Thursday, February 21, 2013

And so I think, again.

I have a folder of photos that I should probably unlink from my Picasa account to prevent them from inadvertently popping up and shocking any unwitting viewers who might be browsing my wonderful collection of mostly cat pics. (And why wouldn't they be? He's cute. Look!)

This folder of photos reveals a flat stomach, a bright smile, a handful of BFPs ... and a few grisly clumps of products of conception, recorded not necessarily for posterity but rather for medical viewing and then never able to be deleted. The former were the first in what would have been a series of growing bump pics. Or so I thought. The series never went further than that.

This time, I didn't bother. I was afraid of wasting my time – you know, the time that was definitely much better spent wallowing in anxiety and panic – as well as my heartstrings. Also, I wasn't really getting "fat." It didn't seem so interesting.

Recently a few people asked if I'd been taking pictures to record the changes and were disappointed for my sake that I hadn't. A friend wondered if I'd email her a "bump pic." There was nothing to send. The lack of photo-documentation began to seem a bit sad. And why let sad happen if it can be avoided?

So avoid it I did, by pulling out my camera and dusting off the same spot on the shelf where I placed it last time. A new photographic series began, late, but better that than never. If you'd like to see, too, here we are: a page to visually track the final sixteen or so weeks of growing this baby.

This new series has a prologue, a snap taken from the last series, as reference (yes, I agree that it does look like I'm sucking it in), and then begins with a pic taken at 24 weeks, the point of viability. That's kind of fitting in this context, as any claim that I'm "fattening" is also becoming more viable. This week, an even 26, I was asked for the first time if I'm pregnant (or, rather, if I'm "waiting for a baby," a very cute mistranslation of a French expression into English). That's a good sign that this might just be real.

40 comments:

  1. It IS real....*hugs*

    And your cat is totally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe... no worries lady, soon enough it will be obvious to everyone that your little one is growing away in there! It was around 22w for me that someone dared ask if I was pregnant, and around when you're at that the weekly bump pictures started progressing quickly. I really do think you'll enjoy looking back at these - you really do forget how much your body changed!! You look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be glad to look back, and I do regret a bit not starting sooner to see the more subtle earlier changes - but oh well. Perhaps I should do a 40-weeks-after series to make up for it!

      And thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Yay belly pics! For some reason, I love belly pics! You look fantastic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute cat!

    I do understand not taking pictures this time around, at least not until you could convince yourself everything might be okay. The only reason I've taken any is because my husband insists. Like you, I still have the ones from last time. I can't delete them, but they are a mocking reminder of what should have been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know what to do with things like that, and I completely empathize with you. I'm glad your husband has been so insistent though ... your new pictures will make for good memories in the future.

      Delete
  5. Hi from ICLW. Pretty cat. Hoping that you'll have a healthy happy baby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have three incomplete "Maternity" photos series and none for my rainbow pregnancy! I'm glad you decided to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I'm sorry you don't have a series for your rainbow, but I'm sure you can make up for it with a million pictures of your precious little boy.

      Delete
  7. I always waited until 12 weeks to start taking bump pics because before then I didn't have any interesting bump. Just took my first one for this pregnancy yesterday! Congrats!!

    Here from ICLW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I commented on it yesterday - you look great! Thanks for ICLWing with me.

      Delete
  8. So glad you're finally doing the bump pics! So cute and so happy for you. And you know what? This really is real. Totally real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those words are music to my ears! It's starting to feel that way ... but still so impossible to truly believe at the same time.

      Delete
  9. You look fantastic - and it's real. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! Looks like it's pretty real :)

    Happy ICLW ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I do I become a follower of your blog? I've looked and looked and can't find it! I have really enjoyed what I have read so far and want to keep going. P.S. I love the bump pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, and for wanting to stick around! I just added the follower gadget, and I'm looking forward to learning more about your journey, too.

      Delete
  12. There's a baby in that cute, little bump! I'm glad you decided to record your growing belly, and it looks like it will soon be obvious to everyone that you're "waiting for a baby"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl - I'm glad too! "Waiting for a baby" struck me so much because, really, aren't we all? Here's to putting an end to that wait, for everybody.

      Delete
  13. I was so scared of taking pics of my belly the second time. I started, then stopped for two months because I was emotionally freaking out, then when I got to be about 18 weeks I started again. Even with that break, it is fun to look back and see how my belly changed. I kind of wish I had taken pictures of my belly shrinking post-baby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found your courage again and have the full record of the last half. And 40 to 0 post-baby is an awesome idea!

      Delete
  14. Happy ICLW! Yep, a think a congrats is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ack! Wrote a long comment (probably completely brilliant, right?) and it disappeared. I hate that! Anyhow, there's one thing I love more than cat pics and its bump pics (especially when you've found your way around an obstacle course to it-there's something especially moving to see that). Congrats! THinking of you from ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comments that are swallowed by the system are always those that were the most brilliant! Thank you for coming by.

      Delete
  16. Hi from ICLW! Congrats! How great!!? My mom was born in Switzerland! I hope to visit one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... so you have liquid chocolate running through your veins! Yes, you must make the trip over one day. Love your blog name, by the way.

      Delete
  17. Thanx for popping in at my site. I love Switzerland xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you could make it over here too. Happy continued commenting!

      Delete
  18. Here from ICLW! Those are really pretty "belly" pictures! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for waiting for a baby! Cute phrase!!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.