Friday, November 16, 2012

Kicking, waving, living.

The 12-week appointment began with a few tears shed in relief as the worries of the last few days were assuaged. Contrary to my fears, the thyroid hasn't killed the baby. It's still there, still big, measuring almost a week ahead now, and looking more like a real baby than ever. (The snowman days are over.)

All parts that should be visible at this stage are present and accounted for, including a funny little spinal column resembling that of a sardine. It kicked its stubby legs and waved at us with skinny arms, and it will wave at you, too, if you'd like to look here.

The nuchal translucency was within the normal range but low, about 0.5mm. "Too low?" I fretted (average is about 2mm). "No. It's normal, I said," the doctor repeated, probably wishing, not for the first time, that she'd never accepted me as a patient.

I can take the new MaterniT21 test, if we'd like to pay two thousand bucks to ship my blood to the US, Germany, or China for analysis. We would not. The results of the standard blood test for trisomies should be available next week.

She checked my cervix. All is fine, and I received a kind yet stern lecture about keeping my own hands off it because the normal variations would only make me worry. "Let the doctor be the doctor," said doctor concluded, snapping her latex gloves menacingly, or so I imagined.

With the exception of the cervix check and a discussion in the doctor's office, the appointment took place on the examination table with me fully dressed, top pulled up for an abdominal ultrasound. It was a nice step to take.

Next step: waiting almost four weeks for the next appointment, the longest I've had to be patient, without falling prey to yet another fit of anxiety.

33 comments:

  1. Aaaw it waved at me! How adorable and I happy things are progressing so well! Amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, that's the news I was waiting for!! Grow baby, grow! Nice to meet you too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, 12 weeks already! wonderful news my dear. Keep growing little one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay!!! Such a little cutie already! So happy your appointment went well. I am in the 4 week wait for my next appointment, too, so we can wait together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 12 weeks!!! I am so so so so so happy for you!!! Will be thinking of you lots and lots during this 4 week wait!! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so exciting, and so wonderful that things are going well. I hate having to wait between the appointments, feels like increasingly long each time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy happy happy. This makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best post title ever.
    Twelve weeks is a great milestone. I hope these results can temper some of your fears between appointments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely beautiful bebe! I love those skinny little arms. I remember how relieved I felt at that ultrasound. Hope it brings you lots of peace and comfort. You deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such awesome news! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! I'm so glad everything is well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your baby is beautiful! I'm so happy things went well. Four weeks feels like a long time, but it's a good sign the doctor does not feel the need to see you more often. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great news. I am so happy for you. Keep growing little one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post makes me very happy...I am happy that all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hooray!!! This waiting time gets hard, but I remember I started feeling little flutters before 16 weeks. It becomes so much better when you can feel the baby move. I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WONDERFUL!! So glad to read that things are going well.

    YAY for keeping your clothes (mostly) on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. 12 weeks!! This makes my heart happy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay, congratulations! Always a relief to see your little one again! So happy for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your baby is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats!!!! Almost out of the first trimester :) Calls for some celebration with good swiss chocolate? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. 12 weeks??!! Already??!! Wow!!! Congratulations on that milestone! So very happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fantastic news! I think your baby was waving at you- "hey mom, I'm doing great!" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sucky that it costs so much to ship blood. Maybe you can just mail it to me and I will send it in Tuesday with mine. Maybe we can get some sort of group rate or something :)

    Happy 12 weeks. Your little waving miracle person is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love reading these kinds of happy posts! So glad baby is measuring well. Hoping the next four weeks pass quickly and with as little worry and anxiety as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This post makes me smile. Like, grinning-ear-to-ear-look-at-that-perfect-little-baby-waving-its-perfect-little-arm smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hate the 4 week waits between appointments! I loved getting to the point I was going every week :) I'm glad all is well!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. And I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. I've tagged you in my latest post :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you all, as always, from the bottom of my heart. This would be a lonely journey indeed without your wonderful and much-appreciated support!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good luck with your pregnancy, and I'm glad all is well so far.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi from ICLW...the waiting is the worst

    ReplyDelete
  31. Okay, these posts, your anxiety, your interactions with medical professionals who stamp "crazy" on your file? They could have come from me - and in fact they did three years ago. During my pregnancy (to clarify, my second pregnancy of five, the one that actually produced a finished product), I couldn't believe real people everywhere go a full four weeks without confirming there was still life in there. So I didn't - I forced my way in for heartbeat checks, because I was trying to follow their direction NOT to buy a doppler for home use. Which makes absolutely no sense at all, I now have the sense to realize. Anyway, you seem smarter than I am, so you have probably realized that you are near the end of the hardest part of pregnancy, the part before your body does you the favor of detecting movement of the babe, providing the kind of daily reassurance you crave. And if s/he doesn't move in a while, you can eat something sweet to wake him/her up -- so everyone wins. Also, as the pregnancy progresses you do start to realize that unless you're routinely consuming unprescribed drugs or throwing yourself down stairs a la soap operas, nothing you do is going to make it disappear. Still, you will probably be shocked when you deliver this baby. My first words were, "There was a real baby in there!" I think the OB thought I was nuts, but that wonder, that feeling of true gratitude, it never goes away. We work for these kids, and we love them fiercely because of it.

    Anyway, I hope that with each passing day you feel more confident, and the joy starts to overtake the worry.

    Thanks for your comment on my blog. I hope neither of us ever has to choose an outfit for a bad ultrasound again.


    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.