Tuesday, July 17, 2012

About the post that I wish this was.

I always* ovulate on cd18 or 19, even 20, so I thought nothing more about a random patch of fertile cervical fluid around cd12 and 13 beyond marking it on my chart.

I also thought very little about the next few days of temperatures in the mid- to high-98s – they were taken after several jetlagged nights of uncomfortable sleep, whether for three hours or for twelve, whether until four in the morning or until eleven, which, for my disarranged internal clock, seemed to be afternoon or late evening – until Fertility Friend had seen enough of it and slashed my chart into four quarters with two bright red lines.

Oh. My dear Friend, do you mean to suggest that I ovulated on cd14? The day five days earlier than usual, the day after my birthday, which was also the day of "pink champagne to be drunk and sushi to be eaten and goodbyes to be said," the latter of which I can now admit was euphemistic for taking one last roll in the sack before I took leave of my sweet husband for most of the rest of the summer?

All of a sudden the first quarter of this resignedly accepted two-month break had unexpectedly become an ever-dreaded two-week wait.

Some "symptoms" started appearing a promisingly quick eight days past ovulation and I began my usual fantasies. How to joyously yet tearfully beam while watching that second line appear; how to excitedly yet graciously share the news here; how to keep my family at bay by determinedly waving around a beer bottle from which it would almost look like I was drinking; how to fit in some secretive let's-get-ready-for-baby-at-American-prices shopping sprees; and, oh yes, of course – how to tell Gilles.

And oh, the lesson I would have learned, the wisdom I would have gained – and then been able to impart to others. Yes, yes, it's true, I imagined being able to laugh tinklingly, smugly, knowingly; just relax, take a break, and it'll happen. I'd heard the advice before and never would have believed it, but ... the simple fact of agreeing to an overly cruel two months off was enough for us! Right away I just relaxed, which caused my body to magically shoot out an egg on the eve of my departure, five whole days ahead of my normal clockwork schedule, just in time for our goodbye shag – on my birthday, no less! And that's all it took. [Simpering glance downwards at the cherished bundle cradled tenderly in my arms.] Isn't (s)he adooorable? If you're serious about getting one of these, you should totally try it!**

But you can guess how this little fantasy ends: with nothing cradled in my arms except another fucking negative and another month's broken dreams.

If it weren't for the hot sharp tears constantly prickling behind my eyes, I'd almost believe that I'm getting used to this.

*Now amended to read, "always, except ha ha stupid tricked you."

**Of course I would. You know I'm a bitch.

25 comments:

  1. I am so sorry dear friend. Although we tell ourselves otherwise, this is something you never get used to. Thinking of you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry hon! It never gets easier. Hang in there. Our time will come. Sending lots of love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why, why must our bodies and minds play these games on us. It is like there is some huge cosmic bully who thinks its funny when it really really is not. Grrrrrrrr, I am furious at the universe on your behalf. Oh and p.s. I have missed you my dear. It is good to see you pop back. Can't wait for August.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dammit, why can't life just throw some of us a fricking bone already? I'm so sorry. I really wish the outcome had been different.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I feel you, another &*%*( negative..... BS... sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :( I hate the glimmers of hope that pop up only to be squashed a few days later, but how do you keep it at bay?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boo! But I have read that ovulating around CD14 is supposed to be better than ovulating later in the cycle. Don't quote me on that but maybe it will continue. I hope you enjoy the rest of your break.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :( horrible :( Hope sucks sometimes, or a lot of the time. Thinking about you darlin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, lady. I'm so sorry. I also create the "perfect" scenarios every month. When do we get to have one turn into real life? So, so, sorry. I hope you can recalibrate and begin to enjoy your time with family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so sorry!! Wish our bodies would be friendlier to us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That does suck! I always create "it was fate!" daydreams too. I always want the awful people that tell me to relax to be right, we can't f'ing win. Have a good cry and some mac and cheese, I'm glad you are with your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry. I keep trying to convince myself I no longer care, too, then the tears always arrive right with AF. Enjoy your time with your family.

    (readingeachpage.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry the first part of your summer trip was tainted with this kind of mindfuck. It just sucks, every damn time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry. Those tests are always hard. Sending many, many hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sucky... I feel for you and can't even begin to count the number of times that exact fantasy of mine has been dashed. Hugs. I hate BFNs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm really sorry. I know how frustrating that can be.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It gets you every time and it doesn't seem to get easier either! So sorry you had to have this mind games with the climbing hope just to fall hard. It's not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, Elizabeth. I'm so sorry. We all know how you feel. No matter how absurdly unlikely the circumstances, I always manage to get my hopes raised and dashed...And no, it doesn't get easier. I'm just so sorry, but hope that now you'll be able to truly chill into 'taking a break' mode and enjoy all that your visit home has to offer. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Each and every month, I'd create reasons why *this* cycle was meant to be: birthdays, parent's visits, good horoscope... the list went on and on. And then each month, was a grave disappointment. It is the worst cycle I can think of because it's a cruel one. I'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh. I'm sorry. Hope runs rampant... it's something you don't want to squash entirely, and yet wouldn't it be nice to not feel the pain when our hopes are misguided. :(

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, and everything lined up to make such a perfect story and it STILL didn't happen. I am so sorry. That stings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sorry those bitchy pee sticks thwarted you once again. It would have made for the perfect story, I wish it had worked out for you! It's hard not to feel hopeful when these perfect scenarios occur. :(

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.