Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Last Friday night.

You know as soon as she takes off her coat.

She is as slender as a reed, skinny even, in her tight jeans and tight top, with her sheaf of long flat straight hair, slender everywhere except – 


You and your husband, your never-Valentine, had arrived at Marc and Claudine’s with a tray of cupcakes and a bottle of wine and the anticipation of spending a warm and lazy night among friends. You know now, upon the arrival of the other couple, that the evening will instead unfurl into anguish for you.

You don’t say anything to her about it but you watch as Marc pours six glasses of wine and calls the group over to say cheers. You watch. You watch her. You wait for her to refuse her glass. Or you wait for her to instead take it and pretend to drink, as you did during all the Christmas and New Year festivities. She refuses it. “In fact, I won’t be able to drink this because I am pregnant,” she says, reservedly, proudly, happily.

There is a moment of silence. She and her husband sit shyly; they are always shy. You sense Gilles tightening next to you, afraid of your reaction. He’s right to be afraid.

You know there are two things you can do. One is exactly what Gilles fears; to give in to the pain, to leave, to just run out in a storm of tears and snot and ugliness and humiliation. It’s unthinkable; the evening has just begun, and the embarrassment would be unforgivable to you. The other is to swallow the pain, to numb it, to resist it until the natural end of the night.

You wait for Marc to speak but he doesn’t. He’s good with children but Claudine has refused and is approaching the age where there will no longer be a different choice to make. Claudine hasn’t heard; she’s still leaning over the pots on the stove. You wonder if Marc knows. Despite your own reticence, Gilles has spoken to friends. Not to Marc, as far as you know, but perhaps somebody else passed the news along.

You wait for Gilles to speak but he doesn’t. It’s to you to break the silence cold and sharp and gray and brittle and treacherous as thin ice over loose gravel on a mountain road. You feel like you are on that road, driving a tractionless vehicle, hurtling towards a void. 

“How lovely, congratulations!” you say brightly in a voice that doesn’t even hint of shattering.

The ceremony has become awkward. Marc jumps up to look for a juice, a soda, something other than the wine, for her. Gilles mumbles some good wishes and puts down his glass. You take a sip – more than a sip – from your own, not caring about the rudeness of doing so before having touched it to everyone else’s. Claudine is still in the kitchen.

It gets worse. Oh, we weren’t expecting it, they say; it was a surprise; we only found out a couple of weeks ago. It’s not the right time, but we’ll be happy nonetheless. It’s three months along. As it would have been for you.

The time has arrived to say cheers properly. Glasses clink, your own among them, half-empty. “Congratulations again!” you add, as if saying it enough times could stop the anger and sorrow and resentment and jealousy, simmering, burning inside you. Consuming you.

Presently you excuse yourself and you go to the toilet and look at yourself in the mirror. What comes to mind is Munch’s The Scream. You are screaming. Your mouth is open, a perfect oval, and you are screaming. No, it is much more than that; it is not just that you are screaming; it is that you sense "an infinite scream passing through you."

No sound comes out. Your eyes are round and you put your hands to your cheeks like the artist’s subject, desolate, desolated, standing alone on the bridge over "the blue-black fjord." You see no sky but if you could you know there would be, for you too, "blood and tongues of fire."

You know if you let a single sound or a single tear escape, the second option, resistance, will no longer be possible.

You walk out of the bathroom. Your eyeballs are red from the pressure and your throat is raw despite the silence of your screams.

The evening passes. You talk and laugh and eat and drink and the evening passes. You take too much wine. You know you have to. Occasionally you go to the toilet and scream soundlessly again.

Finally it’s time to go home.

That’s when you let the sounds and the tears escape.

source

20 comments:

  1. You have a really great way with words. You captured that evening so well I felt like I was you---probably because that has been me in the past (somewhat, at least). I'm so sorry. It sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most of us here have been in this situation, in one way or another - the details can change but the raw emotions remain. Thank you ... for the compliment and your empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I friend told me she was PG a couple weeks after my MC. My response: "OK" and then just turned around and walked away. I couldn't think of an appropriate response. At least you found "congrats" in your dictionary still.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, but only because other people were watching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miscarried about a week before Christmas and I also had a similar experience a couple weeks ago. A friend that didn't know about the miscarriage pulled me into another room and told me she was pregnant all excited. All I could thnk about was why wasn't anyone else here so I could blend into the background and not be seen? But instead she was staring at my face with anticipation and I had to squeak out a congratulations, hug her then turn around and leave the room as quickly as possible. Since my miscarriage everyone I know is pregnant. It's been getting harder not easier with each month.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lacey, I'm so sorry. I feel like it's getting gradually harder for me, too, as time goes by, especially now that the more cautious among my friends are announcing pregnancies due the same time mine would have been. I hope you have the support you need, and we will both need to keep the faith that one day we'll feel better! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. This. All of it. All of it. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here from CdlC. I've had one of those evenings. I like how you worded it just perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember reading this one, but am so glad I found it through Creme. Truly lovely, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I too must have missed this one before CdlC. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also found it through Crème. So true and so well written. And Munch's painting illustrates it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here from the Creme. This is perfect. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Whoa. This is intense, and definitely exactly what I experienced on many occasions. Great writing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Here from the creme. Great visual imagery and I'm so sorry that you (and all of us) have had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here from Creme. Your writing is captivating. I am so sorry you had to endure that evening. I love your mastery of the words and images of the silent scream.
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "Your eyeballs are red from the pressure and your throat is raw despite the silence of your screams. "

    Oh I have felt that. The pressure behind the eyes and the sore throat from a scream held in. I am so sorry for this interaction, and I admire your courage in reliving it through your writing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here from Creme.
    I've been in that situation...and I reacted very poorly. I totally get the silent scream.

    I am glad to read things are better now with you having a little one at home with you. Best of thoughts for you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh, I'm so glad those painful days are in your past. I remember all-to-well being in this situation. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautifully, beautifully written. I have across this via Creme, but I look forward to following your blog. You understand, you get it, when so many do not. I have just started blogging, and since I am not yet sharing it with those close to me, I would welcome a friend. All my best, Rae.

    http://blesstheinfertileroad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.