What should you know about my dear husband? Well, what do you already know? Let's see ....
- That the side of his head is extraordinarily handsome.
- That the ladies, especially those of the bovine variety, love him.
- That he is full of hope, strength, and sweet surprises.
- That if you're going to get lost, he's the right person to do it with.
- That he has a traveling heart and a sweet, sweet tooth.
But that's not all; oh, no. There is also this:
- He has one hot body. Like, super hot. (See: cycling; see also: bounding up mountains.) And I mean that objectively as well. Getting into bed with him is like getting into bed with a roasted brick, a very big one. Even in the dead of winter, we sleep with the windows open and the covers kicked partially off. As someone who tends to run cold, I appreciate this very much. Him? Less so, especially when I warm my iceblock feet against his back.
- His principles about environmental issues, including agriculture-related ones, are very strong and deeply held. He likes to eat seasonally, locally, and directly from the farm if possible so he can be assured that the workers were treated equitably and that the produce is free of pesticides and other chemicals (hence our weekly paniers). Our first real disagreement was over a carton of early-season Spanish strawberries that I pounced on in a supermarket during my first spring in this country. To me, they were just strawberries, readily available and cheaply priced; to him, they were a symbol of unwise use of water resources, exploitation of foreign workers, and over-use of chemical products, and besides, Swiss strawberries would be available when the local season was right. Being with him has raised my consciousness of these issues, and although I can't say I always resist the temptation to buy out-of-region or out-of-season fruit and veggies, I'm certainly a much more thoughtful consumer than before.
- He has no hair. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. He would have some hair, around the sides, but he shaves it with a straight-razor to match what's on top: nothing. I love it. Just after it's razored, it's rough and stubbly; by the third day, soft little prickes are pushing through; and during the days that follow, it gradually becomes fuzzier and fuzzier and fuzzier until the time comes to bring out the razor and begin the cycle all over again. It's a constantly revolving treat of textures! Every time I hear some kind of criticism or joke about bald guys, I smile smugly to myself, sure of my little secret: that bald is best.
![]() |
| Gilles as a gingerbread. couldn't you just eat him up? |

I love getting to know people better through these posts. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteI liked that about the photo challenge, too. Glad you enjoyed :)
DeleteI see no problem with bald. In fact, more men should do it! It's very studly.
ReplyDeleteYour husband is inspiring with his locavore eating beliefs. I need to follow in his lead!
Studly indeed!
DeleteI am a supporter of locavorism, too, but I think it needs to be well-considered - in some cases, perhaps it could be better for the environment if certain produce were imported (thereby increasing transportation-related pollution) if growing it locally would take too much other resources (water, etc.). I don't think it's always so clear-cut. What is true, though, is that all we receive straight from the farm tastes absolutely amazing!
Love this!
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to do one of your own next week!
DeleteMy best friend would agree with you, she has always loved bald men best. I love that gingerbread Gilles, priceless.
ReplyDeleteHehe. You were responsible for its discovery, y'know!
DeleteSuch a great picture of Gilles! HeHe
ReplyDeleteCloudy is a hot bodied cyclist too. I call him my heat rock, I wonder if it is cycling related?
I love how he feels about local organic fruit and veggies. I feel good knowing that people are taking care of our children's planet!
It seems Cloudy and Gilles have a lot in common! I like the expression "heat rock."
DeleteHe does care a lot for the planet - it's very inspiring when it's not driving me crazy, e.g. when he turns off the wifi to save electricity and I have to wait for it to load up again before being able to use it!
My hubby is the same way with a hot body....he gets so so hot. He won't let me warm my toes on him though....:(
ReplyDeleteYou'll have to try the surprise sneak attack :)
DeleteUmm, your husband is a gingerbread man. YOUR HUSBAND IS A GINGERBREAD MAN. I lurve.
ReplyDeleteLooooooove that he's food-conscious. LOVE.
I love it too - except when I'm dying for a carton of strawberries in February and feel too guilty to enjoy them ....
DeleteI am reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle right now, so I love Gille's food consciousness. Of course, we live in the desert, which makes it a little tricker.
ReplyDeleteThat little bald gingerbread Gille is adorable!
If you knew him, you would totally laugh, because that gingerbread man is so perfectly him!
DeleteI looked up that book - sounds very interesting. I loved The Poisonwood Bible, so perhaps I should give this one a go, too.
I really loved this post. You described Gilles so clearly for those of us who don't know youse guys!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you liked it - you'll have to do one of your own one of these days!
DeleteMy Hubs is also super hot bodywise both in physique and temp! Summer in bed it's sometimes unbearable and I roll far away but in winter I am a Dax barnacle.
ReplyDeleteThat is the unfortunate downside - summers are terrible, but on the flip side, for him, that's when he finds my cold feet to be enjoyably "refreshing." Love the idea of barnacle!
Delete