Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Frogs and princes.

Would you like to read the "OMG my thyroid just killed [another] baby and I haven't felt ill in five days and that's without taking the metoclopramide and also my cervix seems very soft and open" anxiety attack edition? No? Well, neither would I; living it is enough. How about something else, then ....

***

I said that his asshole-ishness merited its own post, but as it turns out, I've since found things to write about other than my ill-fated two visits with the last on the list of rejected gynecologists, the famous fortune-teller. Before I place him firmly in the past, where he belongs, here's one last tidbit from the first appointment, which began with a review of my birth control inclinations:

Him: Are you on the pill?

Me: No.

Him: [Scowl.] Are you using condoms?

Me: No.

Him: [Deeper scowl, withering glare.] Mais madame ... what are you doing to prevent conception?

Me: Well, doctor, we like to rely on the 98% deformation rate of my husband's sperm as our primary method, with the embryocidal effects of auto-immune hypothyroidism as back-up ....

No, no, I didn't really say that. Nor did I say, "Dude. You just asked me how old I am. You just asked me if I'm married. Now make an educated guess whether we're in the demographic that prefers to prevent rather than encourage contraception."

But what I did say led to the famous "you are going to become a mother very, very soon" lecture, and, um, at that very moment a fertilized egg was circling my uterus looking for a cozy place to burrow in, and thus, should all continue to go as it seems to be going – assuming the thyroid hasn't actually killed the baby, that is – he just might have been right about that. So I'll stop there.

***

This is really just to say that I am so happy with my current medical team.

My new gynecologist is amazing. Her first question to me, when the nurse hustled my tear-stained face into her office for an impromptu rendezvous, was, "Was this a difficult pregnancy to achieve?"

There are more difficult, certainly, but this path too was not without its heartache, and once she'd diagnosed my anxiety, she treated it as much as she treated my body. Unscheduled and perhaps unwarranted ultrasounds to put my troubled mind at ease and fill the too-long gap between typically scheduled appointments. Placebo pills to further soothe my fears. Calm, reassurance, and warmth during the some of the most fear-filled – and then the most relieved – moments of my life.

Her only downfall is that due to insurance reasons, she won't be able to assist at the birth if (when when WHEN) the time comes. That's a compromise I'm willing to make, though, if the preceding nine months are ones of trust and comfort.

And the endocrinologist continues to be the sweetheart he always has been. It's not his fault my fucking thyroid won't follow his orders.

I've kissed a few frogs, but I've found my princes.

borrowed ethically from source

19 comments:

  1. Good Doctors are so important! I am so glad you have found your princes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're happy with your docs now. I have to agree with mrkhmusings, good doctors are very important. I left my last Ob cause he said he only did deliveries on a Wednesday or Thursday, so as not to mess with his golf schedule.....like he actually said that. Yup, that was enough to change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I am glad you found some nice and caring doctors (even though you had a few not so great ones). It is soooo important. Now we just have to get that thyroid under control! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you! Perhaps you are far enough along that you are no longer feeling like poo. Maybe your new gynecologist can ease your fears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding doctors you love is so important. Truth be told even though I saw my RE a handful of times he is hands down my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heart your Doctor and I am so glad you held out for your prince. I heard that the poopiness comes and goes, maybe your body is just used to the new hormones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good doctors with a modicum of bedside manner are worth their weight in gold in the journey that is pregnancy after IF. I'm SO glad you seem to have found some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are so few and far between. There are a lot of frogs out there. Hang on to her, it sounds like it will make the months before your birth (oh yes it WILL happen) so much easier. I'm glad you found her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you found a few good princes! I feel the same way! After years of struggling and weathering the storm of nasty comments and insinuations, a kind doctor is amazing! Hang in there lady xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad that you finally like your doctors. I hope your thyroid calms down soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO glad you found a prince. :) Sending lots of hugs and positive thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah for good doctors! I'm glad you were able to find a new one to replace that awful man. Done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing beats a good doctor! So glad you are being treated like a queen!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Having a medical team that you trust is almost more important than anything. With out good care (of your body, mind, and heart) nothing else really matters. Now we just have to entice that thryoid to settle down. And it will, you have done everything right.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad you found doctors you're comfortable with. It's so important.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Trust and comfort are so very important. I'm glad that you're putting that awful doctor in the past and replacing him with one who cares. Fingers crossed that your thyroid starts to listen to you very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm glad you've found doctors you like. It makes a HUGE difference. I've decided to find a different OB and I'm not looking forward to the search.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad you're done with the parade of ass-hat gynecologists and that you've found a team that is truly taking care of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Amen to that! As I said in my previous comment, it's so important to have a supportive team around you - who can offer their expert advice, but let YOU be the star of your own show. Sending good vibes for today!

    And about the email: no worries, you get around to it any old time you can.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.