Agenda set. Reproductive decisions discussed. Reproductive decisions made.
All of which makes it sound a lot more exciting than it really is.
***
What first? The cheery doc had advised against performing the typically included HSG during my control cycle testing, since I didn't have any risk factors for obstructed tubes and especially, of course, once again, lest we forget, I got pregnant once before ha ha ha yeah that went awesomely! I agreed because what I was mostly concerned about then was autoimmunity, which doesn't really have any bearing on internal structure.
But as EmHart aptly pointed out over a coffee beside a canal, just because one little sucker managed to find its way up doesn't necessarily mean that it was easy or that others can follow in its path. In any case, it would be nice to check internal structure off the list as nothing to worry about, or, less ideally, to put it on the list as something to do something about. So when (okay, fine ... if; pardon my wanting to escape the definition of insanity) cd1 arrives in about a week, I'll be making an appointment for that.
And then, assuming all's structurally fine, and perhaps after a second sperm analysis, which many of you have suggested, we'll ask to move forward with an IUI. Despite the super-low proportion of non-monster sperm to monster sperm, there should be enough of the former to give us "good chances of success," or so we were advised when we were also advised to just keep trying!!! [Exclamation points provided by the cheery doc herself.] As long as good chances lead to a good baby, that's good enough for me.
It doesn't really seem that revolutionary, or worthy of any sort of so-called convention, really, but getting to this point – the one where you realize that "when a man and a woman love each other very, very much ..." doesn't amount to tuppence and that, instead, "when a nice doctor helps a man and a woman who love each other very, very much ..." might actually be the reality – is not always so easy.
***
Putting aside all the lack-of-baby talk, the holiday component of this getaway was amazing, even though it both began and ended with two hours of this:
It's a good thing kitty wasn't actually needed for tie-breaking purposes after wearing out his little throat protesting against vehicular travel like that.
The skies cleared and the sun came out and, contrary to expectations, by the time we arrived, there was nary a fleck of snow to be seen, except where it might be expected, high up on the Alpen peaks.
We hiked each day except the one when neither of us changed out of our pajamas; met new friends with whom to share a few bottles of wine on an evening terrace; gorged on our favorite fondue made from the cheese of cows that graze on neighboring alpine pastures; and reconnected with each other in the most essential ways after having spent too long apart.
But why use words when pictures speak louder? You might have caught a glimpse of what I selected for the photo challenge, but if you would like to see more, well ... there are plenty. Perhaps more than plenty. Here are just a few:
| downtown. |
| one of the few patches of clouds we saw all week. |
| the trail police. |
| an icefall. |
| a fitting window decoration for a cabane de montagne. |
| a swiss beauty "appreciating" Gilles a bit too much. |
| early-morning mist over the valley. (well, as early as "early-morning" got for us.) |
| to the brim: an american pour in a swiss wine glass. |
| what it looks like to be lying peacefully, trying to enjoy the view after a vigorous hike, only to have somebody throw grass at you because you're not paying him enough attention. |
| hi. |
I love your pictures! Looks like you had a wonderful well-deserved vacation!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. Amazing. Love it all. I want to go. :)
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely pictures! It looks like the two of you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. I am glad that you have a plan in place for the next cycle if this cycle doesn't work out. Wishing you the best of luck!!
ReplyDeleteRemember, that HSG might also be acting as a chimney sweep! I mean, that didn't help me get pregnant either, but you're covering all the bases at least.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you had such a wonderful vacation and quality time with Gilles.
True, that would be a nice after-effect!
DeleteRight, I am off to show these pictures to Kitt and make him take me to the Alps RIGHT NOW. Your holiday looks amazing, I am so very glad you had a wonderful time. I love the Alps with a deep and abiding passion, I so wish I could have made it there this summer. Hey ho, maybe a winter ski trip if there is no movement on the baby front by then. I think a HSG followed by moving towards IUI is not a bad plan at all. I just wish the doctors would move us in the IUI direction a bit faster as I have very little faith in madame de clomid.
