Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Burning down the house, the Swiss way.

The Swiss are not very into smoke detectors. They’re not required in residential buildings, and most rental property management companies don’t install them voluntarily. Thus Gilles and I, like a lot of others here, live without.

Well, that’s not quite exact. When, upon first arriving here two years ago, I discovered that our flat was bereft of such objects, I set out on a mission to find one (not so easy when there isn’t a Target around for miles … thousands of miles). I succeeded. It’s still in its box, in a drawer in the kitchen.

Smoke detectors seems like a basic necessity, and their general lack in a country so efficient, organized, and health- and safety-conscious is puzzling to me, even when factoring in the age of many of the buildings (there are detectors readily available that don't require any wiring or retro-fitting at all) or the materials with which they're generally constructed (bricks, stones, and cement – but other household objects are burnable and can create danger).

I also think it shows a lack of patriotism. After all, it was thanks to the poison gas experiments of a Swiss physicist that the path for the creation of the modern smoke detector was paved.
in its box, in a drawer ... next to the US-imported Cling Wrap! 

4 comments:

  1. In every flat I've ever had, whenever there was a smoke detector...I disabled it. I thought everyone got annoyed at how they shreek with each piece of toast produced - or is it just me?

    But I'm curious - why import the cling film? Is the Swiss stuff not up to scratch or don't they use it?

    I love these little observations about life in a new country. It sure helps one to keep a sense of humour, right?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. The over-sensitive ones can be so annoying that they should not be allowed to live.

      There is cling film here, but it sticks to nothing but itself. The American brand-name stuff is well worth the space in the suitcase!

      Delete
  2. Those Swiss...living life on the edge! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.