I leaned back my blood pressure dropped greatly. My doctor's advice...don't sit like that again. :)
ReplyDeleteYep - pretty much what mine said too!
Delete