Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cue impending due date freakout.

I am fully aware that some of you have been on the journey to baby a lot longer and with many more impediments than we have, and I will understand if you roll your eyes, mutter something about mountains and molehills, and snap this book shut, so to speak. But in the spirit of being honest and true to myself, I am sharing how I feel.

Last week was the week, and so now we're two week waiting. Although I've become better at doing that over time, this particular wait has an extra sharp edge to it because it is our last chance for another pregnancy before the erstwhile due date of the last one rolls around.

That ill-fated day is at the end of August, which is two months away. It would thus seem that we have two more chances before then and that my impending freakout is a bit premature. But we don't. Gilles and I won't be together for most of those two months, including the magic moments of each.

***

Since the last pregnancy ended in January, I haven't dwelled much on the due date or any of the other little milestones that would have preceded it. (The starting point of the third trimester, yes; but only in the context of haircutting.) I didn't think it would bother me that much when it arrived – but that was because never in my worst dreams did I think that I would not be pregnant again by that time. Whether you attribute that to optimism, naïvety, or just sheer stupidity, I fully thought that any pain I might feel about those vanished dreams would be dulled by the joy of another little dream in the making.

During one of the many "is it a miscarriage, an ectopic pregnancy, or a miracle waiting in the uterian wings to surprise us?" appointments that took place in January, when a doctor was advising us (yet again) to wait a few more days to be certain that the pregnancy really was not viable, I was concerned about the risk of wasting time should it turn out that it wasn't. I thought those additional two days, three days, however long it was we waited before the dropping hCG gave us a definitive answer – less than a week, in any case – mattered, because they represented an extra two days, three days, whatever, before I could be pregnant again, for keeps this time.

Two days, three days, whatever. I thought they mattered.

But they didn't. And here we are five months later, still with nothing except a bunch of used-up pee sticks, carefully filled-in charts, and angst-ridden blog posts.

***

Making the choice to be away from Gilles in both July and August was, yes, a choice – my choice; one I didn't necessarily have to make. But I found myself horribly torn between trying to have a baby and two other very important things. One is family; the other is career. And at a certain point, I need to tend to those two other very important things, too, even at the detriment of baby-making. Life is not just about well-timed sex, as much as it can sometimes seem that way, and this is the moment for me to look beyond that part to the others that make up a well-rounded existence.

It's only two months, and it's only two months after what has been only five months of renewed trying. I think we all know, though, that a time period that can be described as "only" in any other context is really not that when it involves waiting for a chance for a baby. But, really, it's not so much the duration but rather the timing of this unwanted break that is causing me to feel distressed about choosing to take it.

Perhaps that mystical second line will show up next week and put all this anguish to rest. It would be nice to have other things than this to freak out about ... like what color to paint the nursery. And by nursery, I do indeed mean the lesser-used half of the living room.

and by "lesser-used," I do indeed mean by humans, not felines.
(for those of you not familiar with cat yoga, this pose
is known as the "dead sparrow.")


21 comments:

  1. I have my fingers firmly crossed for a mystical second line for you. But if that doesn't happen I hope you can enjoy focusing on the other two important things. It is a bum that this break has come at such a time, but at least when there is no hope of getting pregnant there is also no stress of the 'maybe' and no symptom obsession or needing to chart and you are well prepared for the monthly ick. I am interested in your career plans, what are you cooking up? And does family mean a trip back to the states? A trip is always going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having to take time off from trying can be extremely difficult, especially when you don't particularly want to be on a break. I know how hard it is to give up a month here and there because every month is precious.

    I'll be hoping with all my might that you see the magical second line next week and that your break turns into early gestating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed! And there are no molehills here. Everyone's pain is real. So your pain is valid. We hear you, we understand, we care. Thank you for being so honest - I love this post.

    I totally understood the dilemma of putting other things first for a period of time. You know what? YOU know what you need to do for your mental health. Taking a break is never bad... It's an opportunity for space and clarity. My theory is when I feel like I can't take a break the most is when I need a break the most.

