Monday, October 22, 2012

An ICLW welcome!

(Let's all pretend I posted this yesterday ....)

Hello to my existing bloggie friends as well as to those of you coming over for the first time for International Comment Leaving Week! If you're here for that, welcome – I look forward to meeting you here, as well as to visiting your own space and learning more about your own journey.

You've arrived here at a happy time; or rather, at what is becoming a happy time. Last month, after my husband Gilles and I "celebrated" a year of trying (marked by an early miscarriage, the impetus behind this blog) and then made plans to schedule an IUI, we found out I was pregnant.

Unlike the first time, which was – for a few short weeks, anyway – nothing but blissful, due in no small part to my arrogant certainty that nothing could or would go wrong (oh, the hubris!), this one has been full of mixed emotions. We've been a lot more cautious, a lot more fearful. But so far so good, and I'm doing my best to be overwhelmed by happiness and not by fear – or paranoia.

A little bit on our medical background, in case you and I have similar "interests": my husband has super low morphology, a condition known as teratazoospermia or, more pleasingly, monster sperm syndrome. I have autoimmune hypothyroidism, which was badly controlled last time I was pregnant, which may well have led to the miscarriage. At the very least, it resulted in a hostile environment for a growing embryo.

I've been working closely with an endocrinologist to make sure that my thyroid hormones are tightly under control this time, and we have our fingers crossed that the sperm that met last month's egg was not of the monster variety. And that's all we can do other than just take each day as it comes, hoping that we'll have a little bundle of joy in our arms in just 219 more days ... but who's counting?

In the meantime, there's something very important I'd like to know about you, since I'm living in Switzerland, the land famous for both: what is your preference, chocolate or cheese?

A happy comment-full week to all of us!

us, enjoying a proper pint in an English pub last summer.

73 comments:

  1. Chocolate, no cheese, no chocolate. Agh! What a tough choice on a Monday. I love both so much.

    219 more days! That is nothing, it will be here before you know it. Sending you love as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay, I won't really make you decide .... Thanks for the love, and sending some back to you, too.

      Delete
  2. cheese! I could not live without cheese!!! Chocolate is a treat, cheese is like my life-blood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't live without it either - or chocolate, for that matter ....

      Delete
  3. Hi, thanks for visiting my site! I like your sense of humor and writing style. Congratulations on your pregnancy! I hope that you will have a happy and healthy 9 months. It's a really hard call, but I think I'll go with chocolate (unless we're talking feta!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over yourself, and thank you for your kind words! Okay, chocolate, but deal's off if there's feta around.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm sorry for your losses hoping you get everything figured out! I love Switzerland! I had fondue in interlaken (sp?) and Grindalwald is breathtaking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grindelwald is my hometown!!! I can't believe you've been there :) (Spelling of Interlaken is perfeclty fine)

      Delete
    2. I loooove fondue. I haven't been to either of those places ... yet. I'd love to. Lya, that's awesome you're from Grindelwald; you'll have to give me some tips when we do go!

      Delete
  5. Congrats on your BFP! it sounds things are under much better control for you this time around. Wishing you a happy & healthy pregnancy!
    I am definite chocolate enthusiast. Also a lucky almost-neighbor of a little swiss chocolatier. Dark chocolate had a major role saving my sanity through the IF journey. Funny fact, my cravings for chocolate turned down to zero during pregnancy. Fortunately, the gauge set back to normal post baby!
    Thanks for visiting my site and Happy ICLW!
    #51

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the wishes, Erika! We have a chocolatier as a neighbor, too ... it can be very dangerous, especially since it's between us and the supermarket I shop at frequently. I'm glad your chocolate gauge is back to normal - that's a terrible craving to lose!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! Best wishes for a happy, healthy, easy pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm I allowed to vote too? How about chocolate fondue? LOL.
    Anyway, I'll have to vote for CHEESE :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course! Chocolate fondue is the perfect compromise; very diplomatic of you.

      Delete
  8. Chocolate. I'd kill anyone who took it away from me.

    Congratulations! Stick, baby, stick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let nobody step between you and your chocolate! Thank you for the wishes.

      Delete
  9. How can I pick between chocolate and cheese. Both these words are currently making my mouth water...1/2 a vote for chocolate and 1/2 a vote for cheese! :)

    Happy ICLW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's a terrible choice to make, isn't it? I'll take the half and half!

      Delete
  10. Cheese cheese cheese! (though being pregnant somehow made me like chocolate more - I never used to eat it, but definitely indulge now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's a beneficial and enjoyable after-effect of pregnancy!

      Delete
  11. Greetings from ICLW!

    I'm crossing my fingers and sending you positive vibes for this pregnancy!

    And to answer your question. Cheese. But it was a very close race.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheese and chocolate. Both. I cannot possibly pick one. And as I read your question, I then wondered if it's possible to have chocolate-flavored cheese. Because if it didn't taste disgusting, I could go for that. :)

    Enjoy ICLW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See EmHart's comment just below ... yep! Go for it and let us know what you think!

      Delete
  13. I still refuse to choose. They have started selling chocolate Philadelphia in the UK. I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen that here too. I should try it for cupcake frosting/icing - often I use a cream cheese base with cocoa powder added. That would cut out a step!

      Delete
  14. Oh no, I have to choose between chocolate and cheese?

    I'll go with chocolate!

