I'd like to say that I finished having them around the same time I grew out of toddler-sized clothing, but that wouldn't be true. If the five stages of grief can be applied to coping after miscarriage, well, then I'm in the angry stage. The anger used to be steady and constant, always present but kept just below the surface, but lately it's become more of a rage that is buried deep but that bubbles up ferociously from time to time. Like on Tuesday.
It was one of those days where one straw adds to another until the camel's back finally gives way. I came home late, short-tempered and snappy, and took it out on Gilles, who gave me the response I merited (which, with the sweetheart I'm astonishingly lucky to have, was not an equal amount of short-tempered snappiness in return but rather a gentle reminder to be kind to somebody who has done nothing to deserve less). I flounced away and went into the bathroom and saw this month's CBEFM sticks lined up on the floor, all carefully ordered and marked with date and time, all showing the exact same single line day after day.
How pathetic, this row of sticks. How stupid to write the date on them when they all look exactly the same and all show exactly nothing. I shouldn't even be using them. I shouldn't be having cycles. I should be halfway through what we thought we were starting in December.
At those thoughts, I lost it. I screamed some choice words at the sticks, swooped down and picked them up, all together, snapped them in two, and threw them across the bathroom. I stopped myself before doing the same to the monitor, knowing even in my fury that I would really regret it afterwards. But how I would have loved to have seen it as smashed open as I sometimes feel that I am.
Like a storm that rains itself to an eventual end, my rage was extinguished by the furious tears still leaking from my eyes even as I dropped into sleep. Yesterday's stick was different, and today's is too; two stripes instead of one, accompanied by the peak symbol so nice to see on the little screen after a week of don't bother.
This could be the time. The idea – the hope (I too do have some) – brought me so much peace that I even restrained my usual glower and instead found a smile for a woman who crossed my path today while cradling a newly arrived little one, all bundled up and cozy and calm in a crisp white blanket.
It's that kind of out-of-character behavior, rather than the tantrums, that I really should do something about – and soon, before I commit a deed even more bizarre, like nodding cheerily at a pregnant lady. Now that would be just crazy!
Heaven's no! Smiling at a pregnant lady? Now we're talking crazy. ;-) I LOVE the photo of the little guy banging those pots and pans! I bet that's actually quite the release...I'll try it and let you know how it goes.
ReplyDeleteIt looks like it, doesn't it? Now that I have no more sticks to break, I might have to turn to pots and pans myself! You and I can compare notes.
DeleteJust found your blog after you commented on mine--I feel like we are on the same path (at least from just reading this entry). I too miscarried in December and I'm about to start those darn sticks next week, and I know I'm going to feel as you did. I'm excited to be keeping up with your journey.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to be following yours too, and am wishing you all the luck in the world - with a little help from the trusty CBEFM. Despite its dictatorial tendencies, it's actually a good companion ... most of the time.
DeleteI'm sorry you had a rough day. Your comment about smiling at a pregnant lady made me laugh! Too funny!
ReplyDeleteYou can laugh all you want now, but let's just hope the crazy doesn't actually go that far!
DeleteBut don't those temper tantrums make you feel better afterwards? Or is that just me? :)
ReplyDeleteNoooo, not just you at all! Even when I saw the sticks all sad and broken in the trash can the next day, I still felt a little bit better. What a brat!
DeleteI've had those temper tantrums. I broke the trash can. Felt SO much better afterwards! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt does help, doesn't it?! Nothing like acting as a two-year-old for a few minutes to really get those emotions out!
Delete