    Good luck with the HSG! We're always just a click away. Hugs. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more thing - more luck with the 2nd line... Then luck to the HSG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my fingers crossed for you! And no matter what happens, I hope your two months of focusing on your family and career bring you peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fingers crossed for you! And I'm sure Chunky, my cat could show yours some new yoga poses!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely understand your feelings about a "break." I have struggled over the years when we've been forced to take a time out. It always felt like giving up to me, even though that was so far from the truth and I met each break with a lot of anger. Hopefully July and August will give you some time to heal and breathe. XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you. I've had several natural health practitioners advise me to take three months - after each miscarriage. I can't even fathom it. I can't, for all of myself, go there. I immediately calculate the due date if we were to hold off for three cycles and it is unspeakable. I hope this month is your month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never feel bad about writing about how you feel! Your pain is real and don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise. I hope this this 2ww ends with a BFP, but if it doesn't let yourself take those 2 months and then come back to this baby-making adventure with a renewed spirit. Good luck girl! I am still KMFX for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm thinking of you, keeping everything crossed as you go through the wait... and to echo many others, if you don't get those lines, this two month hiatus could be really rejuvenating for your body and spirit. I still hope you get a big fat BFP this month, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thinking of you. I dreaded my due date for months....I'm glad it's over and done with.
    keeping my fingers crossed that this month was THE month
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel almost as if I am holding my breath I am holding in so much hope for you. I hope your two months off will be filled with nursery swatches and all the right symptoms. The due date caused a shift in me and my grieving for sure. Hello bitterness!! We'll be here on that day for you with or without the growing belly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Time takes on a life of its own when you're trying to make a baby. Two-week chunks of anxiety and fear. I hope this is your month for a BFP, but either way, it sounds like July and August are going to be great for reconnecting with the other parts of your life that tend to get pushed aside when getting pregnant is your #1 priority. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When was your due date? I'm August 25, and I'm fearing that date already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been my date if calculated by first day of LMP, but adjusted to August 30 based on ovulation. I'll be thinking of you on the 25.

      Delete
  15. Of course this is a difficult time for you. No need to apologize for your feelings...we all have them and they are ALL valid no matter how long we've been on this journey. First of all I hope that the mystical second line appears for you soon! If not, I hope you will find your infertility break to be rejuvenating and healing for your spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I have my fingers crossed for you! either way, it's a good thing you tend to the other areas in life as well. It's too bad you can't be together though. And I think many (including me) would want nothing more than being pregnant by the due date to cushion the pain a little.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all, as always, for your lovely support. I explained the 'whys' of the situation today and hope that the excitement of what is to come helps me get through this unwanted break. I also hope that what is to come does not interfere with my presence here ... now that would be inexcusable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't even believe I can write these words or rather that I even have to write these words but anyway here it goes. My first "due date" that we didn't have wasn't great or rather the 2 days leading up to that. I was at work about 2 days before and I was cleaning a table and I started to cry. My co teacher looked at me like I had gone off the deep end and I said to her something to the fact that I shouldn't be doing this I should be at home waiting for the baby to come. My boss came down and decided that I could have the due date as a vacation day. The due date came and that morning I woke up from this wonderful dream a little girl was waving to me. I have no doubt it was my baby telling me she was okay.
    The next year we took the due date off from work again and went away met up with some friends and was surrounded by love.
    I have another due date that didn't happen (seriously who deserves to write this stuff?) I didn't take the day off of work and kind of plowed right through, I did however make a donation to a cause that was near and dear to my heart. I once read that someone did the same thing thinking "well I would have bought my son/daughter a birthday gift so I will use some money to donate to a cause in their name" that made me feel better and I actually asked my to do as well if they were so inclined." Well this was a very long answer and I don't know if is useful to you or not. Try not to get too hung up on how you may feel whatever you feel is the right feeling for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you had to go through that twice. Nobody should have to, even once. I love your idea to donate to a cause in honor of that once-potential-child's memory. Thank you for sharing that, as well as your other thoughts - I found them very valuable.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.