Thursday, November 08, 2012

Sick as a dog vs. acting like a dog.

One of my strongest early childhood memories is of my family taking a clifftop walk on our wind-battered island one sunny afternoon. It's not the beauty of the wild coastline or the happy time together that sticks out in my mind; no, it's my getting sick shortly after starting down the rocky path.

I'd just eaten a hot dog, and it was clear from what reappeared that I hadn't chewed it very well at all. Before anybody could react, a big friendly dog bounded up to ravenously, joyously devour the chunks of meat that I'd presented to him, or so he must have thought.

It was a long time before I ate another hot dog again.

***

Last night I felt really ill again and let myself get famished before realizing that as much as the idea made me cringe, I had to choke something down to prevent the sickness from increasing. The only thing I could find that didn't make me recoil in disgust was a remaining box of my parent-imported mac and cheese. (Instead it gave me just a mere quiver. Of disgust, that is.)

I ate it in bed. By the last few forkfuls I knew it wouldn't sit well, and as I finished, I looked down at my empty plate and, so help me God, knowing that there was nothing else palatable in the kitchen and that my stomach absolutely had to be filled, I wondered, If I immediately throw it right back up onto this plate, can't I just eat it again?

My next thought was of the so-long-ago dog and hot dog, and my next action was to run, decrepit back be damned, to the toilet for a good – and final – purging. There would be no eating it again. As bad as things are, they cannot be that bad. I'm not a dog, after all.

***

I went to my regular-care doctor to check on my back, which is getting better. He asked if I'd been taking the pain medication, and I said no, that I was trying to avoid it as much as possible given my "delicate state."

He frowned and gestured roundly in front of his own ample belly. "Baby is in front, baby is first," he told me, and then pointed at himself, "but behind every baby is a mother who needs to take care of herself, too."

I swallowed a giggle at his personalized analogy and, deciding to listen to his counsel, asked him for an anti-nausea medication.

I'm now the proud holder of a box of metoclopramide tablets. So far so good, as in so far no more writhing and groaning in nauseated sickness. But as it was a long time before I ate another hot dog, so will it be before I tackle another bowl of steaming neon fake-cheese noodles.

29 comments:

  1. Oh no!! What an awful story. I can't believe that you actually contemplated eating the mac and cheese again. Pregnancy does some weird things to people... ;-)

    Glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First the ice cream aversion, then this. Weird indeed. Thanks for the wishes!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I wondered if it was too gross to share, but given everything else I write about here, why not this too?

      Delete
  3. Is it weird that this story actually gives me a craving for hot dogs?

    Anyhoo.

    Your Doctor sounds AMAZING and very wise. We need you in good shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it weird that this story made me crave mac and cheese?

      Hooray for drugs!

      Delete
    2. No joke - I made mac n' cheese for dinner after I read this. Not the neon kind, though.

      Delete
    3. All I can say is: yes, Stork, it is weird; yes, Jenny, it is weird (and disgusting); and Buttermilk, I have no words.

      Delete
    4. But I'm glad to have inspired such appetites!

      Delete
  4. Glad you were able to get your hands on something to help with the nausea. And your doctor is right -- take care of yourself, little mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I have felt so much better these last few days, it's amazing!

      Delete
  5. I'm just glad you got meds...and I second Jenny, I strangely now want mac and cheese. Get better and don't think you're stronger than the drugs! That never works. I felt the same way about the ambien my ob prescribed, but after three nights of sleeping, I realize that sleep is one of the best things I can do for me, my baby, and my job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. There's no point suffering through if there's a low-risk alternative. I was worried about sleeping, too, since I had to stop taking melatonin, but so far the pregnancy fatigue is (mostly) getting me all the way through the night. Glad you're getting the rest you need!

      Delete
  6. That's kinda tragic. Boxed mac & cheese is an amazing, delectable treat. Yum. Hopefully the medication will help!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry you're not feeling well, but your doctor is a wise man. I hope the medication helps you to feel a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. right there with you lady, on the metoclopramide too... seems to be helping a lot and I hear you on not wanting to take anything but honestly it has to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuc, I am so sorry you are suffering lovely lady. Good old Doc, you listen to him, and look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear ... I have been, and I feel so much better!

      Delete
  10. I hope you feel better. Funny enough mac and cheese has been one of things I've eaten the most during this pregnancy...is that strange? I'm glad you have meds and hope you'll feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand why you'd be craving it; it seems like such a good pregnancy food - comforting, easy to digest, nutritious (well, perhaps not ...) - and I'm sad to have to add it to my list of repulsions!

      Delete
  11. Oh no you ruined mac and cheese for yourself, I'm sad about that! Why must comfort food be taken from us?
    Not Cool Nausea, not cool.

    I hope the medication continues to help. Doc is right, mom needs care too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, sorry ... but hey, now you have your soft tacos to get you through it!

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself, and hope you start to feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you got the anti-nausea pills, hope they're helping tons!

    And funny enough, I had a similar hot dog incident this Friday. Took three bites and something just didn't get chewed right, threw it up and spent the rest of the night feeling like crap. Too funny to read your story after that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I'm sorry you were feeling bad, but I'm glad that it happened before you read this - I'd hate to have been the inspiration for your own hot dog misadventure.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.