Thursday, March 28, 2013

Having a whale of a time.

I think I'm finally beginning to identify with the message board posters, as the other day my feelings, classified under the subject heading "Ultrasound tomorrow," could easily have been described as "I'm so excited I can't wait to hear my baby's heart beating again!!!" It's in there. It's moving. All signs point to good health. So why not replace my previous pre-appointment mantras of I hope it's not dead with something a little more positive?

And we did hear the heart beating again, pounding along with strength and courage while we watched baby, still perfectly head-down in a bat-like position, playing ever so cutely with its umbilical cord. (Quick addition to what remains of our shopping list: more appropriate toys.)

Baby is now estimated as weighing a very precise 1.869 kilograms, up 0.569 from the rounder estimate of 1.3 less than three weeks ago. Since then, I've packed on one and a half myself, one-third (or, more precisely, 0.569 kilograms) of which is due to baby's increase. The other two-thirds can, I suppose, be attributed to my incredibly dedicated couch-sitting.

If you'd like, you can look here for the inside view, a profile shot that made me tell Gilles, "I hope it will be cuter when it comes out," and here for the outside view, which recently earned me a most unappreciated greeting of "Hello, fatty!"

(The greeting was not from my husband. Of course he can call me "fat" [quotation marks necessary]. But in our language, the noun of that adjective is not fatty but rather grosse baleine ... huge whale. I couldn't love the label – or him – more.)

oh hi.
borrowed ethically from source

14 comments:

  1. My husband became incredibly concerned about baby's leg length during the end of my pregnancy. So my mantra became "Grow, legs, grow!" :) His legs are fine, btw, but we have a short chubby guy. Since I had a flip floppy baby, at the end, I alternated between "Flip, baby, flip!" and "Don't flip! Stay put!"

    Hoping you find a positive mantra for yourself soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Short and chubby sounds wonderfully cute. And I just may have to adopt "Don't flip!" for myself, since this one's been perfectly head-down for a few weeks now!

      Delete
  2. I hope you (actually both of us) find our positive mantras soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I think I've found it ... and hope you do too.

      Delete
  3. I love your belly pics! Looking great!!!! Almost time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it doesn't seem like it to you, but you hardly look that big! I would never be able to guess you are actually 31 weeks. You, my dear, look fantastic! And I'm sure be/she will be absolutely adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words! I think it looks fine too ... random rude remarks aside.

      Delete
  5. It's always so good to hear you're doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Love your whale photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I too looked that graceful as I flopped around ....

      Delete
  7. Yay to becoming even more whale-like as the weeks go on!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.