Thursday, September 20, 2012

Four weeks, one day, and a mountain of fear.

Yesterday morning, I hunched over my keyboard, re-reading a draft of a post entitled: "I cheated, and I got what I deserved." It went something like this:

Last week I signed up for Belle's POAS pledge: no stick-peeing until September 19. At the time, I was less than halfway into a two-week wait and was absolutely certain I'd keep my promise; my months of peeing maniacally are over. I swear.

Then Fertility Friend told me that my chart was "possibly triphasic" at 7dpo. Then I started having "symptoms." And then Monday was our first wedding anniversary. What better present than paper ... except a positive peestick? Isn't it time for one – just one – of these idyllically begun fairy tales to come true?

Accordingly, that night, I peed on an internet cheapie.

And the result didn't look entirely negative.

So I peed again, on a bigger better stick.

And, again, the result didn't look entirely negative.

Nor was it positive enough to present as part of the anniversary festivities. But I tucked the potential that it represented into the back of my mind and, for the first time in what seems like a very long time, put on a truly joyful smile to give to my husband instead.

I awoke early on Tuesday, excited to take my temperature and to stick-pee again. However: temperature dropping. (Because I'm up more than two hours early!) However, also: stark white sticks, two of 'em. (Because I drank too much water last night!)

Argue as I might, though, the body always has the last word.

So, yeah, I'm a cheat and a liar and I don't even have a positive peestick in hand to make it all seem worthwhile.

***

Two more tests taken Tuesday night had shown me two more evaporation line look-alikes. I cursed at them for their inability to just tell me no without making me squint and squawk, and at myself for bringing them into being, and then I quickly buried them deep down in the rubbish bin to discourage any future dumpster-diving.

My temperature was still low yesterday morning and my "symptoms" were diminishing. I was bitter and angry at myself for the futile stick-peeing, especially in light of my pledge, as might be obvious from the above. But before I hit publish on that draft, I hesitated, and went to pee again.

And this time, there was no doubt. There was a second line. Not very strong or, rather, "feint," as I keep seeing it described on Internet message boards.

But it was there nonetheless.

***

A second line.

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!!" Fertility Friend shouted at me when I noted it, rather disbelievingly, on my chart. "You have reported a positive pregnancy test! You are pregnant!"

But I don't feel that way. I don't think this is going to end well. I'm sorry; I'm not trying to be fatalistic; I'm not falsely seeking reassurance; I just don't.

Today's second line is fainter than yesterday's. My "symptoms" have all but disappeared. And as that pompous speck of a gynecologist who somehow dares to stake claim in a profession whose tenets include "do no harm" seemed almost gleeful to tell me, nothing was visible on this morning's ultrasound. ("Isn't it too early to see anything, anyway?" I asked him, having expected only a blood draw. He fixed his beady eyes on mine for a moment before replying, chidingly, "Lots of home pregnancy tests result in false positives.") (His assholeishness, of which there was very, very much, merits its own post.)

***

And then the darling endocrinologist, who was tickled when I confirmed that he was indeed the second to know (or close enough, anyway), broke my heart in the sweetest possible of ways. Reading out my weight from the scales, he added, "with clothes, shoes ... and baby. Tout petit, mais là."

Please be there, baby. Please. Please.

***

"If it dies, I will die," I told Gilles last night, jerking him instantly awake. And as I had to reassure him, I will reassure myself now, too: I won't. Of course I won't. But if it dies, a part of me, at least, will die, too, and it will never, ever regrow.

39 comments:

  1. First, Congratulations! I'm hoping for you and this little one. You try and try and try to get this little line and then the second it arrives you are full of fear. It's so scary. I'm happy for you and hoping and hoping. I know how afraid you are right now. I'll be thinking of you.

    I think it is too early to see anything and your doctor is an asshole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you and wishing and hoping for all good things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats lady!! Sending you all the positive thoughts in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know these feelings all too well. I sincerely hope your line darkens. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Elizabeth! Holding you in my thoughts and hope hope hoping for you...that the little line grows darker, that approximately 9 months from now it'll be a distant memory of the beginning of a very happy ending...

