The particular part of the lake where we were staying, with its grassy park, warm shallow cove, and line of ice cream concession stands, was "perfect for families" – or so an otherwise emotionally astute husband might remark if he (mistakenly) didn't imagine that such an observation would cause his childless menstruating miscarrier of a wife to burst into tears that salted the gentle waters with bitterness. Despite that, it was also perfect for said childless menstruating miscarrying wife in that it had a bar teeming with late-night dancing and loud music and all the palinka she could care to enjoy. So. There are benefits.
And lest you think I am forgetting what made the location perfect for the male half of this barren heirless equation, well, it was by kind coincidence that the same beachfront bar just happened to be hosting the local Miss Something-or-other beauty contest, replete with swimwear, evening gown, and streetwalking costume changes as well as a token short interview. Which added no value to the judging, according to our section of the audience. All nubile young goddesses speaking Hungarian while clad in only the bare minimum appear equally ... intelligent.
| unfortunately, we didn't have the camera with us during the beauty contest. but the lake is equally lovely, surely. |
Such lovely scenery which could only be made better with a small child in tow...sigh. I felt this way too, when my husband I went to the beach this weekend. So many families, teenagers, babies, pregnant women, and then us. We were one of the only couples with no kids or no kids on the way. Luckily I had big sunglasses on to conceal the tears. Hang in there girl, one day we will be one of those cute families.
ReplyDeleteUs too (one of the only kidless couples) and me too (big sunglasses). Yes, one day ....
DeleteThat sounds like a very lovely weekend, even with the odd pang of sadness. I am glad you had a distraction from crappy periods. Your description makes me want to go there, with or without a family in tow.
ReplyDeleteWell, there isn't a beauty contest every weekend, you know ... or was it the other parts of the description that made it sound so attractive? ;)
DeleteSorry about your period....sigh Damn thing just keeps coming when we don't want it too! But glad to hear you had a lovely time in Hungary! I'm going to Budapest on a couple of weeks with some girlfriends :)
ReplyDeleteAh, nice! Budapest is awesome - one of my favorite European cities. You'll have so much fun with your girlfriends.
DeleteYour weekend sounds lovely, especially the drinking and dancing. Damn AF :( and pee sticks :( In other news, DH and I have a possibility of being relocated to Finland this coming year. I may be picking your ex-pat brain :)
ReplyDeleteOooh ... we'd be neighbors! (Kind of.) Keep me posted on this exciting news!
DeleteLooks like we both were blessed with the company of good friends over the weekend. :) I'm sorry you had icky IF reminders pop up, but am happy that you found many other ways to keep yourself occupied.
ReplyDeleteYes, blessed indeed!
DeleteBeautiful photo. I'm glad you had a pick me up so lovely. Did your favorite beauty win the contest?
ReplyDeleteNo, the guys called it better than I did. But my girl was second runner-up; not too shabby.
DeleteSounds like a cool trip. Sorry about AF.
ReplyDeleteIt was, thanks.
DeleteGlad you could get away. Looks lovely!
ReplyDeleteIt was! A pretty little corner of the world.
DeleteWhat a lovely trip. It sounds like you had a few good distractions to help keep your mind off your period. Or at least out-weigh the not-so-subtle reminders that are bound to pop up.
ReplyDeleteIt's all about the outweighing.
DeleteI'm sorry about AF. But glad to read that you had a fun weekend!
ReplyDelete:)
Delete