    And..... a million congrats :-) I can only imagine the joy, trepidation and excitement you and DH must be feeling. Hang in there, good things coming your way in 219 days :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS on the pregnancy! How excited you must be!!!

    And... I could never choose between chocolate and cheese. They are like the two best foods in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only the two best foods, but also the two best food groups! There are only three, really: chocolate, cheese, and everything else.
      Thanks for the wishes!

      Delete
  16. Congrats!
    Happy ICLW!
    I'd pick cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Definitely chocolate!! Although I do love cheese so it is a hard choice to make!

    So happy everything is going well for you!! Wishing you a happy & wonderfully healthy remainder of your pregnancy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's an unfair question. Thank you for your kind thoughts!

      Delete
  18. Happy ICLW and congratulations on your pregnancy! You're in Switzerland? I think in that case I can't choose between chocolate or cheese. Equally yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Equally yummy, and equally irresistible. Thank you for your wishes!

      Delete
  19. Hello, visiting from ICLW. Congratulations on your pregnancy!! That is a tough decision..... hmmm I think I will have to go with chocolate, but both are sooooo delicious!! I look forward to checking back in on your pregnancy journey.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I look forward to checking in with you again, too. I know, it's a difficult question - a bit unfair really!

      Delete
  20. Hello from ICLW as well. Congratulations. When I was pregnant with my son, yes, caution and counting days was how I got through. It's tough to manage the fear and hope all at once. Fingers crossed for a long, uneventful 218 more days. :)

    Cheese OR chocolate? Can't I have both? I love both equally, though at this point, I am looking forward to a night with my best friend with stinky, unpasteurized, gooey cheese. We will likely finish it off with chocolate, though.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a perfect night between best friends - enjoy! Thanks for relating to the fear, and the hope, too, as well as for your wishes.

      Delete
  21. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Happy ICLW and a huge congrats on your pregnancy. As for cheese or chocolate....CHOCOLATE all the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chocolate it is! Thank you for your wishes and for coming over here, too.

      Delete
  22. Chocolate, always chocolate!
    Congratulations!!! What exciting news! Being pregnant after a loss is always a different experience than the naive bliss that women experience without the loss. It seems like just yesterday that I had 200+ days to go and my bubs is now 10 weeks old! It flies by. Wishing you peace, health and rest in these early days! Look forward to following your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the choice was easy for you!
      You're right that the loss changes everything. Thank you for sharing a bit of your experience, as well as for your wishes.

      Delete
  23. Now there are only 218 days left to go...woohoo! Just catching up and wanted to say hi. I am so glad that you are doing so well!! :)

    As for the chocolate or cheese...that is so tough. Right now cheese is on my must have list and chocolate is on my like list. Put a bag of M&Ms Pretzel in front of me though and I might change my mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now it's 217, but still, who's counting? I brought a bag of pretzel M&Ms back from the US with me last time because my husband adores the peanut butter kind and I thought he would like this variety, too. And now I'm very tempted to rip into them ... hmmm.

      Delete
  24. Happy ICLW and congratulations on your pregnancy! Normally, I would say cheese, as I am a completely fanatic! My sweet tooth lately, though, is ruling my life, so chocolate it is!

    Thank you for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, chocolate it is, but you can reserve the right to change your mind once your sweet tooth has got itself under control!
      Thank you for your thoughts.

      Delete
  25. Hello from ICLW! Thanks for stopping by my blog and big congratulations on your pregnancy! I don't think I can choose between cheese or chocolate. Those are two of my very favorite foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really an unfair question, isn't it? Choosing is just too much! Thank you for the wishes.

      Delete
  26. Depends on the moment but really, chocolate wins every time! lol. Except that I had a lovely grilled smoked cheddar sandwich today for lunch. Hmm, no, back to chocolate. :P

    Crossing my fingers things keep going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmhhh ... your lunch sounds lovely! I love (and miss) cheddar - it's difficult to find here. Thanks for the crossed fingers!

      Delete
  27. As a decedent of the Swiss (I'm only 1/4) that is a tough one. Although now being lactose intolerant, I am going to choose 'Chocolate'

    An ICLW Visit from #2
    liddy @ the unfair struggle (mfi, speedskating, life)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Cheese wins, no contest. Unless we are talking molten chocolate cake, and then I...just...can't...choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh ... it wouldn't be fair to force a choice in that situation!

      Delete
  29. I got so caught up in fantasizing about cheese and chocolate, I forgot the most important thing: congratulations on your BFP!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Chocolate!
    I also have thyroid problems and getting on meds helped me get pregnant. We also got pregnant just before we were about to do IVF.
    Hope your babies can get out of ICU soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather - I just checked out your thyroid tapping post. It sounds like an interesting theory.

      Delete
  31. Happy happy ICLW! I am Hypo (unexplained) but have tested negative for every underlying condition there is... :(

    Congratulations on the pregnancy and I will be keeping my fingers & toes crossed for an uneventful one. :)

    Cheese please!!! I love me some cheese.

    Bree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! Couldn't live without it. Thank you for the wishes, and sorry to hear about your unexplained hypo - it's frustrating not to have a real answer.

      Delete
    2. Tell me about it...It sucks! You're very welcome and thank you!
      Bree :)

      Delete
  32. Just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! I will pop over to your blog to see ....

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.