I mentioned that my parents arrived with several suitcases full of American goodies, specially for me. One such goodie was a huge stack of all the magazines I subscribe to and have sent to my parents' house for stockage and eventual personal delivery or pick-up, depending on who's going where.
A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned my glee over the forthcoming arrival of these magazines to somebody who then naively inquired if they were related to my [ex-]profession. Ummm ... no. Not at all. They're devoted to how to put on makeup (I don't), how to dress (what's wrong with my not-just-for-bedtime PJs?), and how to trap a good man (already got one, despite it all), as well as to such newsworthy topics as Khloe's reproductive desires.
(Also among the goodies: some boxes of macaroni and fluorescent-orange-powdered cheese. "I didn't know you liked macaroni and cheese?" my mom wondered aloud, tentatively, when I responded to her request about what I'd like her to send. I don't, not really, but there's nothing like the absolute non-availability of something on supermarket shelves to really create a craving. Also, it's a good comfort food, and there are certainly days when I could use some good hot toxic-looking fake-cheesy comfort.)
I’m steadily working my way through the gossip mags, leaving the heavier reading, like Glamour, until later. I’m up to December 19th. That Khloe and her husband have begun fertility treatments is thus old news for most of the world, or that part of it who cares, but it’s still news to me. (Yes, one could find such information instantaneously on the Internet, but then no, one couldn't read it while pedaling lazily along on a stationary bike, and one would thus be unable to justify one's choice of how best to spend time that is as precious as it is sometimes, seemingly, interminable.)
Despite my general repulsion by all things Kard.ashian, I have to sympathize with Khloe, described rather unsympathetically as “desperate for a child.” That’s not an easy place to be in. I do roll my eyes, however, when I read things like this:
“[My mom] teaches me things I don’t want to know. She’s like, ‘X amount of days after your period, that means you ovulate,’ and I say, ‘Oh, God, please go away!’”I can understand being desperate to have a baby. But wouldn't it help to first learn some basic facts of human reproductive biology?
(PS: You know how subscription magazines often come wrapped in plastic bags? Well, in the course of discharging their honorable duty to protect our homeland security, TSA took all my magazines out of their wrappers. If only they'd removed the perfume ads, too.)

I know what you mean about not reading the gossip websites. I'm usually about 2 weeks behind on my US weekly and I WILL NOT go to their website ever. I don't want to be spoiled!!!
ReplyDeleteI know - it's like knowing in advance what's wrapped up under the Christmas tree! Horrible!
DeleteHi! New follower here! Thanks for following my blog as well. It's nice to meet you :) Oh man, the Kardashians. I also sympathize with Khloe in her need for a baby, but the stuff that comes out her her mouth-(the quote you used hits the nail on the head)ugggggh. Statements like that don't help the public to see that most of us IFers are very well educated about our bodies and are doing everything we can to have a baby.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your mags and macaroni! Mmmmm, neon mac n'cheese sounds good now...
Sorry if I gave you the craving too!
DeleteI agree that a lot of news coverage of celebrities and fertility is not helpful - it's so often inaccurate or sensationalized, and having quotes like this to report really doesn't lend to a good image.
As much as I like to see some of the so called VIP's go public with their infertility struggles I'm not sure what to think about those statements and those magazines. We just don't know what is really going through their head and what is really going on. I mean Jennifer Aniston would prob have 5 or 7 by now if everything we read is true.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy your homeland food. I always get people to bring me Balisto's (orange) from Switzerland. If you haven't tried them you def should! Mmmmmm!
Good point, and we should also remember that they are playing to their public.
DeleteI love the pink Balisto's - berry yogurt! Will have to try orange.
I guess if you have enough money, you can afford to not think and just let someone else do it all for you. Annoying!
ReplyDeleteJust seems crazy to get that far in the process and still be ignorant of something so basic. But yes, annoying!
DeleteHmmm, yes, I can't really imagine being on this journey, wanting a child and not knowing about ovulation.
ReplyDeleteAnd then sharing your ignorance before all the world. I guess it's good for magazine sales.
Deletei love those kinds of magazines, too. that's so nice of you're parents to bring you all that loot! enjoy your fake (or would it sound fancier if i said "faux"?) mac & cheese! ;)
ReplyDeleteThey are sweethearts to do it. What if we say faux macaroni and fromage - that's fancy!
DeleteUgh, I can't stand that family! How does she expect to conceive if she can't be bothered to research her illness?! If she gets pregnant before any of us I am gonna flip!
ReplyDeleteHa, I'm sure you kept those TSA agents busy with all your magazines! :)
They were totally busy - the first thing I thought when I saw what they'd done is, "Your tax dollars at work." Egads.
DeleteLet's hope Khloe actually knows about all that stuff and just doesn't want to discuss it with her mom.
ReplyDeleteAnd the TSA? Really? They are bizarre.
Hmm. That's a generous interpretation, or perhaps you're just nicer than me.
DeleteTSA are totally bizarre - they also unwrapped all the presents for others I'd sent back with my dad. That was less appreciated.
Mmm Mac and nuclear cheese. It really can be a comfort. Oh the things I take for granted. If you run out give me a shout, I'd happily ship off a couple boxes!
ReplyDeleteI just might have to take you up on that one day! (In exchange for some much more wholesome and healthful Swiss chocolate, of course.)
Deletedeal!
DeleteI used to work retail and read all the covers of those magazines (not the insides though). I remember a co-worker said to me one day that it was so sad celebrity X needs fertility treatment. I'm thinking "WTF, I'm doing fertility treatment right now, who cares about the celebrities." Least they can afford IVF.
ReplyDeleteHow can you resist the temptation of reading the insides too?! Celebrities are lucky to have the financial resources, but I don't think that makes the pain any easier to bear ...
Delete