We didn't want to find out whether baby is a girl or a boy at the 20-week anatomy scan; we would like a surprise at the very end. We had to close our eyes at opportune moments, cover them with our hands for extra protection from what the screen revealed.
Later, when I went back to the clinic to pick up the report, I started to explain to the receptionist. She jumped up before I could finish and scurried away, coming back with an edited document, the checkboxes related to XX and XY scribbled over in ballpoint and then blacked out with a thick marker. "We wanted a surprise, too," she leaned over to whisper confidentially. "No peeking now!"
I scanned the report to get the doctor's confirmation that the sonographer's assessment of "perfect" (okay, fine, "normal") was accurate. It was. (Just a slight concern about my right ovary being labeled as "sup-optimal," what?) As I was reading, though, all that kept jumping out at me was that thick black scribbled-over line.
I don't want to know. I just all of a sudden want to know.
LOL. That anticipation is crazy! We totally waited - I figured I knew EVERY other detail about the kiddo's conception - I wanted the sex to at least be a surprise! I tell ya - the moment I pulled her out and Charlie looked and said "It's a girl!" -- hands down the most amazing moment of my life.
ReplyDeleteHee! Oh, the suspense is so fun! What a great surprise this will be for you both!
ReplyDeleteI nominated you for the Liebster Award over at Donating Hope.
1. Yay for everything looking normal!
ReplyDelete2. You are a far stronger woman than I. I really can't wait that long to find out our baby's sex. I'm having a hard time waiting the two weeks until our anatomy scan. :)
I'm always impressed by people who can wait to find out what they're having. Having to wait until 21 weeks was hard enough for me:-)
ReplyDeleteGlad everything is looking good.
Oh!! You are so strong!! I would totally want to know!!!
ReplyDeleteI like Amanda am always impressed by people who can wait to find out what they're having. I just couldn't nor did hubs want to. I'm a planner, and organizer, I wanted to know so I could do a theme for her room and pick out colors and do fabric swatches. I do think if we had a second we would try to not find out though....."try" being the operative word. Its gonna be a great surprise for you guys.
ReplyDeleteI love not knowing the sex until a child is born and I am selfishly glad that is what you decided. I am going to enjoy looking out for the perfect gender natural little something.... how exciting.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't find out for any of our kids and after my 20-week US with #3 a couple weeks ago, I had a dream that I had some procedure done and the doc came out at the end and said "All good! 46 XY!" and I was so bummed to know!
ReplyDeleteYou are way better than me. At first I thought I didn't but as it got closer and closer I just had to know.
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm so happy for you
ReplyDeleteI thought you were going to say the receptionist gave the game away! You'll find out soon enough in the meantime revel in perfect.
ReplyDeleteWe didn't want to know the gender either...until we did. I guess I got a little impatient. But I think keeping it a surprise is fabulous. Hang tough, friend!
ReplyDeleteIf we ever get there, I think there's going to be a fight over whether or not to find out the sex ahead of time. Hubby would want to. Me, not so much. I think waiting gives you the opportunity for a wonderful surprise. Be strong!
ReplyDeleteThe anticipation is awful ,especially when you have the answer at your fingertips and can't read it. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteI don't know how you stand the anticipation. I HAD to know what we were having! Maybe with the next one (God willing) we will wait, but I'm such a planner. I can't imagine! Those black lines would have tempted me to no end. Hope you're feeling well :)
ReplyDeleteI loved not knowing. It drove the grandmothers crazy. It was such a fantastic surprise and even more motivation during the pushing!!
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed. I could never wait and it's probably for the best since I was sure we were having a boy and I was very wrong! Hope the next 20 weeks are uneventful and fun!
ReplyDeleteAw, bebe! Many kudos to you for being able to stand the anticipation... I'm sure it will be well rewarded in that moment you first hold that baby in your arms and are able to say..."my daughter" (or "my son", but I'm voting girl!) ;)
ReplyDeleteour first we left as a surprise, and when he was was born i remember crying and saying "but, i don't know anything about boys"! ha!
ReplyDeletewith our second we found out, just so we could experience things differently.
it's way, way, way more fun not to know! just sayin'!
I'm so impressed at your restraint. I had to know!
ReplyDeleteAh ha! ME too! We had our 20 week scan yesterday and we have no intention of finding out the sex before June Bug is here. But when we left the tech said "Everything looks perfect with your little one! And, I know what you're having!"
ReplyDeleteIt kills me a little that someone else knows and that makes me kind of want to know now.....
I'm glad you are going to be surprised! I can't wait to find out when you deliver your sweet little thang.
It's me, your long lost bloggie friend. I finally caught up on your blog. I know I'm a little late, but congratulations!!!!! :)
ReplyDelete