***
First, you. All of you who shared ideas on how to track down a Doppler, going so far as to offer to ship one to me from afar. I was so touched by your thoughtful kindness and generosity, and each comment was a hug that brought me, step by step, down from my ledge of absolutely needing to know right that instant that there was still a heartbeat. Thank you for that, so much.
In less than three weeks, we will be ourselves in the land o' cheap and plentiful Dopplers, and I'll (we'll ...) decide what to do when we're there. I found out during an "I need a Doppler and I hate this country for hindering me from obtaining one" tantrum on Tuesday night that Gilles is opposed to said obtainment, mainly because he thinks it will feed my anxiety, as some of you recognized. Perhaps. But perhaps, also, it would calm it, as others of you found for yourselves.
In the meantime, I've stepped away from that ledge and am trying to keep confidence, trust, and faith that there is still a heartbeat, even though I can't verify it.
***
So yes, I'll be home for Christmas, and not only in my dreams, after a four-stopover hell of a flight that will probably include an unplanned-for overnight stay somewhere in the US or Canada, given the tight connections. (I'd complain, except it was a free ticket, obtained with miles, so instead I will just "point out.")
The ticket was booked long before the positive peestick, and I'd go anyway, but the pregnancy gives rise to a bit of concern about thrombosis or related problems, as I have a tendency to swell incredibly during even the shortest of puddle-jumps. Heck, I swell incredibly during the course of a normal day. The lovely gynecologist prescribed me compression tights, and yesterday I went to buy them, which led to my second gift.
Of course I had to tell my fitter and dresser (yep, she dressed me – putting these things on is quite an art) about my delicate state, which felt a bit strange, as we have told nobody yet, with the exception of the obvious: doctors, medical receptionists, anybody on the Internet who cares to read this space, et cetera.
She was excited for me, wondering if it was my first. She asked how far along I was. She tried to estimate what size I would be for the trip home, and then weeks later, for the trip back here, my other home. She gave me advice on medications or therapies that could reduce my tendency to swell – to be taken or done after the birth and after having finished breastfeeding, she added.
Her gift was that she just assumed that all would go well, that the pregnancy would continue to progress, that there would be a bigger bump making its way back to Switzerland than leaving it, and that there would, in due time, be both a birth and a baby. Everything she said to me was based on these assumptions, without qualifying them, as if they were so obvious that they weren't even worth an if.
Although all the signs have been favorable so far, these are assumptions we still don't dare to make after the shock of the last loss. We have started to dream of the future, but after a minute or two, our voices trail off, and we add, "Well, if ... if." And we both know exactly what that if means.
To hear somebody speak with such confidence, without if, without even thinking of that word, felt incredible, even more normal-ifying than an abdominal ultrasound.
Perhaps I should try it myself one day.
***
Third, my mom sent me a sweet little care package yesterday, just because it's autumn. Included were several packets of ............................................
All round wonderful news Elizabeth!! Nothing like spending the holidays at home... oh and Pumpkin Spice!!! Delish! Hope things continue to get better and better as each day passes.
ReplyDeleteThank you my dear ... and I'm looking forward to a much-awaited update from you one of these days! I hope everything is still going perfectly.
DeleteSuch awesome news! Yay for coming home for Christmas! Hopefully the swelling isn't too much of an issue for the flight.
ReplyDeleteThank you - fingers crossed the tights do the trick!
DeleteGood news! It's nice to hear someone else be so confident in your pregnancy. It does make you feel like it might actually happen, despite your worries. (I say this with "your" meaning "my", but applying to you. You get the idea.) And pumpkin spice! And a chance to be home for Christmas! It sounds like this is a good week. I'm glad you are feeling better.
ReplyDeleteIt was so nice to hear somebody just believing - no second-guessing, no iffing. Perhaps I should surround myself with more of that!
DeleteAll of this just warms my heart.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you could get a Rx for compression tights, but I bought some "over the counter" compression socks at the start of my third trimester and I love them - wear them every day now. It is quite a production getting them on! I'm considering making a youtube video...
I think I'm going to need a Youtube video to remind me of the putting-on procedure - it was quite a technique! I love my tights too; it feels so nice to be squeezed like that. A hug for my legs!
DeleteWhat a lovely post. And your mom is clearly a star! Am glad you're heading back for Christmas and try not to feel too worried, it must be hard but I am sure everything is just fine :)
ReplyDeleteI assume therefore that no family know yet? Are you planning on breaking the news to family over the holidays?
A star she is!
DeleteNo, nobody knows yet ... although that will have to change when I arrive, since the cat will be out of the bag the minute I turn down the offer of a glass of wine!
Yay for coming home for Christmas! I hope the compression tights work for you. :-)
ReplyDeleteMe too - but if nothing else, they feel soooo good!
DeleteI'm so glad you were gifted three beautiful things/moments. There's nothing better than that when you're feeling scared and anxious. Hoping the weeks ahead bring you peace and hope that everything WILL be okay.
ReplyDeleteThank you Cassie ... the three filled me with hope, peace, and gratitude! Would that those feelings last - but I'll take every moment I can find.
DeleteI am so glad you will have a Christmas trip home, even if it has to involve tights and stopovers and other crazy things. I hope soon you too can put away the ifs and start enjoying the whens.
