When I was a driver, in the country where cars are revered as an extension of one's personality (or is that just in Southern California?), late was fine. When you're driving, the minutes you're running behind can just be transferred to the minutes past the designated appointment time you will actually arrive. Now, though, I'm a bus-taker, and the problem with late when you're taking a bus is that the minutes you're running behind are augmented by the five, ten, twenty minutes you must spend waiting for the bus following the one you've just missed – a bigger problem.
So, I was late. And I was about to miss the bus. The one I needed leaves from a busy transportation hub in the center of town on a route I'm not familiar with. Scurrying along with fingers crossed, I turned the corner and saw with dismay that it was already at the stop. At least, what I thought was the bus I needed was already at the stop. I was almost certain but not quite.
Fortunately, the driver was standing outside it, smoking, which allowed me enough time to run over and hop on just as he was starting the engine, having put out his cigarette and climbed back in. Feeling the pressure of a busload of waiting passengers and a driver with his foot ready to press down the accelerator, I hastily asked him if this was indeed the bus I needed, leaving my route map tucked away in my pocket.
"Excuse me," I panted breathlessly, "is this the bus that stops at [the place I wanted to go, pronounced with my anglophone accent]?"
He turned slowly around and fixed me with a stern and disapproving gaze. "Mais bonjooooouuuurrrr, Madame," he purred with an eyebrow raised.
Which was not just a simple hello. I knew what it meant – I've seen that raised eyebrow before. It meant that I was being reprimanded for forgetting to go through a polite round of greetings before offering my excuses and asking my question. For doing the Swiss equivalent of getting somebody's attention with, "Hey, you!"
Cringing but undaunted, I said a quick bonjour and plunged forward: "Is this the bus that stops at [the place I wanted to go, pronounced with my anglophone accent]?"
He looked a bit incredulous and did not un-raise his eyebrow. "To where?"
I repeated the stop name.
"No. You need another line to go there." And he revved the engine.
I frowned skeptically. It was possible that I was mistaken. Busload of waiting passengers and impatient driver be damned, I pulled out the map and looked it over. I was not mistaken. I pointed out the stop to him. "This line doesn't go here?"
"Oohhh! You want to go to [the place I wanted to go, pronounced with his French accent]! Oohhh! Yes, you can take this bus."
I thought so ... and as I thanked him and headed towards a seat, I sensed what might have been his slight disappointment at the failure of an attempt to give me my just rewards for being so rude. Perhaps I'm ungenerous or overly sensitive; perhaps the mix-up was genuinely due to my anglophone pronunciation of the stop name. But assuming the begrudgingness of his aid really was due to my missing bonjour, this is how I imagine the conversation could have gone if I'd had some real Swiss manners about me when I'd first hopped onto the bus:
"Bonjour, Monsieur [pant, pant]."
"Bonjour, Madame."
"Excuse me, Monsieur, is this the bus that stops at [the place I wanted to go, pronounced with my anglophone accent]?"
"Yes, Madame. [The place I wanted to go, pronounced with his French accent] is seven stops from here."
"Good. Thank you very much."
"You're welcome. Good day, Madame."
"Good day, Monsieur."
Coming from a culture where a straightforward excuse me at the beginning and then thanks at the end would suffice in this context, I have difficulty forcing a conversation pattern that I find drawn-out and time-consuming, and, as such, potentially even impolite for the asking and answering of a simple question.
But in this country where these exchanges of greetings, thanks, and wishes for a good day (and then perhaps even thanks for the wishes for a good day; just be sure not to ask, "How are you?") are customary and expected in almost every situation, it is me who is impolite. I know it's important to integrate and to habituate oneself to the habits, customs, and manners of the country where one finds oneself, so I willingly took this well-deserved lessons on Swiss manners.
But only because at the end of it, I arrived just on time.
Bloggie friends, what is your worst foreign-culture faux pas? Or your funniest?
