Then I went over to Amanda's blog and saw the vibrant and inspiring painting she was offering to one lucky reader and thought about the question she asked: what keeps you hopeful?
This is what I said:
Other than my dear bloggie friends who inspire me each and every day ... and my sweet husband who is always optimistic and encouraging ... well, I have a little Peruvian hat that I bought for a future child the day I met my husband, a few hours beforehand. I haven't looked at it since we lost the last pregnancy but knowing that it's there and that one day somebody will wear it gives me hope.That hat is blue.
I had found my blue.
To take the photograph, though, I'd have to find the hat. It had been put into the bag of other baby clothes I'd rather unfortunately purchased just before the bad-news appointment, the bag I unceremoniously dumped into our cellar eight and a half months ago, the bag that had since been dumped into a box and then covered most un-Swissly with other random dumped things. It took a little digging around under the dust and cobwebs, but I found it.
(The positive peesticks were in the bag, too. Props to those of the First Response variety for preserving their gorgeous double pink lines, lines still as vivid as they were the day I stick-peed, lines that have outlived by many multiples of months the empty gestational sac I would have liked to have thought of as my growing child.)
I haven't felt very hopeful lately. I try to stay positive but yesterday's paraphrase of "when, not if, I get my period next week" reflects my real state of mind. Thinking of this little spot of blue and what of our future it represents is helping me to feel less, well, blue.
And that is worth more than what is worth a thousand words.
| taken for EmHart's September Photo Challenge. |
Such a beautiful post! My heart goes out to you. :) Hugs!!
ReplyDeleteThank you - for the hugs as well as for the inspiration!
DeleteI am looking forward to kissing the nose of the head that fills that sweet hat in the not too far distant future.
ReplyDeleteYour picture posts are beautiful. There are at least a thousand words spoken by that tiny blue hat. <3
ReplyDeleteOh gosh. Oh gosh! It's amazing how much that tiny blue hat has pulled on my heart strings.
ReplyDeleteOh goodness, here come the tears again. Sweet post and darling hat. I am hoping you will need it very very soon.
ReplyDeleteI don't know what to say, really, other than I feel what you're saying.
ReplyDeletebeautiful blue hat..... I've been feeling a bit down, I had hoped this month would be our lucky one.....
ReplyDeletethinking of you
hugs
Beautiful post, beatiful hat and beautiful photo! Tears here wo go again.
ReplyDeleteI love the story behind the photo; and I am grateful that you shared it with me. I realize you didn't specifically share it with me, but that's how I read blogs, as though they are letters to me from friends I haven't met yet.
ReplyDeleteI'm feeling a lack of motivation with the photo challenge ever since I came to the "school" prompt. This post helped remind me that I just need to look into my heart to find the "right" photo for each day of the challenge.
I love this post, I love the hat, and I sincerely hope that one day one of your children WILL get to wear it. I look forward to seeing those photos.
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog again, I feel so incredibly lucky to be in contact with such supportive and wonderful people.
Lots and lots of love,
Lisa
http://dear-finley.blogspot.com
Precious hat! And I know one day you will have a precious little baby head to fill it. Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a sweet little hat! I love this post and am sending lots of hugs and hope your way!
ReplyDeleteI love the story behind it, how you bought that adorable little hat just before you met your husband. Amazing.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful hat and story. I hope you have a little one to where it soon. *hugs*
ReplyDelete