Monday, April 02, 2012

Choosing perspectives, choosing words.

We are lucky enough to live about a ten-minute walk away from one of the largest – and most beautiful – lakes in western Europe. There are some lovely parks and trails along its shore, where I like to run or walk. Usually it's nice to be there, but sometimes it isn't, especially on the weekends, when it seems like every pregnant lady, stroller-pushing mama, and happy little family in this region are there too. Seeing them causes my thoughts to turn towards dark places.

What made me the want to cry the most this weekend was seeing a dad riding a bike with his little boy following right behind him on a tandem attachment. I thought immediately of Gilles. He loves cycling, and I know he would be so happy to share something like that with his child.

When he and I were together again later that day, I wanted to talk to him about how I'd felt watching the father and son ride away together on their three-wheeled contraption. Namely: stuck. Futile. Left behind, both literally and figuratively. But I did not speak of my sadness, telling him instead, simply, "I hope one day that will be you."

His response? "One day that will be me."

He's always full of hope. Perhaps it's catching.

Or perhaps I just wanted to see his smile.

8 comments:

  1. hope is a beautiful thing, don't let go of the hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that Gilles had such an optimistic response. That will be a great day when you can watch the two of them riding their bikes together. It will make the experience all the sweeter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's always super sweet and optimistic ... the perfect balance to my sadness and fears. And yes, I think it will be all the sweeter for this. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way when I see a father with their child. I want so much to give my husband that experience! It sounds like Gilles has enough hope for the both of you - his strength and optimism will help carry you through this battle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet. My husband is much more optimistic than I am right now, i think I will always be cautious but still try to be hopeful. It's tricky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tricky, and it's also a matter of balance. I hope you too can keep your hope and optimism.

      Delete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.