ReplyDeleteTry the line Marwil used on her husband about Paris. It seemed to work! As much as I'd love you to enjoy a skiing holiday in the Alps, I hope hope hope that you can't.
DeleteI am SO jealous of your amazing vacay. I just adore your pictures. The one brush I had with the gorgeous Alps was skiing in college, and I have yearned to go back ever since. Thank you for sharing these pictures; they make my morning so wonderful.
ReplyDeleteLet's see, to catch up...no house in Finland for now :( Hubs work is notoriously fickle, so even though his one Big Boss wants him over there, the other Big Boss doesn't want to lose him in the states. Le sigh. Maybe my European jaunts will have to wait for now.
I truly, truly hope that the HSG will help you as you move forward. We "got pregnant" twice, yet lo and behold, I had serious issues that had we NOT investigated, would have led us to recurrent miscarriages, regardless of how healthy either of us was. Honestly, I was about to move onto Clomid in June as well. I was done trying. I hope that you don't HAVE to move on to the HSG that maybe just maybe...there's a chance you made a little Alpine baby?
It's nice to know they brightened your morning - thank you for the kind words! I think we need to have words with the other Big Boss. Doesn't he know that Europe needs you? And you're so right about it being good to investigate; I remember your story. There is a little chance that the plan might not be needed ... we'll see next week!
DeleteHooray for decision-making! It sounds like a good plan.
ReplyDeleteYour photos are beautiful. And how adorable are those cows?
Very - especially when they demanded a headrub before letting us pass!
DeleteI just love the Alps, it's so refreshing to be surrounded by the mountains. Lovely pictures.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm glad you have come up with a plan for moving forward. The more information the better, hopefully.
What beautiful pictures! Love the pictures of the cows :) Congrats on making decisions.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photos. Makes me long for the Alps...
ReplyDeleteMakes sense to check the internal workings before going wholeheartedly into treatment so good call.
ReplyDeleteLove the flowers in the boot, but I guess it works better in the alps than central London ...
Perhaps flowers in a stiletto would be more appropriate.
DeleteWay to go on the decision making!! I hope all works for the best! You have to tell me where you went! Living here we've never venture into the Alps... Could you believe that?!? Crazy, I know! Glad you're back!!
ReplyDeleteThat is crazy crazy! Do you at least have a good view of them? If we go out on the balcony and peer left, there's a little sliver - makes me smile every time. Hope you're doing well and that the little one is growing nicely.
DeleteAmazing pictures!! And yay for having decisions made. Onward!
ReplyDeleteDecisions. Plans. All very important pieces. Both for the future and your sanity.
ReplyDeleteLoved your photos. Your mountain retreat rivals any ocean get away I've been on lately. Simply lovely.
Funny, I saw the sand and sea in your dolphin picture and had a pang for the beach. The grass is always greener and all that.
DeleteNow you are really making me miss home... Your pictures are beautiful and it looks the two of you enjoyed a great vacation!
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear that you have plan. Hopefully the HSG will give your eggs a smooth sailing. FX that this will do the trick.
Well, the grandeur of the Pacific Northwest isn't too shabby to look at either!
DeleteSo good to have a plan in place. But I truly hope you can throw it right out the window when CD1 just doesn't show herself. I mean, you had a fabulous holiday in the Alps. How can that trip not include "and nine months later, you were born"? Fingers crossed!
ReplyDeleteIt would be a pretty story, wouldn't it? If this plan never came to fruition I wouldn't mind at all ....
DeleteWhat beautiful photos! And a plan too - all sounds positive :-)
ReplyDeleteSuch awesome pictures! It looks absolutely amazing and so relaxing. Congrats on reaching a decision and having a plan.
ReplyDeleteSeriously amazing photos. I love the cows!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to reconnect, you guys needed that. And you were able to come up with what sounds like a great plan for next cycle!
Isn't it nice to have a kitty to sing in the car?
I love Siamese because they are so chatty. We have great conversations, he and I.
DeleteHaving a plan always helps.
ReplyDeleteGreat pictures! It looks like you guys had a great vacation.