Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Another sigh of relief.

It's still there.

[Heave another another sigh of relief.]

It's still there, and growing nicely, measuring a few days ahead and thus already showing a family resemblance; whether to its tall sporty parents or to its corpulent kitty sibling remains to be seen.

It moved its arms and waved at us a little bit. "Sometimes they are very active, turning somersaults and jumping around," the doctor told us, "but we won't wake this one up." But why not? It can sleep the rest of the day away, after all – "Wake it up!" I immediately urged ... silently. To no avail, but that's okay; the waving is cute enough for now.

It was standing on its massive head, smaller body floating above, making its ultrasound image look for all the world like that of a two-balled snowman wearing a little knit cap. (See?)

Its heart was beating nicely. We saw it, we heard it, and we measured it: soundly in the 160s. I was happy to find out the number, especially since I'd been a bit worried about not knowing what it was at the last appointment.

(Why didn't we know? Can you believe I forgot to ask – me, the one who goes to appointments like a lawyer goes to court, loaded down with documents and notepads and pens, all put to extremely judicious [over]use? When I called later to inquire, the nurse – without even asking who was speaking (either my terrible anglophone accent gives me away or "CRAZY!!!" pops up on their caller ID – told me that it was too early to be able to measure it but, as the doctor had said, that everything looked good. I bit back a "but everyone on the Internet knows the heartrate at seven weeks!" and then spent the time between appointments trying to stop interpreting "it's too early" as some kind of medical code for "yeah, this one's a goner." (I never said my label wasn't deserved.))

Next up: nuchal translucency scan in just over two weeks. It will be abdominal; the transvag invader has been wielded for the last time. I'll just have to remember not to start taking off my pants the minute I walk through the office door.

37 comments:

  1. Yay! great news and that u/s picture is adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, hello baby. :) This is all such great news, I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, baby!

    That's one of the cutest ultrasound pictures I've ever seen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, mama! Your babe is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, I'm so glad to hear it, Elizabeth! What fabulous news on this Halloween day. Congrats, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful news! I love the snowman angle :) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! And what a cute massive head!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful baby! So, so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! Wonderful news. So, so happy for you! Thanks for sharing the pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome awesome news!! Congrats lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wahooooo! I found myself actually sighing when I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whew, I know you are relieved! Such good good news friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a tiny, living human! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! So glad everything is okay. And your baby does look like a snowman;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on another milestone!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! The baby DOES look like a two balled snowman! Hilarious and cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah!! So happy for you!! Great news!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay, the last line made me laugh! Yay for progression and good scans!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So so glad all is going well. Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hooray, I am booking my bebe cuddles for next year right now please.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YAY for little nubbin arms waving hi!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is amazing how quickly it is growing from a blob to something more recognizable and well done for graduating from the dildo cam. Big step.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fantastic news! I'm glad you have moved on from the dildo ultrasound. Hopefully the rest of us can do the same someday soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha I love that you will have to remind your self to not drop your pants at the next check, thank goodness that that twat wand of wonder is over! I cannot WAIT to see out of that stage and the whole, "okay I'm going to pass this to you {cold and slimie} to place it in a comfortable spot..." um none of that is comfortable..... hahaha Love that, Good luck in 2 weeks with the next US!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Adorable little nugget!

    And yay for no more appointments with the vag cam!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I missed so much because of the hurricane and work this week. I am SOOO happy for you, girl! Your baby is already so adorable! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, baby. And hooray for no more transvag invader!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adorable baby! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all so much for your beautiful words that warm my heart! Other than the docs, you girls are the only ones in the world who know about this tiny little creature, and your support of us means the world to me.

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.