It seems the longest I can go without being overwhelmed by fear about this second attempt at baby is three or four days. That's the duration between the third nicely increasing blood test result and the temperature-dropping misadventure, as well as between the pretty-yolk-sac-revealing ultrasound and an "I just don't feel pregnant" episode on Monday (for your benefit, not recorded here) that put me on the brink of calling to see if I could move up next week's appointment to ensure that what had been visible last Friday was still there, only bigger and better.
In the end, I didn't, because there would be no reason for it other than to diminish my anxiety, and that's something I need to learn to do on my own. To that end, there are two things I'm trying to teach myself.
First, that the kind of reassurance given by blood draws or ultrasounds is temporary for a reason – because neither predict the future. They provide a snapshot in time, of that specific moment in time, but give no guarantee of results to follow. For that reason, I think, they easily become addictive as one seeks "just one more" confirmation that all is still okay. In the end, it either will be okay or it won't, and that can't be changed at all by any number of past reassurances.
Second, that it serves no good purpose to over-analyze symptoms, or lack thereof. Generally speaking, lack of symptoms does not necessarily mean a non-progressing pregnancy, just as presence of symptoms does not necessarily indicate a successfully progressing pregnancy (which is especially cruel). This becomes apparent on a more personal basis as I compare this time around to the last one:
- Last time: boobs were much bigger and so sore I couldn't go without support, even while sleeping.
- This time: boobs are still the same size and are sore only if I poke 'em.
- Last time: belly was nicely rounded – pure bloat, but nicely rounded nonetheless.
- This time: belly is as flat as ever.
Symptoms-wise, it seemed a bit more promising the last time around, didn't it? But then, consider:
- Last time: no yolk sac; hCG at 34dpo (6w6d) was a terribly low 773.
- This time: beautiful little yolk sac; hCG is doubling ahead of pace and was 7270 at 23dpo (5w2d), almost ten times higher than the last round's 34dpo figure.
- Last time: the only birth that resulted was that of this blog.
- This time: ... well, let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Thus it seems clear that I shouldn't put very much thought at all into presence or lack of symptoms.
So the new strategy includes: breathe in, breathe out ... and go to bed. If I hadn't just forbidden myself to analyze every little thing I've been feeling (or not), I'd say that this incredible fatigue overwhelming me these last days is a very good sign indeed.
Wow - I feel like I could have written this post! I hate that I have to wait until Wednesday for our next u/s. We'll have to practice relaxing together. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy for you. I know it's stressful. Hang in there and relish in your symptom free Pregnancy bliss. Good vibes your way for that next ultrasound.
ReplyDeleteI wish I had some helpful words for you that could make this easier for you somehow. I can only imagine how fragile everything feels right now, and I'm sure I'd be feeling the same.
ReplyDeleteSending you calm, peaceful, happy thoughts.
This is so true. After my first miscarriage revealed a chromosomal defect I did some digging and found that pregnancies that end due to a known chromosomal defect typically have good betas. This of course was analyzed with the appropriate statistics, and such. It gave me perspective on those snapshots you speak of. I hope the next weeks speeds by and ends with another glimpse of perfection.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine the anxiety feeling you are having! Sending you so many warm thoughts!!
ReplyDeleteYou know what I remembered today? Once of my first thoughts after I was told there was no heartbeat during my last pregnancy was, 'I wish I hadn't been so scared the entire time'. I regretted that I never fully embraced those moments of happiness. Of tranquility. Of peace.
ReplyDeleteI don't want to miss out on those moments again. I don't want you to either.
Everything is going to be fine, I can feeeeel it. And I'm quite the crabby pessimistic person so you can take that to the bank.
ReplyDeleteWishing you lots of peace, lovely.
These are very wise words. I hope I need to come back and re-read them tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteBut you are so right. These tests only capture a moment in time that is usually already gone and hold the promise of nothing. They do however let you know that so far, all is well.
I hope hear only "all is well" for many months to come.
Sending you love everyday as your new full life takes permanent hold.
This time next year I intend to be kissing the little nose underneath that cozy blue hat. Sending all the good thoughts that I can.
ReplyDeleteI just linked to your post from my post because I thought it was so good and relevant to how I am feeling right now too. I hope you don't mind! We can do this girl! This stinking anxiety can go take a freaking hike.
ReplyDeleteDo try to live with gratitude for the present. From my downloaded yoga routine: Inhale trust. Exhale fear.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you. Waiting and wondering are so difficult, but I know you'll make it through. Wishing you nothing but the best news next week!
ReplyDeleteThe anxiety is overwhelming at times, isn't it? I love the idea..breathe in, out, and go to bed!
ReplyDeleteI had so much anxiety throughout my pregnancy, I really feel for you. I had so few symptoms with the twins. Never any morning sickness or anything. And yet, all went well. I look back and wish I could have enjoyed it more, and I wish that for you too (that you CAN enjoy it, it's not too late!) :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry that you're so anxious. I really do understand completely. With both my first (doomed) pregnancies, I had really sore boobs. With this one, nothing. I would poke and prod and still, nothing. I had no morning sickness, just a general sense of ick. I often told DH that I didn't feel pregnant. I moped around waiting for my weekly scan/blood results, and even after a good scan, I was sure the dr. had forgotten to tell me something. I often called the nures back for reassurance.
ReplyDeleteI hope that you can follow your own advice and take deep breaths. Try to embrace this as Tami said--you want that baby to know how much you love him/her no matter what. Thinking about you :)
Hi from ICLW. I know exactly what you are feeling, as I am experiencing it daily myself -- now 11 weeks after a loss at 7w4d. I was lucky enough to get a scan at 7w, 9.3, and next week at 12w for the NT scan -- but it's not enough. Thank goodness I have a doppler, but it's still stressful even in between checks with that! I'm trying not to compare my symptoms, esp b/c I didn't get this far last time, but it's so hard. Good luck!
ReplyDelete