Wednesday, October 24, 2012

This is why I love him.

(If you are here for ICLW, welcome! You can find my little introduction – and my very important question for you – here.)

***

Over the last couple of weeks I've been developing some strong food aversions and nausea, but other than a bad reaction to a glass of water drunk much too fast, I'd kept inside me what I'd managed to ingest (that being white rice, white bread, white yogurt ... and gummi bears of any color).

The other night I was lying in bed, engrossed in a book, sleeping husband curled up next to me and sleeping kitty curled up on me. The book had a restaurant scene with talk of fish, and whether it was fresh (no), and mutton, and whether it was stringy (yes), and ... well, that's all I can bear to recount. As I read the descriptions, I could feel my own stomach roiling until the point that I thought there might be trouble.

I started gently trying to disengage the kitty from my chest and myself from the covers, awakening Gilles in the meantime. "Where are you going?" he asked sleepily, as he does every time I get out of bed in the night – like there's a wide range of possibilities for the answer.

"I have to throw up!" And by my saying it, the need became urgent; I stopped being gentle with cat and covers both, pushing them aside and running to the bathroom just in time to aim into the bowl.

Five minutes later and all was better. So much better, in fact, that I was hungry again, with an appetite that only gingersnaps could satiate ... a certain kind of gingersnap, an English one. Luckily for me, I had just the cure ready in the cupboard, as one lonely packet had escaped August's counter-policy carry-on crackdown to voyage with me to Switzerland.

I took them to bed with me to munch on under the covers, reawakening a drowsy Gilles as I settled myself in. "Are you okay?" he mumbled.

"I just threw up!" I announced exuberantly, pleased to have passed this rite of passage (not that I'm thinking too much about symptoms ...).

The mumble became a grumble as he closed his eyes again. "Hmmmhh. Sleep."

"Don't you care?" I asked, slightly offended but no less exuberant.

He looked me over with one lazily reopened eye that lingered on my packet of biscuits. "You don't seem so sick," he declared.

And he rolled over and went back to sleep.

***

We were lounging in the living room, together in spirit but lost in solitary pursuits, curtains closed against the quiet darkness, when all of a sudden he leaped off the couch and strode away purposefully. I heard the fridge door opening and the lid of a glass jar popping.

"What are you eating?" I, ever-meddlesome wife, demanded to know, trailing him into the kitchen where he stood popping them, whatever they were, two by two into his mouth.

Then I saw.

Cornichons (i.e., little pickled cucumbers traditionally eaten with one of Switzerland's most amazing cheese dishes)!

I've been usurped! Isn't he supposed to leave those kind of stereotypes to me?

***

"Look," I demanded for the nth time, thrusting the most recent ultrasound picture into his face, "isn't it nice?"

Usually he just smiles patiently and says yes. This time he took the printout, examined it more closely, and remarked, "It's funny, if you didn't know what this was, you might think it's some kind of tumor."

50 comments:

  1. Laughed out loud at this post :) DH would always tell me he was so happy I was feeling bad (because it meant something was happening) haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny. :)

    And I'm so happy for you that you threw up! (That's not weird, is it?) I haven't been feeling much in the way nausea, but I also feel queasy when I read about food - or look at pictures of food, or even just think of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is weird, I am so happy you threw up. That means it is all working, right! We celebrate the upchucking.

      Delete
    2. Yep, it's definitely to be celebrated! And Jenny - that's how I usually am, too. Strong aversions and a whole lot of queasiness, even in reaction to mere thoughts. It's strange.

      Delete
  3. Man, that is going to be one fast growing tumor!! :-) I feel like my husband will be the same way if I ever get pregnant- I'm a big girl and can throw up on my own while he sleeps. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, big girl, and don't wake him up as you're doing it!

      Delete
  4. LOL! too funny! YAY for Throwing up!! :) only our community of woman get excited about hurling! :D Love It!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, E. That cheese dish made me swoon. Cheese is my ultimate food favorite. Just like mountains are my ultimate favorite topography. It is as if I am half Swiss. (Not - fully German.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, it's the absolute best ... I'd never heard of it before coming here, but now it's my favorite. As much as I love fondue, having to eat one when raclette is also an option makes me a bit sulky.

      Delete
  6. You two make an entertaining pair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, men... can't live with'em, can't live without'em.

    Char has a similar reaction to our u/s picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, true ... at least they provide good fodder for blog posts!

      Delete
  8. Very cute. And congrats on the throwing up thing! A wonderful sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha that is hysterical. Totally a guy thing to say, but I love it. So honest. Also I didn't notice that you had posted ultrasound pics, but I just checked them out...so cute! It is amazing how fast they grow in these early weeks. By 9 weeks they actually look like a little person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I think you're the only one besides me who would say it's "cute" as opposed to "tumorous," so I greatly appreciate that!

      Delete
  10. haha, love it, sounds like something I would do and how my hubs would react... haha Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hahaha! Your hubby and mine share EXACTLY the same bedside manner. Men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men indeed. We'll be here to hold back your hair in spirit when the time comes.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. With a side of little pickled onions ... and a whole lot of melted cheese!

      Delete
  13. I love the stories! Cloudy is the same. He always asks me where I am going in the night or if I get of the couch. It annoys me that he asks all the time but I find myself asking him where he is going and what he is eating too!

    I'm sorry that you threw up. I am happy that it is pregnancy vomit but I know it still sucks!

    You're pictures are beautiful!!! That is one adorable tumor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks, it is pretty adorable, isn't it? (Y'know, for a tumor.) I love that Cloudy does the same thing - it is a bit annoying, but on the other hand, it's kind of nice, too. Just makes it hard to sneak around ... hehe.

      Delete
  14. These will be such wonderful memories to have. Thanks for making me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I remember the days of throwing up and then turning around and eating. My husband thought I was nuts; actually, he sounds quite a bit like yours. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a bit nuts, but hey, when there's space made, why not fill it up again, right?

      Delete
  16. Your husband sounds fantastic:-) And congrats on the puking! My husband thinks I'm insane that I'm depressed I haven't expect for the one time I swallowed a pill wrong. Keep looking at that ultrasound of your little bean, because it is very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might be biased, but he really is :) Your husband might think I'm insane, too, but here's hoping that you get your own moment bent over the toilet very soon!

      Delete
  17. Replies
    1. It's mainly him ... I just tag along (and report his better moments here).

      Delete
  18. Hehe, fantastic. And if you ever need more of those biscuits sent, just ask.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your pregnancy. Someone once told me the early ultrasounds looked a lot like a hurricane picture.

    ICLW #74

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I never thought of that before, but that's so accurate. I'll have to compare mine to those of Hurricane Sandy ....

      Delete
  20. Wahooooo congrats on worshiping at the altar of the porcelain God, a good sign if ever there was one :-)

    I loved Ginger Snaps too when pregnant. And HATED saltines.

    Gilles sounds wonderfully wry, a good trait in a husband.

    I'm glad you're enjoying the journey of pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate Saltines during the best of times, and nothing's changed on that front. But ginger snaps do fill a little hole quite well! Thank you for your sweet wishes.

      Delete
  21. I nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. To find out more about the rules, the award and what you do check out this post blog. :)
    http://amandaandkennethgriswold.blogspot.com/2012/10/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amanda! I'm coming over soon to read all about it.

      Delete
  22. I gave you a shout out on my blog, but I didn't nominate you because I saw that you had already been nominated (apparently by more than one person) :)

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.