Wednesday, March 21, 2012

An ICLW introduction.

Hello to my existing bloggie friends as well as to those of you popping over for International Comment Leaving WeekI’m happy you’re here. This is my first time participating in ICLW after beginning this blog in January, and I’m looking forward not only to meeting new people here but also to visiting your sites and reading your own stories. I committed to BlogHer’s NaBloPoMo this month, so if you’d like to check back in again, I can promise you a post here every day until the end of ICLW and beyond. (Well, three days beyond. Then it might be time to catch my breath.)

So, I'd love to know: who are you? Is it your first time here or have you visited before? And (since I'm in Switzerland, the land famous for both) which would you prefer, chocolate or cheese? 

Here’s a little background on me, for those who would like to catch up on the story so far. My husband Gilles and I were ecstatic to get a BFP (or more accurately, six of them) in December. I turned down a lot of glasses of champagne on the eve of the New Year we thought would be our best ever, the one during which we'd welcome our "Bébé Suisse." I took what I thought were the last pictures of my pre-baby body. Then we were told that the pregnancy was most likely not progressing. After further analysis, there was a bit of confusion about whether or not it was ectopic and whether or not it could possibly, eventually evolve. Turns out, after a week and a half of testing and probing and sitting in  waiting rooms, it wasn’t (the former) but it couldn't (the latter). The sense of betrayal I felt from the missed miscarriage was worse than the experience of the actual miscarriage

I added to my foreign language vocabulary and began facing what had happened. We managed to find black humor in our black situation and got a new mattress and celebrated one year of my expatriation in Switzerland. We tried to put the past behind us and to prepare for the future. Other people told us they were pregnant. It was hard for me. My younger sister had a baby. It was very hard for me. People said stupid things to me. Really stupid things. They also said some beautiful, lovely, touching things, some of which you can find in comments to my posts, all of which I am incredibly grateful for. 

I decided to change my last name to create a sense of family and I got my period again (and again). Which means I didn’t get pregnant again (and again). One of my posts became the number-one Google search result for “disrobing gynecologist.” I tried to be positive and life continued as it always does, although not many of those happy moments are catalogued here (perhaps it’s time for a change in perspective?). I recognized that what happened is far from being the worst thing in the world, although it is definitely among the worst in my own little world

Through it all, I leaned on my husband, who has been my rock and my true love and my best chance to survive this unscathed at the end, as I hope I am for him. Tomorrow’s post will be to honor all he is to me. 

along the trail of our first summit together, La Malinche, Mexico

18 comments:

  1. Elizabeth, I just think you are so great! I have been here before, but only in the last month or so (so I'm a relatively new reader). You always have positive and supportive comments to make on my blog (and others', too). I like cheese, but I love chocolate....and now I want some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Your sweet words made me smile. I’ll trade you some chocolate for some Girl Scout Cookies!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Seriously. Your posts always speak to me and what I am going through. I am new to the blogging world and was so happy to find someone who is going through the same things that I am. p.s. I REALLY REALLY love chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too ... which is a problem given there is an irresistible little chocolate shop just two minutes away from our flat!

      I’m glad you can find something here that speaks to you. It’s always nice to feel like there is someone else who understands, although I wish we weren’t in a position to have to find that understanding.

      Delete
  3. Elizabeth, you are such a beautiful writer. Thanks for sharing your journey. K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, so glad to come across your blog courtesy of your visit to mine! Your writing style is so engaging and I couldn't agree more with what you've said.

    As for chocolate vs. cheese... I just can't pick. I actually spent a few lovely hours once in Zurich. Beautiful place! I'm very much looking forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to go for both! Zurich is lovely – just one beautiful corner of this beautiful country.

      Thanks for coming over! I was glad to find your blog and feel a connection with your writing. And thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  5. What a fantastic post :) I'm totally a Chocolate girl, dark chocolate to be precise!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we’ll never have to fight over who gets which box then – I’m milk chocolate all the way!

      Delete
  6. Hi from ICLW. I look forward to catching up on your last couple of posts since my last visit. I prefer cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! I can't turn down a taste of cheese either.

      Delete
  7. Chocolate and cheese, come on, how am I supposed to make that call? BOTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a bit of a trick question, wasn't it? I think you've got the right answer!

      Delete
  8. Welcome to the blogosphere! This is my first time here and I'd have to say between the two I'd go with Cheese, yummy yummy cheese! Happy ICLW!

    ICLW #61

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking in! I'm looking forward to checking out your blog too. I just saw your post on white chocolate M&Ms and have to wonder how you could answer 'cheese' when you have those in front of you!

      Delete
  9. Hi from ICLW! Hope you are enjoying the time with your family this month.

    I'm pregnant at the moment so cheese and chocolate are off the table and replaced with sunflower seeds and gummy worms (I have no excuse or explaination).

    Looking forward to following along with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's a good enough reason to not be eating chocolate and cheese - and gummy worms are a close second ... well, perhaps! Congratulations, and thank you for coming over. I look forward to reading more of your blog, too.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.