Friday, May 04, 2012

I'll print my own diploma, too.

Thank you for all your words of support yesterday. Since that meeting with the endocrinologist a couple of weeks ago, I've tried to turn my anger towards empowerment. This includes spending a good chunk of time in the endocrinology and gynecology sections of the library at the hospital I know so well, and there is now a stack of medical textbooks, photocopied chapters, and printed articles on our kitchen table, the ersatz desk, all of them highlighted, tabbed, dog-eared, and scribbled on. (Well, not the books, one of which was still proudly wearing its price sticker: 550 francs, or 600 dollars – enough to make you afraid to even open it.)

I gave up my pre-med aspirations after one wicked undergrad semester, but that isn't going to stop me from becoming my own best, best-informed advocate on this.

4 comments:

  1. Knowledge is power! You sound just like me. I think at my last app I knew more about sperm analysis breakdowns than the doctor did. I am so glad you channeling the power of your anger into something productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently read a quote that goes something like this: from anger comes passion. Meaning if something is close to your heart that causes anger you want to make a difference somehow, for yourself and/or others. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all deserve an honorary diploma in all things fertility!
    Happy Friday! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! We will all be coming to you with our questions now!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.