![]() |
| this in no way resembles a Swiss bus. borrowed ethically from source |

OMG, I have sooooo many!! I think the one that caused me the worst embarrasement when I was pregnant with my baby, I was looking for a brand of toys called "Lilliputiens".... I went to all the toys stores in Geneva looking for them, but to my amaze I just couldn't find them. One day while browsing stores at Annemasse, we went inside this toy store. I, extremely confident (hehe), asked the seller if they had "lilliputans"... He looked at me, my husband looked at me and after a small pause they start laughing.... I was like "what!?"... Then my husband proceeded to say: what she really meant was "lilliputiens"!! In that second, I realized I had being asking for whores all around Geneva... Hehe the only good thing was that I finally was able to buy the toy I wanted... LOL
ReplyDeleteI laughed so hard when I read this! Tiny little whores .... It reminds me of a friend telling me that she once said "fellations" instead of "felicitations." Now I'm paranoid every time I congratulate somebody - I have to stop and wonder, oh dear, what did I just say? And the other day, a lovely elegant old lady, while talking about her past teaching career, told me that it was nice to "faire l'amour" in the classroom. What?! But after a minute I realized that my lazy anglophone ears had misheard; she had said "faire l'humour"!
DeleteLove it! I've lived abroad several times and, as a result, have made many a social blunder. Like just saying no in China, where having a million excuses is really the right way to say no. Geez.
ReplyDeleteCultural experiences, although frustrating and embarrassing, really are moments of immense personal growth! Good for you for putting yourself out there and being so adventurous! :)
Ha, yes, I've heard that in Asian cultures a direct "no" is incredibly rude. Oops! That is so true, though, about the personal growth - I appreciate the encouragement!
DeleteLove your writing, as always. My biggest blunder...we were leaving Switzerland, actually, going back to Rome to catch our flight back to the states the next day. The customs guy cane to our sleeper compartment. We had been taking shots (5 college girls) and he started to question what we were doing and where we were going. He spoke Italian, as did I, well as did I when I was sober. So I kept telli g him we were going home tomorrow, home, to the US. In actuality, I kept telling him we were going up! Up! Up! Repetitively. Oops. No wonder he triple checked our compartment for illegal substances!
ReplyDeleteI was laughing so hard when I read this, too ... I can only imagine what the poor guy was thinking, of all you girls going up! Up! Up! I think that alcohol can help to a certain extent with speaking a foreign language, since it cuts the anxiety and inhibition a bit, but there is a limit after which it all just goes to hell. Sounds like you might have been at that point! That trip must have been so much fun.
DeleteIt will sound very silly, but I was only about five at the time and I was mortified about it, so much so I still remember it vividly today. I once got very overexcited and over hungry at the house of a German friend of my fathers and kept asking if the croissants were ready yet, only to be quietly told that, of course, we were waiting for pretzels and that I was talking about a French food. I was so embarrassed. That kind of deep down beetroot embarrassment you only feel as a child.
ReplyDeleteAwww ... that is so sad and sweet. I hope you got over your embarrassment quickly enough to enjoy a lovely chewy salty pretzel! (And that the incident didn't give you a croissant aversion - that would be a shame!)
DeleteI don't think I would fare well in Switzerland! It's funny, I think of myself as someone who gets right to the point, but when travelling in my husband's home country, he constantly reminded me that I didn't have to be so polite. Even if you learn the language of a new place, the social norms are so much trickier to get right!
ReplyDeleteThat would be a refreshing change - to be less polite! Remind me, where is your husband's home country? I know he is foreign but I don't think I ever knew where he comes from.
DeleteI love reading your blog, especially when you write about the Swiss!
ReplyDeleteI smiled when I read this post, I so had to get used to the Swiss ways when we lived there.
I always thought it was hilarious that EVERYONE says hi to each other on the street constantly. When we lived in CH and would be on vacation in Belgium, I always had to be careful to not constantly say Grüezi when walking around in the city!!
That is one of the things I love here, that people acknowledge each other in passing, but the habit can be a little startling in other countries! My husband definitely gets crazy-guy looks when he greets people the Swiss way in the US. You can just see their eyes darting around, looking for the nearest escape route ....
Delete