Friday, June 01, 2012

Schoolgirl fantasy, fulfilled.

No, it doesn't involve him. Not this time. (And yes – disproving the logic on which ill-advised, ill-received "Well, you’re still young, you can just try again!" encouragement is based – I realize I'm clearly outing myself as a rather old lady in revealing that I believe him to be the stuff of schoolgirl fantasies.)

(As an aside, and to explain the "not this time": one of the loveliest surprise hugs I have ever received was from him himself. Back in the day, after he'd segued from playing child genius to playing independent filmmaker and after I'd segued from playing schoolgirl to playing college girl, but before he came out and before I became a demure little wife with eyes only for her much-beloved husband, a friend and I scraped together enough cash to snag two back-row tickets for Rent but not enough for parking at the downtown big-city theater where it was playing. So another friend kindly offered to drive us there and back. She dropped us off behind the theater, telling us to return to that same place for the eventual pickup. Little did we know that this randomly chosen spot was in fact right by the backstage exit – at least, not until we were there, waiting for our chauffeur, and him himself opened a door and sauntered out. "Oh my god, I used to be the biggest Doogie Howser fan!" I blurted out before I could stop myself. He smiled, and opened his arms. "Come here!" he whispered sultrily. Okay, it wasn't a whisper, and it wasn't sultry, but he did indeed say it, and I did indeed do it. Schoolgirl fantasy the first, fulfilled.)

(As another aside, I'd poke fun at the genderedness of the French language by designating the friend on drop-off/pick-up duty as a chauffeuse rather than a chauffeur, except that I once used chauffeuse in explaining that I do not drive in Switzerland and quickly learned that the word does not apply to a female driver but rather to a female who does not, um, follow up on what she seems to be promising. It might help you to figure out what if you know that the related verb chauffer means "to heat" – literally as well as figuratively, apparently.)

Back to the (other) fantasy. As part of my keep-myself-out-of-trouble-and-better-my-personhood-at-the-same-time program, and also to have a snappy response to this particularly grating question, I've been auditing some university classes. The learning part of the semester ends today, and the next few weeks are allocated to final examinations. As an auditor, though, I have no concern about finals, and every time they're mentioned, I take great pleasure in ignoring everything that is said.

The other day I arrived for the last scheduled cognitive psychology class only to find the auditorium doors firmly closed and the few hundred students milling around outside, some chatting, but most engrossed in their notes. It all looked a bit ... suspicious. Like perhaps this was not just a normal class. Like perhaps a test might be on the agenda. Like perhaps I should have listened a little bit to some test-related discussion.

The doors opened after fifteen minutes and I let myself get swept into the auditorium along with the group. Sure enough, each seat was covered with a face-down bundle of papers, and instructions on the projector screen directed us to sit without looking at the test. This was not the place for me to be, then.

I moved aside and let the remaining students enter before walking back out and setting my bag on a table in the hallway to rummage for my headphones. The teaching assistant, who'd seen me leave, came out to close the door and gestured at me to come back inside. I shook my head. He gave me a puzzled raised-eyebrow look, tapped his watch, and pointed, pointedly, into the auditorium. I shook my head again, smiling meekly. One more bemused glance and he was gone, the door shutting behind him, his shrug, and several hundred test-taking students.

I grinned and walked home.

16 comments:

  1. I love the story of you hugging "him." Your asides are so funny--I really enjoyed reading this.

    I hope your wait to ovulate isn't to grueling and that you are not too crazy. I think I've thrown rationality out the window at this point. I'm back to sign spotting unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it :)

      CBEFM tells me it's time for action ... the wait is over! As for you, type faster, type faster!

      Delete
  2. What a great story! I also had a huge crush on Doogie Howser, M.D. I'm humming the theme song now :)

    What a great feeling to, for once, ignore all final exams! I love to hear the tales of woe from the college students that work for me about exams. "I'm soooo stressed out! These teachers think there's is the only class I'm taking..." Ahhh, to be back in those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet another Doogie fan :) I just watched the opening credits on Youtube to remind me of the song - so early 90s!

      Poor deluded college kids ... well, they'll know soon enough that there are way more stressful things in life than exams. But I remember that feeling!

      Delete
  3. Just thinking about final exams and I am sweating. And I have been out of college for 9 years now! Being able to walk away has got to be one of the best feelings! I might audit something just to find out. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it half-crossed my mind to start taking the exam and then walk out after fifteen minutes ... that would have been an even better feeling! Sorry to make you sweat ;)

      Delete
  4. When I finished my comprehensive exams for my degree I thought, "Yes! I will never have to take an exam again!" And then I moved to California and had to take the written exam for the driver's license. I barely squeaked by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take the California written exam too - I passed without a single mistake (don't ask how, it must have been the remedial learner's version), and the woman correcting it was so astonished that I thought she was going to make an announcement to the entire room. It made up for failing the written exam the first time around and having to be driven by my parents to my 16th birthday celebration.

      Delete
  5. I love Rent and NPH! I've got a warm, fuzzy feeling just reading about your close encounter with him. And to walk away from a final exam - what bliss! I'm with Sunshine, I just may have to audit a class so I can tap into that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been listening to the Rent soundtrack over and over since writing this post. I actually went to see it as part of an alternative-English literature course and wrote a paper on it - that would be funny to read today. And yes, as for the class, go for it!

      Delete
  6. You make me smile! I'm just a teensy bit jealous of that hug, and definitely wishing I had something comparable to a final exam that I could walk out on. Seems like I need something like that right about now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it was such a small and silly thing, but it brought me an immense gleeful pleasure. I hope you find something just as small and silly but with just as much an impact.

      Delete
  7. What a great story! Your tales always bring a smile to my face. You are such an incredible writer. Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so thankful that Finnish is genderless. Although, it sure does make for some fun conversations with Finns in English when they mix up he and she. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny! I love when French speakers (or speakers of other gendered languages) call an inanimate object he or she, as it is in their language. There is something so cute about it, and I can't help but smile when I hear that the bed needs "his" sheets, or whatever.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.