"You can't be a little bit pregnant" is one of those oft-spouted grammatical axioms; "It's black or white – either you are or you aren't," or so they say, and so I believed until that terrible month of January when, for a week and half, I was neither one nor the other.
Now I see pregnancy more as a scale of grey ranging from pure white to deep black. A positive pee-stick is a good start, but that's all it is, really: a start. You don't go directly from white to black, from two lines to baby; rather, your white becomes the palest of greys, a necessary but not sufficient step in the direction towards baby. That's the kind of grey I was when I saw that double line last Wednesday: the palest.
But: Saturday's number was 359. From 150 on Thursday, that's a doubling time of 38 hours.
The pale darkened.
The endocrinologist had urged me to schedule a third blood draw since my TSH was too high for his liking (2.34 instead of 1.2; shattering the rule of thumb that correlates dosage to twice the patient's body weight, he increased my dosage of levothyroxine to 250 micrograms – it is not that I weigh 125 kilograms but rather that I am a medical marvel).
So I did, this morning, with a new new gynecologist, endocrinologist-recommended. ("What kind of doctor are you looking for?" he asked me. "Uhh ... somebody who does not refuse to authorize a second blood draw because 'there's no evidence' of pregnancy since 'lots of pee-sticks result in false positives' and the first round of potentially confirmatory blood is still in the vial, and then, upon agreeing to it reluctantly and exasperatedly after some patient-proffered untruths about vaginal bleeding, ask patronizingly if he should be expected to open his office on Saturday morning solely for a matter of such slight import, purposely ignoring that there are plenty of other medical establishments open for just those kind of blood-drawing activities at that time, all topped off by a goodbye in the form of 'see you in a few weeks ... if you really are pregnant,'" is what I wanted to suggest. But I went with: "Someone like you." And I meant it. Aww.)
Today's number is 944. It doubled in 34 hours.
And the pale darkened some more.
It's still pale, though. Anything could happen, but then again, that's always true, for everything. Pregnancies, babies, children, adults – all can be lost in the blink of an eye. At any stage of life, there are no guarantees that this day is not the last.
It's still pale; but also, it's grey. As many of you have gently suggested, that is something to accept and to celebrate. We don't know what the future might hold, but we know what today holds. And for that reason, the bottle of boozeless bubbly that I hestitatingly bought last Wednesday and promptly shoved into a closet is now on ice.
Thank you, friends, for helping me to see this. When we fill our glasses tonight, I will be raising mine not only to today but also to you. May all of our dreams come true.
Those numbers are great. Cheers to you.
ReplyDeleteAhhhhh yay!!!! Such amazing news. I know it is still so early, but I wanted to let you know how completely thrilled I am for you. I have been waiting for this good news all day!! I am continuing to send lots of positive thoughts your way. I am here for you 150%. Congrats to you! :)
ReplyDeleteOh, what great news!!! I'm so happy for your betas. It's a scary time, but you've made a good start.
ReplyDeleteThose are great looking numbers. Wishing you all the best and lots of good vibes :)
ReplyDeleteLovely numbers, fantastic. I am very happy tonight, as you should absolutely be.
ReplyDeleteAhhhh, I was holding my breath for this update! Congrats on the good numbers and your decision to celebrate today. You and your little mini-tiny-peace-of-chocolate are in my thoughts. xoxo
ReplyDeleteYaaaay, Elizabeth! I'm thinking of you and holding you and your teensy one in the light! Enjoy the moments!
ReplyDeleteSo so many happy thoughts going your way! I SO excited for you!!!!
ReplyDeleteLOVE this post. I needed to hear some good news today and I'm just so thrilled for you! A darker shade of gray is still better than a paler shade, and that's something to celebrate. TODAY, you are pregnant!
ReplyDeleteYeah! I'm so very happy for you. Those are beautiful numbers. I am especially happy that you were able to get rid of that asshat of a OBGYN. Can you imagine delivering with such a tool? Bleh. But, I don't want to get away from you and your current shade of grey, which is lovely, by the way.
ReplyDeleteSo incredibly happy for you both! Cheers my friend, enjoy the moment of celebration :)
ReplyDeleteCheers!! Sending lots of happy, positive thoughts your way :)
ReplyDeleteYay!!! So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteSoooo happy to read this wonderful news! (And so glad you got a new gynecologist!!!!)
ReplyDeleteaww! so lovely! wishing you continuing good news.
ReplyDeleteI think you describe the fragility of it all beautifully. Thank you for that. I want to keep this in mind, while I'm trying to keep in mind that every new cycle is another chance to try again. I'll tell myself when this cycle ends it is not THE END, but just the start of the next potential beginning.
ReplyDeleteGreat news!
ReplyDeleteFantastic! Your numbers are wonderful. Enjoy your little celebration, you deserve it!
ReplyDeleteYour numbers are FANTASTIC. Drink up, lovey.
ReplyDeleteThose numbers are just great. I'm so happy that today your grey has gotten a little darker. Today you are pregnant, and that's reason to celebrate!
ReplyDeleteOh, that's great, Elizabeth! One day at a time, and I'll always be hoping for the best. So happy for you!
ReplyDeleteIm absolutely thrilled for you. Absolutley.
ReplyDeleteWell, minus the spelling error.
DeleteHere from ICLW. Those sound like great numbers. Here's to that grey becomming black xox
ReplyDeleteYay! I am so excited for you! And now we can be gestational buddies;-)
ReplyDeleteI know you still feel grey, but it sounds like a dark enough grey to celebrate. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteFantastic news! The darker shade is putting a smile on my face today.
ReplyDeleteYES!! this is awesome news!!! :)
ReplyDeleteOh my...I LOVE these numbers. I do understand the cautious nature of your enthusiasm....I had a number of failures and a few losses until my take home babies and lots of little (and big) scares along the way. BUT....it does happen...and today...you have a very promising looking pregnancy....so I am celebrating with and for you. Lots of sticky baby dust to you.
ReplyDeleteKd
Wonderful wonderful news.
ReplyDeleteHey love! I'm so happy to hear such wonderful news!!!
ReplyDeleteI'll find something sparkly and bubbly and non-alcoholic and drink in your honor tonight! Or maybe I should go ahead and have the alcoholic kind for you :) Great news! Great numbers! Another day crossed off.
ReplyDeleteYAY! That is fantastic news!
ReplyDeleteI love this post. What great news to come back to. Congratulations my dear.
ReplyDeleteYay! Great news!
ReplyDeleteHi from ICLW...embrace the moment since you do not know what the future will hold
ReplyDeleteWahoo! It's been a wild ride but you have something wonderful to celebrate. I know how hard it is to hope and put yourself out there when all could fall apart, but you are into the grey and deserve a little happiness. Take it a day at a time and be sure that we are excited and sending warm wishes to you, hubby and baby. It's early, but every take-home baby starts out like yours.
ReplyDeleteCongrats my friend. This is such wonderful news!
MissConception
http://missconception-ads.blogspot.com/
ICLW greetings! Enjoy each day being pregnant :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post! I have been through so many shades...can totally relate. Many blessings to you as your shade darkens.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed that this is it friend!!!!
ReplyDelete