This post is inspired by two other posts that I recently read. Two weeks ago, Sunshine reflected on her past use of birth control pills and their effect on her body, and, at the end, questioned whether it really should be considered safe, or desirable, for women to intentionally influence their endocrine systems in such a way. A week afterwards, Maria wrote about the advice she would give to sixteen-year-old girls, urging them to be proactive in preserving their future fertility.
I have been mulling over my own past usage of the pill, too, as I try to put together all the pieces in my puzzle, which, I think, can't but be affected at least in part by my own negative pill experiences. I took two different kinds throughout my twenties, each causing strange and unbalanced happenings in my body. And contrary to Maria's advice, which I wish I could apply retroactively, I just carelessly brushed aside these strange happenings and went on with my life.
***
I first went on the pill at the age of twenty with little forethought or concern. I was in my first grown-up long-term relationship and saw pill-taking as just what a stably coupled woman does to prevent the creation of one of those pesky little things known as babies.
I stopped taking it a few years later. There was a mix-up with the prescription refill, and I didn't get the new cycle of pills in time. "Wait for your next period and then start them again," the doctor told me. So I waited ... and waited ... and waited. The relationship had ended before my period came. Was I worried about this post-pill amenorrhea? Not really. Any babies I might want to have were far away in the future, thus the state of my reproductive system was far from being a concern – and it was just so convenient not to have my period.
Next serious boyfriend, next pill-popping stint. I was in my mid-twenties. Spoiled by the convenience of post-pill amenorrhea, this time I chose a medication that promised to repress my period for three months at a time. Sounds great, right? "Some women experience light spotting and breakthrough bleeding during the first few months of use," the pamphlet threatened. That's a gross under-estimation of what I experienced – and not just for the first few months, but for months and months and even more months, because the longer you wait for something that doesn't happen, the longer you feel like you have to keep waiting.
"No period for three months? More like a period of three months!" my boyfriend and I used to joke. So funny!
After a while, I stopped taking that pill, too. He and I were out for a run. I felt something on my leg and looked down. Blood. Which trickled and then began pouring from me. He left me huddled on the sidewalk, hiding between two parked cars, staining the cement, and ran home to get our own car and some towels.
For an hour or two, I lost blood, profusely, and tissue, too. Could it be a miscarriage, he wondered? Should I take a pregnancy test, he suggested? Displaying a profound ignorance of the chemistry behind positive versus negative results, I told him that it was too late for that, that even if I had somehow been pregnant, I could no longer be considering what had just came out of me. He convinced me to do it anyway. Negative.
So what had happened, then? Did I go to the doctor to talk about it? No. I was busy; there was life to be lived and I didn't have time to waste in a waiting room. Anyway, whatever. A baby was still not in the immediate future, and if there were anything to worry about, I could do just that – worry – when the time was right.
In any case, though, I had swallowed my last pill. I couldn't risk another public humiliation like that one, and the three-month-long periods were getting really tiring.
Like the last time I had stopped taking birth control pills, I didn't get a period for ages. When one finally arrived, months passed before the next one. And again, more months passed before the one after that. "What's wrong with you?" my boyfriend would laugh. "I don't know, what's wrong with me?" I would laugh in return. So funny, again!
I began to think that perhaps I should stay away from artificial reproductive hormones for a while and ended up getting an IUD, the non-hormonal copper kind, which was a perfect companion for the rest of my baby-preventing days. Eventually, and for the first time since I was a teenager, my body began to regulate itself into fairly regular cycles, or what seems like in retrospect, given that I never really tracked them until I started thinking about having a baby.
***
So, at the end of all this, what? Even if my cycles seem well and truly normal now (well, except for this, which I think was due to temporarily stopping my thyroid medication, thanks to an obstinate doctor who wouldn't renew my prescription), what kind of effect did these years of negative pill reactions have on my endocrine system and my reproductive health?
And why didn't I ask more about my body's strange reactions to the pill? Why did I just tell myself that these things work themselves out, and if they don't, that I could worry about them later? I don't know. I have no excuses. I'm educated, I have good access to good medical care, I have the capacity and the ability to ask questions and to find out more. It's shameful to think of how ignorant I made myself about my own health and how I left to the future answers I should have found out at the time.
Even if I'd asked more, found out more, known more, perhaps there was nothing I could have done and nothing that could have been changed. But having the knowledge is the first step, and we all deserve to have that about our bodies. Equally, we have the obligation to seek it – a lesson I recently learned the hard way. That's what I'm having a hard time forgiving myself for.
Finally, I wonder if girls and women really think about – really realize – how the pill functions, changing a body's natural hormonal state by adding artificial hormones and preventing the release of natural ones? It seems obvious, and thus perhaps it sounds condescending to wonder – but I wonder because I never really thought much deeper than if I take this pill, I won't get pregnant. I never focused on how or why.
I appreciate the social and cultural advances that can be attributed to the introduction of the pill, as well as its use in treating certain medical conditions. I'm not making any conclusions, which I wouldn't be able to back up scientifically in any case. I don't have any answers. What I do have, though, given what happened to me on the pill, is a bad feeling that lingers. A bad feeling that perhaps those negative effects are themselves still lingering. If I could go back and redo my life, I would not again choose to take it.
Those of you with enough endurance to read this far, what do you think about the pill? Did you have any strange experiences during or after taking it? Do you share my worries that perhaps it had a negative long-term impact on your body's natural equilibrium?
I took two different pills between the ages of 19 and 22. One gave me the runs every time I got to the week break so I ditched it after a few months. The other caused me to suffer from depression for about two years. I was even put on anti-depressants, no one thought to try taking me of the pill. In the end, after a relationship ended, I decided to give my body a break (never liking the idea of messing with nature/hormones much) and came off the pill. A month or so later I ran out of anti-depressant and to my surprise I was fine. I have never taken a pill since and don't intend to. For Kitt and I, having always used condoms, out first night as a married couple was so exciting. It was the first time unprotected and that was just so lovely, exciting and thrilling and filled with potential (I just wish it had worked!!)
