Friday, June 08, 2012

What to do after telling who really not to tell?

Beginning this weekend, my younger, [recently no-longer-]single, party-girl friend will be here, paying her visit to me and to my empty womb that, as she doesn't hesitate to point out, poses no risk of ruining a fun-loving girls' night out. (And to my darling husband, too, of course.)

I can't decide if I will spitefully abstain from alcohol as vengeance for her comment or if I will need a good stiff drink to extinguish my still-simmering resentment about it.

My final choice (and a whole lot more!): on your screen sometime next week.

let no pesky fetus come between me and her and a good party.

8 comments:

  1. How very sensitive of her. Hope it was just a bit of verbal diarrhoea and you have a great time when she gets there. Whatever you decide to do.
    She may well go into shock at the price of a glass of wine in Switzerland and give up on the plan of getting pissed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh geeze. If only she really knew. I think the problem is that people who have never gone through this type of a situation just don't get it. I have found that only my friends who have suffered through infertility and loss really get how am feeling and know how to talk to me about certain things. I say if you feel like having a drink then do it. If not then don't. I have some single party-girl friends who have said similar things to me. I don't think they have meant any harm, but they should learn to sometimes just zip it. :o) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would definitely be tempting to not drink at all. But I do agree with D. A lot of people don't mean it, and they're even trying to be helpful. I try to cut them some slack unless they're really inexcusable. She could've done much better by rephrasing that as "we can go out to drink to cheer you up" or something. My worst was my pregnant-on-the-first-try friend who asked if I'd be willing to do the phone tree when her son was born - you know, she'd call me and I'd call all our other friends. Then after he was born, she came right up to me, held him out, and said "do you want to hold the baby?" Um, no, I didn't. But anyway, I hope your visit has some redeeming qualities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope that was a one-time slip and that the two of you have a fabulous time during her visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know what I think? I think you should go out, let your hair down, have drinkies with your friend and pretend to be as carefree as she seems to be. Maybe you can fool yourself for an evening too. I managed to fool myself for almost the whole holiday that I had not a care in the world and it was quite liberating. Don't let the IF monster ruin your fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tend to agree with EmHart. If you abstain from drinking to spite your friend you probably will just end up having a shitty time. Reminds me of a favorite quote: “Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies.” (Nelson Mandela) But you should decide ahead of time what you will say if she makes a comment like that again. Make sure she knows it is hurtful and inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She musta been DRUUUNK when she said that! Seriously girl might have a problem. I'm kidding. Outsiders just really don't get it. I hope you have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I vote for party exceedingly. And plan a good, snappy, biting slap-down answer just in case her head hasn't quite made it back out of her bottom yet and she lets another such 'gem' fall out of her cake-hole. If she says nothing hurtful, you'll be partying! Hurrah! And if (and I hope she doesn't) she does say something unfortunate, you can answer it AND have a much-needed drink. Win-win.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.