Thursday, January 17, 2013

The second second Monday in January.

Both Gilles and I faced down the 20-week anatomy scan with sheer terror. This would be it, the moment all our good luck would change. We felt it. We feared it.

I had booked the appointment for 20 weeks on the dot, January 9. One morning about a week beforehand, I jolted awake in a cold sweat. January 9? How could I have forgotten? That was the date we first heard that last year's recently begun dream of becoming parents would be shattered!

Of course, I know: just because it's history doesn't mean it needs to repeat itself. I'm not superstitious. But still. The appointment would have to be changed.

Like Oedipus, though, who in desperately fleeing his fate only draws himself closer to it, I rescheduled the appointment for the second Monday in January. The second Monday in January? How could I have forgotten? That was the day we first heard ..., et cetera!

By the time I realized, it was too late to change it again. And, of course, I know: just because it's history ..., et cetera. Just keep thinking that over and over again, and it will remain true.

***

We had told nobody about the appointment in advance. It was scheduled for very early in the morning and we thought we could sneak out without the rest of the household knowing. But fifteen minutes before our planned departure time, while I was dressing, I heard the shower turn on in the other bathroom.

I hopped into the living room, hair dripping, pulling on the rest of my clothes. "Let's go," I barked to Gilles. "I don't want anybody to see us!"

Under the cover of a dark winter's dawn, we stole away like criminals, ashamed of the potential for pain that this appointment could bring.

***

We were especially nervous because we didn't know what – or who – to expect. In Switzerland, ultrasounds are performed only by doctors, which is nice because they can give immediate medical feedback – not the case with American sonographers, some of whom, from what I've heard, can be downright nasty in their transducer-wielding manner and mandate not to release any information. Of course, not all Swiss doctors are exempt from such nastiness (ahem, asshole gynecologist), but our prince(ss) is. We missed her, her cool hands, her warm touch.

We missed her until we met our sonographer. Sweet, friendly, calm, reassuring, and informative about everything she was doing, everything she was seeing.

And everything she was seeing looked perfect. Or, rather, in sonographer language, "normal." But look at this. That's perfect, isn't it?

Could I search for something to worry about? Why, of course I could. For example, baby, so big at the last ultrasound, is now measuring a day or two behind. I wouldn't worry about that day or two if baby hadn't been such a big'un in the past. Well, no matter. I won't worry about that day or two at all.

Nor will I worry about "spine sag." Perhaps you've heard of it? It's a serious deformation of the vertebral column that leaves baby incapable of supporting its own weight in an upright position and unable to ever ... no, no, it's not that at all. It's merely a way of pointing out that a particular pictorial capture of the spine was taken on the sagittal plane.

But I didn't know that when, just after starting the examination, the sonographer tapped out the two words on the keyboard and they appeared on the screen we were staring at, in awe of the little being flipping around inside me. My heart fell and my voice quavered. "What is spine sag?"

Oh.

51 comments:

  1. It's good to hear from you. And so glad all is looking good with baby, very exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is so lovely to hear from you. I hope that your holidays were magical. Lots of love.

      Delete
    2. Thank you both, and lots of love back to you too.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad everything is good with the baby:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad everything is looking good. I'm also glad you had a nice sonographer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made such a difference to have somebody sweet and caring. We were so thankful for that!

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear from you and so happy to hear that all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh mine is next week and I am terrified. I've had it all go bad there before. I understand your fear and your wanting to be sneaking out in the dark like criminals.

    But! Everything is perfect! I'm so happy for you and that little one in there. I think of you guys all the time!

    For some reason your latest picture isn't showing? Are others having that problem?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You, my dear, will be getting a message from me soon. I miss you so much! Sending you nothing but the very best for your own appointment coming up soon, and looking forward to hearing that you sailed through this latest "checkpoint."

      Pictures are up now ... Blogger and Explorer weren't playing nicely together so I had to download Firefox.

      Delete
  6. I have missed your posts, my friend! Glad to hear that everything is going well and baby looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed writing - I've been reading everything, but it's been totally one-way for almost a month!

      Delete
  7. 20 weeks! woohooo! congrats, happy new year and it all sounds pretty good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see a post and hear all is well, though I have to admit I read it so fast my head was in a whirlwind and I was like what is spine sag and had to re-read the whole thing again. So happy to hear all is well with the little one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you've re-read it, you can forget everything you ever learned about spine sag. Phew! I hope you're doing well - you must be just about at term now? Would love to hear your latest news.

      Delete
  9. So glad to hear that everything is going well! I agree with others I totally miss your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lya! I've missed being here and can't wait to get caught up.

      Delete
  10. We miss you! Spine sag..hahaha I laughed at that, precisely because I would've asked the same thing. Happy halfway mark!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, because if a problem doesn't present itself, why not create one, right?! 53.57 percent today ;)

      Delete
  11. You are back! I hope your vacation went well, and I'm glad the ultrasound was a great success!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am back, although the vacation is still ongoing - it's just that my husband's ended and now I have lots of time to play on the Internet!

      Delete
  12. welcome back!!!! happy everything is going so well!!! enjoy it!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent news. Great extrapolation of what spine sag might be, glad it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give me a phrase, I'll come up with a medical diagnosis. Perhaps I need a (better) hobby.

      Delete
  14. I'm so glad everything is going well. Missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missed you too, my dear ... and holding you close in my heart.

      Delete
  15. You are indeed correct... THAT? Is perfection, sheer and total. So glad to hear things are continuing to go well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take that over plain old normal any day! Thank you for the second opinion :)

      Delete
  16. Excellent news! And I would totally not worry about the spine sag. If it was an issue, they would have pointed it out. Congratulations on hitting the halfway point!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All downhill from here, right? I'll be cheering you on too until you too get to this point, and then well beyond.

      Delete
  17. At the halfway point and everything is looking good -- that's something to celebrate! So happy for you, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just may have popped open a fruit juice to celebrate. Thank you my dear!

      Delete
  18. Gorgeous little one! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So so glad to hear and see everything is looking "normal" or in other words, great! So happy for you friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never has the word "normal" been so relieving. Thank you friend!

      Delete
  20. Look at that adorable profile! Absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbiased opinions are greatly appreciated! Thank you my dear.

      Delete
  21. What a beautiful baby! So happy that things are going well.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.