Somewhere along the way, as Gilles and I talk in our inter-language somewhere on a continuum between French and English, the word "fat" has became a nice one. It started the first time he walked into an American supermarket and stopped short in the produce section to exclaim in wonder, "The fruit is fat!" (Could it be that which explains the average waistline in this country?)
The word has become especially nice when spoken with unseen quotation marks in the context of what might become of me as baby grows. This kind of "fat" would be pretty magical.
I'm not "fat," though, not yet. Today marks the completion of 22 weeks (how did that happen?) and I've gained a kilo, perhaps two. I'm thicker than I used to be but look thinner than at the bloated, constipated beginning. Flaunting a bump, as Us Weekly puts it (43,200,000 times), is not an option; there's nothing to flaunt.
I still fit into my low-rise jeans and can wear any of my tops. I did buy some maternity clothes, but only to stock up cheaply in "Europe's giant outlet mall"; they're not necessary right now and I felt like an imposter while shopping for them.
I also feel like an imposter when I have to agree with others' assessments – "Yes, I know I don't look pregnant ...." – and when I have to laugh through gritted teeth in response to jokes about surrogacy.
There's at least two and a half fondues of baby in me now. It's the length of a ruler. Where is it hiding?
It's doing well, growing nicely. It's just that I'm not.
Well, perhaps my thighs are. The weekend before Gilles left, he and I went on a little getaway in the nearest major city bigger than the one in which my family lives, the one he was flying out of. As he was scrambling to pack the morning of his departure, I was hanging out on the bed, in my underwear, relishing a spot of television (we don't have one).
As I flipped channels with my bare thighs sprawled out before me, they caught my glance – which became my glare, rather. They looked a bit bigger. A bit winter-whiter. A bit jigglier. And not necessarily in the glowingly pregnant kind of way.
I jumped off the bed and asked Gilles if they looked fat. I did not speak the word with unseen quotation marks. He did not notice the omission. He looked up from his backpack and appraised the offenders.
"Yes ... well, c'est possible ... I mean, no. No. No."
But such a no in face of a face turning thunderous is not what I would consider an acceptable denial.
He was saved by his flight.
Your posts make me smile mama, big silly grin type smiles ;)
ReplyDeleteBig FAT silly grin type smiles? ;)
DeleteLMAO. Oh my, this completely cracked me up, Elizabeth. :)
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about the lack of showing thus far, dear. Everyone grows at different rates. I REALLY started popping around wk 24 (before that people just thought I had a beer belly...kinda like now *sigh*)and it never let up after that. Believe me, your belly will be PLENTY big by the time you are ready to deliver this little one!
I'm a bit beer belly-ish too ... it's starting to look like "something" is there, like something you could blame on too many nights at the bar.
DeleteThank you for the reassurance - here's to growing!
I'm sure your thighs look wonderful. :)
ReplyDeleteMy ass, however, has been keeping pace with my growing belly...*sigh*
Just don't ask my husband if he agrees about your ass ... but as you were sure for me, I'm sure for you that it looks wonderful!
DeleteIt's okay to not really be showing yet! I did get a bump quite early, but by the end of the pregnancy, I didn't look at all ready to "pop." I kept hearing how small I was, which was utterly annoying. But you know, it was okay. I had a healthy baby and that's all that mattered.
ReplyDeleteOh -- and you make me laugh, friend. Sometimes until I cry. :)
You're right, it's all that matters. And honestly, I'd prefer to run on the small side than the big side ... at least it's still easy to get around! I'm glad you could enjoy a laugh.
DeleteAh, your conversations with Gilles remind me a lot of my converations with Hubby. The wonder of blending languages--or, rather, making up your own.
ReplyDeleteI love it. I never knew breaking grammatical rules could be so sweetly romantic.
DeleteI carried my first baby in my butt for several months. I was quite happy when he moved into my belly. My butt was never the same, though. Poor butt.
ReplyDeleteSo sweet of your butt to bear the brunt of baby! I hope that means your belly escaped intact.
Deletewith my first babe my belly didn't pop till way later and then i was massive all of a sudden. with my second, i looked like a beached whale from the moment i found out i was pregnant!!!
ReplyDeleteSo funny, the differences between people as well as between pregnancies!
DeleteOh darling Gilles. Honesty is always the best policy... if worded correctly. Maybe he should start using phat. What was that supposed to stand for? Pretty Hot And Tempting or something?
ReplyDeletePerhaps that's what he meant ... phat. Yeah. Although I didn't know it actually stood for something!
DeleteI had to laugh; I think my husband and I have had that same conversation and he doesn't have the excuse of not being a native English speaker.
ReplyDeleteYou'll pop eventually. Then you get to deal with comments like "Are you sure there's only one in there?" "Are you sure you're not due earlier than that?" *sigh*
I read about those kinds of comments being made on the message boards, and can say that I'm much happier with what I get than I would be with that! People are so rude.
DeleteMen... :) I gained the majority of my extra, nutella induced weight in my butt and thighs. It happens. Your belly will be big enough soon and you'll need all of those maternity clothes!
ReplyDeleteHope so ... I feel like I'm running out of time to wear all of these cute new things! I'll have to let the fourth trimester drag out so I get my money's worth.
Delete