So yes, the visit went surprisingly well. I say “surprisingly” because the sad, horrible truth is that as much as I wanted my parents here, I also just wanted to be alone. I’ve been in a generally pretty miserable state lately. I can hold it together when I have to, but I didn’t want to have to all day, every day, in the continued presence of others in the space where I’d like to be free to just let all the sorrow and rage escape. (That I do not want to share this pain with my family – have not – will not – is not a reflection on them but on myself.)
***
The day before their arrival was marked by a continued deep anger about the thyroid issue (more on that later), concern about what exactly my worrisomely light periods might be trying to tell me (more on that later too), and petty irritations that I was in no condition to bear. After having been out in the afternoon, I walked towards home, crying, of course, under a steady downpour and in a wind strong enough to make my ears hurt. I stopped in a park near our building and sat on a rain-soaked bench, trying to pull it together before entering our flat, until my frozen hands and wet ass would allow no further attempt.
(Why would I bother trying, one might wonder? Because: “You don’t seem as upset as me about this,” I had told Gilles a while ago with a flagrant disregard for the different styles in which people grieve. “I am – but I don’t like to bring my sadness here,” he told me. “I put it aside to think about it when I’m walking to or from the office. And then when I’m here, I just want to enjoy being happy with you.” A little unintended knife in the heart to the girl who dumps her sorrows on him the minute he – or she – walks through the door.)
Anyway, all the trying was to no avail. I came in a mess, and it was an hour before Gilles had brought me down enough that I could get out of bed and make dinner.
After eating, I listened to the message my dad had left earlier and returned his call. He’d already been traveling in Europe and was headed to an airport hotel to wait for the next morning’s puddle-jump to Switzerland. We chatted for a while and laughed in anticipation of the upcoming week’s antics. I started to think it might be okay after all. One step forward. And then right before we said goodbye, he asked if I’d received any emails with baby pictures from my sister. Apparently, she texts them to him on a daily basis, and since he’d been abroad, he’d been missing them.
“Nooo,” I said with all the disdain and disapproval I could muster before slamming down the phone and exploding into sobs, yet again. “I haven’t.”
Two steps back.
***
But then they arrived, with hugs and smiles and happy tears in the middle of the airport, pulling suitcases full of so many goodies, so many little tastes of home, that I couldn’t but start smiling too. And I didn’t stop all week, other than during a few middle-of-the-night insomniac meltdowns to which only Gilles was privy, and other than this morning, when hello, welcome turned to goodbye.
***
Smiles, tears, steps forward, steps back, and all the time, I tell myself to hold on to these moments as they pass.
And they pass.
![]() |
| borrowed ethically from source |

Just thinking of you sitting in the rain crying makes me want to cry with you, and then bring you in for some hot cocoa. Hang in there, they do pass, but not without heartache.
ReplyDeleteAh, that would have been much appreciated - the hot cocoa and the sweet sentiment! Thank you for the thought.
DeleteI've missed your blog! I went back to one of the posts you linked in this current post, the one where your sister had her baby. How hard that must be. My sister in law is 4 months pregnant right now (by "accident")...I would've been 6+ months pregnant had I not lost the baby in December. It's so, so tough to go through this. As much as I love her, a little part of me is so hurt every time I see her. I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it. I have good days and bad days and often think to myself that I should be better by now, but I'm not. I hope that THIS day is better for you.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Jeanna - these last few days have been better. Something about the after-effect of delightful family time, I think. I totally empathize with you about your sister-in-law, and don't put too much pressure on yourself to be better by now, or by any certain date - I've heard that recovering from pregnancy loss is a continuous process that never really truly ends (gulp). I hope that this day is better for you too! (Avocados can help with that.)
DeleteHugs.
ReplyDeleteMuch appreciated, thanks!
DeleteGlad to have you back and glad to hear that there were smiles and happy tears. I completely hear you on the steps forward and the steps back. I definitely feel like I'm having one of those weeks right now. Looking forward to hearing some more updates! Have a nice evening Elizabeth :)
ReplyDeleteAs long as the general direction is forward, that's all that counts, right? I hope your steps in the right direction are outweighing those backwards, even during one of those weeks.
DeleteGlad to thear that you had some good days with your family. Looking forward to read more updates on your blog. Hopefully with lots of steps forward and little steps back.
ReplyDeleteBefore I forget, thanks for checking in on me. Love your comments. :)
It's my pleasure (checking on you)! Thanks for being here too.
DeleteI'm glad you had a nice time with your parents. I know how you feel about not wanting to bombard your husband with sadness. But if you can't be sad with him, who can you be sad with? I hope more smiles are on their way!
ReplyDeleteIt's true - and I didn't mean to imply (if I did) that he wouldn't be there, willingly and steadily, through any and all bombardments. I was just trying to give him a night off!
DeleteI'm glad you were able to enjoy the time with your family! I understand about life being sort of up-and-down. I ended my last blog on a positive note, but truthfully I sobbed like a baby (again) when I finally had a moment to myself on Sunday. Partially because of infertility and partially because my dad's selfishness drives me crazy and I think we had too much togetherness time this weekend. Glad to have you back - and thank you for checking in on my blog! I look forward to hearing about how you're progressing. I know it's been difficult lately but I hope the next few weeks will hold many steps forward for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that the positive note was followed by such sadness - but it's such a rollercoaster ride that those ups and downs are just par for the course, aren't they? Even if you may have had a bit too much family time this weekend, I always think that memories made will carry through and bring future happiness despite the sometime weariness of actually creating them - I hope it's that way for you too!
Delete