Friday, April 13, 2012

My five Frenglish fashion faves.

In honor of finding out that I passed that foreign language certificate exam (woohoo!), I thought I'd present to you my favorite English words that have transferred over to French, albeit in a slightly different form or as a different part of speech. IFor that, they sound funny to an English speaker's ear, especially when put back into an English phrase, like I've done here.

(Disclaimer: All examples are translations from fashion critique captions in trashy French gossip mags. None of these words was used during the exam.)

- un brushing = a blowout. "We've admired the brushing of the elegant Kate Middleton for months!"

- un legging = leggings. "She dresses simply in a legging, a blazer, and a scarf for a touch of color."

- un slim = skinny jeans. "This slim pairs nicely with the colors and textures of this T-shirt." (Oh, and jeans of the non-skinny variety? That would be un jean. Singular, like un legging. Where's the rest?)


- des baskets = exercise-style shoes. "In true high-low style, she mixed her big-name sunglasses with a pair of baskets."

- un body = a bodysuit-type top for a woman, or a onesie for a baby. "The body provides a touch of femininity, in contrast to the masculine-styled cardigan."

7 comments:

  1. LOL...love it! I'm Korea-obsessed and also smile at some of different referenced used. :) P.S. Totally thought of you today, because I picked up some....um...feminine products and saw those moisture drop thingies on the packaging! Ha! First time I ever saw those was here and thought it was a Swiss thing...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! Packaging tricks have advanced internationally, it seems. But was the drop scale as precise as it is here?

      Delete
  2. lol. I wish I had been able to keep up my French skills, but alas though I come from a bilingual nation (Canada), the west coast just doesn't need it much. I would have been better off to learn Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi or Japanese. :P

    That being said, the French I do know is a mix of Parisienne and Quebecois. Not even sure how all that mess would work with Swiss French, lol. Poutine anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take one poutine - I'm in Ottawa!

      Delete
    2. Hmm ... it probably wouldn't work too well. The Parisiens talk too fast and the Quebecois talk too funny to be understood here!

      I had never heard of poutine, but after a little googling, I am convinced I need to try it. Even if it requires a trip to Canada, I will try it!

      Delete
  3. Felicitations Elizabeth! Love these sayings - I might have use a few of them!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.