ReplyDeleteI was on the pill, and later the Nuva-Ring, almost non-stop from age 14 until age 29. I started because I was having long, heavy periods that would make me feel so ill that I occasionally was missing school. I never had any negative side effects in all those years. In fact, it had a really great side effect of eliminating my acne. The couple of times when I took a break from the pill my skin got awful, including the most recent 2 1/2 years while I was trying to conceive. (I'm 32 years old.)I honestly would have taken the pill all those years for that reason alone. And now due to family medical history my doctors are eager for me to start taking it again. My cycles stayed regular whenever I came off the pill. So, until I wanted to get pregnant I never suspected the pill of being anything but wonderful. And I loved the Nuva-Ring even more because it was so damn convenient.
ReplyDeleteWow this is a great post. Thanks for so much openness and honesty. Your experience sounds awful and familiar. It's too bad that when we aren't trying to reproduce we don't take much interest in our reproductive system. In fact, most of us find it a nuisance and suppressing it seems ideal, until we want it. Please don't blame yourself for not asking enough questions. I think a lot of why we do this is because we trust our doctors, and we trust our doctors because we want to believe because of all the convenience. We even ignore all the inconvenience because of the imagined convenience. I think your wondering is important and not condescending at all, I and every woman I know on birth control, thought/think the exact same thing as you. Take a pill once a day, no worries, simple enough! It is so common place that no one even thinks to question it, not even doctors. It has become part of our nature, like get in car - put on seat belt, start menstruating and having sex - take birth control. We have generations of women to thank for all the power and freedom that women now have, hopefully the next generation can thank us for body awareness and self reproductive health advocacy. Thanks for reading my post and I know you will inspire many more! I'm off to read Maria's post now! Have a beautiful day.
ReplyDeleteThe pill has a long and sordid history. It was a huge achievement for women and really assisted in our ability to time pregnancy and childbirth and to pursue other endeavors, such as our careers. In fact, this was such a big deal that women didn't have the "right" to access birth control until Griswold v. Connecticut in 1963 - and that was only for the married ladies. It was such an achievement that no one really talks about how early iterations of the pill were really horrible for women's health. Pharmaceutical companies have refined the pill in its many iterations, but I feel as if they really only got to "good enough". I don't know any women out there that had a great experience on the pill. Some consider it a necessary evil. Me? I thought I was an angry person for almost ten years until I stopped and I woke up one day and I wasn't angry. Further, I think you are right in that many doctors, trained professional that we are supposed to trust, gloss over our "hysteria" concerning our "female issues" and attempt to throw an inappropriate drug our way as a quick band-aid. These band-aids don't address the problems and only serve to minimize our physical and emotional experiences. I hate the pill and have a giant sense of mistrust for Western medicine - especially in regards to women's health. This was a great post. Thanks for bringing up the topic.
ReplyDeletewhen i stopped taking the pill, i felt like i was finally taking control back of my body. i felt and recognized things that never before had i noticed. if i had a daughter i would discourage the use of chemically based birth control options that you have to ingest. the fuck with your body and mind. so many of my female friends feel the same way.
ReplyDeletegreat post!
What an excellent post! I'm so sorry that you had to experience all of that. We all tend to ignore big things like that, because if we acknowledge it with a doctor's appointment, for example, it's more real. Yikes. And when dealing with IF, it's sooooo easy to blame one's self. So not only do we deal with the pain of IF, we add to it by blaming ourselves. Man! We are so mean! ;)
ReplyDeleteSo, my experience with the pill was quite the opposite. When not on the pill I had heavy, painful periods. When on the pill, I had a period 2 or 3 times a year. So, naturally, I stayed on it for 10 years. Ugh. I blamed myself for this for*ever*. Something was obviously wrong back then, and I used the pill to make it not real. Education is awesome, though...so spreading this around will hopefully reach eyes that need to read it right now. :)
I, too, have wondered how the pill that I took for more than 5 years affected my fertility. My periods were regular (albeit so very painful) from the time they started until I went on that pill. And they've never been the same once I stopped. I wish I'd stopped to consider the possibility that they could affect me long term. I would never have taken them. I don't think many medical professional ever stop to research either that these pills may have longterm affects for their patients.
ReplyDeleteGreat post. Thanks for helping me feel like it's "not just me".
Happy ICLW! (#39)
Here from ICLW- I took the pill from age 17 to age 32. Didn't think about how it could affect my fertility later in life because all of my friends that had kids in their 20s were pregnant literally one month after getting off the pill.
ReplyDeleteI didn't have many side effects. A regular period, not very moody, etc. But for a couple months I took a generic brand because I it was cheaper and I was in law school- and I went CRAZY. I was angry and psycho and thank goodness I figured out that it was the pills.
Here from Mel's Blog Round-up. I was put on BCPs at age 14 because my doctors just couldn't figure out why my body was hell-bent on bleeding to death from my uterus. After figuring out it was nothing "serious" like cancer, they put me on hormones, I stopped dying and they said "aha!". Since we had stopped the problem symptom, there was no need to find out why I had bled so much. Fast forward 12 years and I was diagnosed PCOS. If its possible, I would like to never *ever* go back on BCPs for the rest of my life. My natural hormones are screwy enough without the pill "masking" everything. Thank you for this thoughtful post.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with this post. I'm an educated, informed woman -- who knew astonishingly little about the how/why of the hormonal birth control pills I used or how they affected my cycles. I'd do it entirely different if I could go back to my 18 year old self, for sure.
ReplyDelete