That fall I had last week? Well, it turns out that although it didn't actually kill the baby, it did do some damage to me. At first I just felt the shock of the impact, but by Saturday I was crying out in pain when making basic movements, and on Sunday I couldn't get out of bed. (Except to pee. And goodness knows I have to do a fair bit of that these days.)
On Sunday night Gilles put my shoes on for me and dragged me to the urgent care center, where I was prescribed a few days of rest and a double-dose of a pregnancy-safe over-the-counter painkiller. It doesn't seem like anything's broken based on the physical examination, but there was of course no confirmatory x-ray.
Since then I've alternated between couch and bed in a state of misery. It hurts to stand, it hurts to walk, it hurts to sit, it hurts to roll over. The only thing that brings me a bit of comfort is the new hot water bottle that Gilles ran to town to buy me when I learned, with horror, that my old one was leaking.
(Was the horror really necessary? Well, even when a patch of wetness on a mattress is located at the level of the kidneys rather than the birth canal, and even when it's accompanied by a sad and deflated yellow rubber vessel in the form of a duck, the possibility always exists until ruled out with a little application of common sense that it could have been the water breaking!)
(Which raises the question: is there even any water to break at this early stage? Not that I'd let the answer keep me from my irrational fears, of course.)
I was supposed to start teaching a handful of new classes this week – canceled, as are the regular lessons. I feel guilty because I hate letting people down, and backing out at the last minute, no matter what the reason, is no way to start a new job.
But I will admit (here) that I also felt relieved about it, because the thought of adding those hours of work to my pre-existing ones was stressing me a lot. This pregnancy is making me so ill and exhausted all the time that I'm barely making it through the day as is. Bad back or no, I need this break, which is pathetic to say after a mere four weeks of working.
I'm so tired, always, except during the wee hours of the morning when I should be sleeping but can't. I get dizzy and close to passing out when I stand for more than a couple minutes. If I don't have a headache, I know it's but a moment's brief respite. I'm disgusted at the thought of eating, but the less I eat, the sicker I feel, so I have to make myself do it, as repugnant as it is. Even the ice cream my sweet husband brought home with the new hot water bottle to cheer me up made me cringe in disgust.
So that's my little sniffle-sniffle for myself, and now it's time to just get on with it. I don't think that any of this is particularly abnormal for my state, and of course I'm incredibly thankful and grateful for the reason that I feel this way. (Except for the back. No thankfulness or gratitude there.) I do think, though, that a shower might do some good, if not to me then at least to my poor flat-mate who has been kindly tolerating my recent unwashed scuzziness with nary a raised eyebrow. I'll start with that and hope that further improvements will follow.
Ohhh man... lady, I am hoping this miraculously passes. If I were anywhere near you I would come over and sit on your back. (for fun, yes, but also to hopefully crack something or whatever it is back-sitting is supposed to accomplish).
ReplyDeleteOh no! Feel better!!! What a mess. We need to wrap you in bubble wrap. xoxox
ReplyDeleteOh man that stinks! I hope you feel better ASAP. It stinks to feel crummy all day long.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard enough to get through the day when you're exhausted and pukey. I can't imagine having to add excruciating back pain into the mix. :(
ReplyDeleteI hope you feel better soon!
And from over here it seemed like a little bump or bruise. I'm so sorry to hear you are in such pain. Rest up. We must keep you healthy!
ReplyDeleteOh no! That sucks so much! I'm sorry that the fall is adding to the already-difficult first trimester. Take the much needed rest and try not to feel bad about it :)
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you are in such pain...hoping you feel much better soon!
ReplyDeleteWe are soul sisters! I fell down the stairs on Saturday on the right side of my @$$. I was totally freaking out and almost called the doctor, but luckily I have the Doppler and was able to find the little one in just a second. So scary though. My doctor told me (the last time I went in for a fall) that unless you fall really hard on your stomach and are bleeding that the baby is almost always just fine. They have so much cushioning in there. Now I just have a nice bruise on my backside and constant reminders from my husband to not walk around the house in socks! Hope you feel better soon! Email me if you want to commiserate. :)
ReplyDeleteOh no! I hope you feel better soon! Try to enjoy this rest as much as you can. And please, don't fall again - otherwise I'll have to come over and watch over you :)
ReplyDeleteIce cream doesn't even sound good to you? Well I'm not sure I ever want to get pregnant then! ;-)
ReplyDeleteFeel better-I'm sure that it is no fun to be pregnant AND in pain for other reasons.
Oh man, I hope you feel better soon. (And I think there's about a teaspoon of amniotic fluid protecting your olive.)
ReplyDeleteMama, what have you done to yourself! Please take it easy and rest. Feel better soon my lovely.
ReplyDeleteOuch. That sounds pretty serious. I hope you are up and about and feeling better soon. In the meantime enjoy the time off and the rest. My biggest love, ice cream, makes me cringe right now too. This baby is no fun.
ReplyDeleteRest up and feel better!
ReplyDeleteOh hon, this sounds terrible. I'm right there with you with feeling awful, but can't imagine adding a fall on top of it! You poor thing (oh and I've totally gone off ice cream too, I guess it must be a 'thing')
ReplyDeleteOh, goodness. You poor thing! Hope you heal quickly and that you find at least occasional relief from the yuck-yuck feelings. Take care of yourself!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that hot water bottle is helping. It's wonderful that that isn't one of the off limits things for pregnancy! So sorry that you are in pain as well as dealing with the first trimester yucks. I hope things get better soon and am glad that your husband is taking care of you.
ReplyDeleteOh sweetie, take care of yourself and rest up!
ReplyDeleteOh no! Sorry about the fall. Not that I know anything about morning sickness but I made an awesome lemon drizzle cake that apparently temporarily 'cured' my best friend's sickness, so I gave her half and she ate it for three days! Give it a go?!
ReplyDeleteFeel better soon!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you have felt so bad. There is nothing worse than being sick or hurt while pregnant. I hope the healing picks up and you can find some relief.
ReplyDeleteThere's a very British expression I love: have a good moan. Well, I did, and you all responded ever so sweetly. Your kind get-well wishes (plus my new anti-nausea meds) have made a world of difference in the way I feel!
ReplyDelete