ReplyDeleteMe too, me too ... I'm working on it. And I'm so thankful for the trip too - all seven weeks (!!!!!) of it.
DeleteOh, *those* people, those people who just believe, they can be such a gift, I totally get that! Better than any xanex on most days. ;) I'm glad you're in a better head space about it all... may your trip be easier than expected, and just a happy one all around!
ReplyDeleteThis is Gemini Momma by the way... since I moved over to wordpress my username shows up as threegeminis!
DeleteI don't think there is any mistaking those three Geminis!
DeleteThat woman was a real gift to me and I'm starting to think it might be time to surround myself with more positiveness like that in real life. I get so much support here, but there was something about hearing the voice .... Thank you for your sweet wishes!
If you have to spend an unplanned night in a random US city, I hope it is in a great city, allowing you time to eat something delicious. As opposed to, say, Omaha, NE. Take it from me, not so exciting there in Omaha.
ReplyDeleteOh, me too ... I can't wait to eat good old American food again. I told somebody recently that I'd made a list of things to eat while I'm home. She looked at me quizzically and asked if I meant things to do. No, I mean things to EAT.
DeleteI have so been there, right exactly where you are. Well, okay, I was not in Switzerland at the time, I was somewhere decidedly less glamorous. But mentally, so right there. And all I can tell you is, when you start to feel confident, when others act like it's a foregone conclusion, just ride the wave. Just like it's so easy to let anxiety take you swiftly down its path, let the good feelings have their way every once in a while. The further you get along, the easier this will become.
ReplyDeleteOn the doppler, I think you're doing the right thing procuring one. I was advised by my OB not to, and my husband was in your hubby's camp, thinking I would be some mad doppler-crazy fiend, walking around with the wand in my clenched hand. So I didn't get one, but of course that didn't stop the worry. So instead, I went to my OB's office several times a week (I so wish I were kidding), where a sympathetic nurse was willing to give me extra doppler checks. So I still got the extra checks, it just required a lot more stress and legwork on my part. Which makes absolutely no sense at all. I actually think just having the doppler will help you be more calm. I think part of our panic is the sense that we have to wait so long in between appointments for reassurance. Knowing you can get that reassurance whenever is half the battle, I think.
Now I'm curious where you were - I'm wondering what could be less glamorous than Swiss cow pastures!
DeleteI love your thoughts about riding the confidence wave - I hope I'll be able to catch it again when we start to share the news with people. We've been quiet so far in fear of having to make a possible retraction, but hearing such a positive, hopeful reaction from the tights specialist was an eye-opener about all the positivity that might be out there (in addition to here, of course!).
My husband has your husband's fears, as well as that I will go crazy if we can't find the heartbeat for a benign reason. I haven't taken myself to the doctor's for a between-appointments scan, but there have certainly been plenty of late-night (and early-morning, and mid-afternoon ...) anxiety attacks that could have been cut short with a little heartbeat check. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your own experience - it's helped me to come to a decision.
Thanks so much for the shout out. I was just saying to someone who commented on that post that there are such mixed feelings re: Dopplers. I know people who've had late losses in particular feel that they give a false and even dangerous sense of security, because the heartbeat is the last thing to stop and the baby could be in significant distress while you hear the heartbeat and think everything's fine. The idea being that if you have concerns about movement, etc., you need to check that out period, and not be lulled by the heartbeat.
ReplyDeleteFor me personally, it was a complete sanity saver, because I had a lot of bleeding in my first trimester. And if I couldn't hear it after having heard it...well, I didn't want to be in an u/s room and find out that way with no warning ever again (although in retrospect I had warnings that I explained away).
Of course, it's a completely personal thing and only you know what's best for your personality and situation.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Well, thank you so much for a post that will stay with me for a long time.
DeleteYour perspective on Dopplers in relation to late losses is interesting and so tragic; what a terrible sense of false security. I've been considering it more as reassurance during these early days where no movement is felt anyway, but I'll keep what you say in mind for the future. Thank you for sharing your experience and thoughts!
I'm glad you get to spend the holidays with your family. It sounds like the flight isn't going to be fun, but maybe those tights will at least make it bearable. I hope soon your thoughts about this pregnancy will be closer to those of the woman who fitted them.
ReplyDeleteMe too, so much! Thank you.
DeleteI think the tights will get me through it - that and and a whole bunch of in-flight movies.
Argh, hope the 3rd time is a charm.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you're going into this trip with such a positive attitude--- that is a gift!
ahhh compression stockings, they'll feel great when you peel them off after that long flight!
Thank god for star buck's viva's for a taste of home.
I feel so light when I take them off! I love the squeezed feeling when I'm wearing them, too ... so cozy.
DeleteAnd yes, that too - the more positive attitude - is a gift. Thank you for the reminder!
The ifs won't come as frequently as time goes on. And thank goodness for little gifts.
ReplyDeleteI hope so ... and yes, thank goodness indeed.
DeleteHopefully you don't swell. And awesome you're going to be home for Xmas. I hear what you hubs thinks about the Doppler. Mine wasn't crazy about me getting it but then I only used it once a week and he wa more or less ok with that. I wear compression stockings I've had them for years since my former job required me standing a lot.
ReplyDeleteIt is awesome - I'm so glad to be going. I'm glad your Doppler brings you peace in a way that both you and your husband are okay with.
Delete