I don't have a job.
I haven't worked in two years. Granted, it was by choice during the first of those two years, and I put in enough hours during the five preceding years so that it all balances out pretty evenly overall. But still.
It wasn't supposed to be like that. Two years ago, I took a year-long leave of absence to come to Switzerland not only to confirm my suspicions that this one was indeed the one but also to see if this country was one in which I could live happily with him. It was a good break and it brought me the answers I was seeking, namely: yes. Yes, he is; yes, I could.
Accordingly, towards the end of the leave of absence, I gave my notice and never looked back. I sold my furniture and packed my most precious or most utilitarian possessions and said a lot of difficult goodbyes and prepared my resume. I thought I'd find something fairly easily here, perhaps not my dream job, but something decent and honest. I look great on paper. I get along well with others. What could be the problem?
Without getting into the details of just exactly what could be – and is – a problem (and it's not language – there are many international organizations here where the official language is English), I'll just leave it at: after being here over a year, I still don't have a job.
Gilles and I first talked about starting a family in the autumn of the year of my leave of absence. We're not exactly young and having children was, is, more important to us than career. But we decided that when I came back to Switzerland for good, late the following winter, we'd wait a little while. I'd get a job. It'd be better that way, to get a good start in a new position in a new country – and, oh yes, there's that little thing called federally mandated paid maternity leave. Might be nice.
So I arrived here, and I began looking and didn't find much in my line of work, and I looked again and submitted some resumes and got nothing in response, and submitted some more for positions that were even less appropriate for me and got less than nothing in response. I was falling into a black hole that sucked my time and my energy and, quite honestly, my sense of self-worth. My confidence. My happiness.
Finally we decided to let go of the idea that I'd have started to work before we started to try to start a family. My self-worth was still suffering. Nobody wanted me. Nobody cared. My nine years of higher education and three university diplomas and hundred grand in student loans and five years of beyond satisfactory job performance seemed to have been for nothing.
Everything changed when I saw that positive (those positives). I would have a raison d'être beyond my own selfish desires. I would finish nine more short months of joblessness and then I'd have a little life, my life's work, before me. Gilles told me he'd never seen me so happy, and I don't think I ever had, either. Obviously my happiness was not due solely to finding a solution, of sorts, to not having a job, but my immediate release from that particular depression definitely added to the joy of having a baby.
And then everything changed again, and the black hole became infinitely more powerful than it ever had been before.
One of the good things that has come out of this whole experience is that I'm no longer depressed about not having a job. I'm depressed about not having a baby. At least that's a more worthwhile endeavor.
Hun, you and me both, these could be my thoughts. I have three degrees and I am on a course at the moment. I gave up work because it would not have gone along with pregnancy and motherhood. Now I am in limbo and it sucks so hard. Plus my career is in childcare, I don't think I could do it now even if I had the opportunity. Every day would be like torture. Hugs x
ReplyDeleteAh, you too ... sorry. It is such a terrible limbo. If I had one or the other (guess my preference!), it would be so much easier to feel like life is moving. Without either, I’m just here, standing still. And I can imagine the difficulty you would have being around children as a job – I know others here are in that position and it must be so hard.
DeleteElizabeth, I could have written this post myself. I totally hear you. Having relocated for my husband in the kind of naive assumption that I'd find something...even with my five years of grad school and a decent command of the local language, here I sit, trying to be as 'productive' (double meaning intended?) as the situation allows. I'm so sorry we're both in this situation!
ReplyDeleteAh, yes. It's true that being pregnant, all too briefly, made me think less about the otherwise trivial detail of not working. But now, after the second miscarriage, I have little to distract from the yearning to parent a living baby. Trying for a baby is a great distraction from being unemployed, but what is there to distract me from trying for a baby, when things don't, won't, can't always go the way my hopes and dreams plan for? It's a bit of a catch 22, that.
And the issue of maternity leave? After my experiences of pregnancy, I would feel supremely blessed and grateful to have a baby no matter what the circumstances. But I'd be lying if I said it wouldn't make things easier...Not that we're prepared to take the time to wait!
The funny thing is, pre-miscarriage, I never thought of myself as one of those women who would experience maternity as a calling...Yet I'm feeling the call, again and again. I sincerely hope that we both get what we wish for very soon. Jobs would be nice too ;)
I’m sorry to hear that you’re in the same situation. In retrospect, it was a very naïve assumption on my part, too. I just truly didn’t think it would be so difficult. Like you, I search for distractions from the fact there is no baby. I was so happy when we decided to stop thinking about my job search and go for the baby, but now that there is none ... well, what can distract me from that? Unlike a lack of a job, it is an absence that cannot be made up for in other ways.
DeleteAs for maternity leave, well, that was something I planned for back when I thought these things could be planned. It’s moved down in importance on my list of concerns and can now be found somewhere between “Do you want a boy or a girl?” and “What color are you going to paint the nursery?”
Also like you, I was never at all children-focused until recently, probably due to a combination of age and finding the right person. If you had asked the career-focused professional I was just two short years ago if I would ever envision myself as a stay-at-home wife/mother, I would have laughed. Now it’s all I want. Well, the mother component anyway!
Cheers, another expat here. No work for two years except a hobby-like one. One lost baby and a huge heartbreak.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry for your loss, I wish you the best and hope that another baby is in your near future.
Here from ICLW.
It’s always nice to meet another expat. I just read through some of your blog, and I am so sorry for the loss of your little Samuel. What a heartbreak. I have the same hopes and wishes for you and will be following your story, cheering you on.
DeleteI'll join the chorus. Three degrees, no job, no baby. I was thinking of a similar post. Every day I feel like I'm on the sidelines of life because no one will let me in on the game. I hate this gray space, this in between. It is sad, demoralizing, lonely, frustrating, and I often feel as if its tearing me apart. Thanks for sharing, Elizabeth.
ReplyDeleteIt is all that, and not, I imagine, where any of us expected to end up. I feel like I’m always waiting, just waiting, for life to start. Except it’s already started ... it’s here ... and I’m going nowhere ...
DeleteI can sort of relate being that I spent a crap ton of money and seven years of post high school education to get a job that barely allows me to pay back my loans. I sometimes wonder if I had gotten married in my twenties if I would have three kids by now. Anyway I'm sorry you're feeling down.
ReplyDeleteThere’s really something wrong with the American higher education system that people are put into this position. It’s a terrible way to begin one’s professional life, crippled with student loans. And sometimes I wonder the same thing – except then I think, well, if I’d married any of those specimens I spent my twenties with, we’d be divorced by now, kids or not. And I wouldn't have the life that I have now - which I'd prefer, even without kids, to that!
Delete