    I SO hope for you. xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth - thinking of you and wishing that only good things are around the corner. I can very much appreciate what a delicate and fragile time this is - so very many emotions. Know that we're all standing behind you as you go into the next few days. I'll be anxiously awaiting your updates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending lots of good thoughts and vibes your way. Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Elizabeth! I want to hug you right now. First of all let me say congrats on getting that second line. I know how amazingly wonderful and scary it is all at the same time. Secondly, why did that gyn give you an ultrasound so freaking early? To scare the living daylights out of you? I had one at 5 weeks 4 days and we barely saw anything. Do they not do blood tests over there to check hormone levels? Seems like that would be much more accurate at this point. Ugh I am sorry you had to deal with incompetence and poor bedside manner. :( I am thinking about you and sending you lots of positive thoughts. Grow baby, grow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for a sticky bean in there. I'm so sorry you've had to deal with such insensitivity with the doctor! Not what you need when everything is so delicate right now. Sending good thoughts and vibes your way! XO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quiet and hopeful congratulations my lovely friend, I will hold on to the hope and faith for you. You deserve this happiness. If you need to talk don't hesitate to let me know, you know where I am.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elizabeth - you are in my thoughts! I'm sending tons of sticky, sticky baby dust your way. I'm sorry the two docs once again proofed their insensitivity. I would punch them if I could. FX that all is going well! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thinking of you and sending lots of positive thoughts & vibes your way! Keeping my fingers crossed for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If the collective will of the ALI blogging community has any power, your little one will grow and thrive and arrive safely in your arms. You and baby are in my thoughts and prayers. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stick and grow little baby, stick and grow. Congratulations... I will temper my joy for now, but know that I, and so many others, will hold onto that hope and joy and excitement for you until you're ready to shout from the rooftops!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG!! OMG!!, this is great news! I understand you're scared, but lets hope for the best! You and this little one are in my prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness Elizabeth am I hoping this is your way out of the trench, I know this must be really scary for you. Huge hugs, may this lil one grow!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! I want this for you so bad. Hang in there baby.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As wonderful as it is to have those double pinks, I understand how a fear that is almost greater than trying to get pregnant takes hold. And it happens so fast. You are starting a new chapter and the ending hasn't been written yet. But with all that I am, I'm hoping for a happily ever after for you, your husband, and your future family.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are things I know you know, but let me reiterate out of rage directed at that asshat of a doctor. False positives are very, very rare, especially when you get multiple positives. There isn't going to be a damn thing on an ultrasound at 4w1d. Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

    Now. On to more pertinent matters. Congratulations. I know that gnawing, clawing uncertainty, and I am sorry you have to experience it. I hope that your little bean continues to grow, grow, grow. Today my thoughts are with you and I will light a candle in this tiny corner of the earth in celebration of your child's new life.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sending lots of good vibes your way. Stick stick stick! You deserve the happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Elizabeth, how wonderful news to get. And yes, scary too when it's still early days. I so wish this is your time, sending heaps of positive thoughts your way. Grow little one, grow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Elizabeth, I hope this baby sticks around for you. I am sending a ton of positive vibes and baby dust your way. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What wonderful news, friend! But I do so understand your fears. With that positive pregnancy test comes a whole new set of worries, anxieties, stresses, and more. I know it's scary and that sometimes it is easier to believe it won't end well so you are more prepared (if that's even possible) if it doesn't. But we will all hope and pray for you and we are here either way. Grow, baby, grow!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great news!! Stick little one stick!

    How is this GYN still in business with that type of attitude/bedside manner???

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fingers and toes crossed for you that the little one sticks. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  26. More quiet congrats sent your way! I know this is so scary. I'm hoping this one sticks around. Grow, baby, grow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. THinking of you, hoping hoping hoping. Oh, the waiting is DESPERATE, isn't it? So much empathy.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Deep breath. Symptoms come and go this early. Cautious congrats and hoping for the best for your little one.

    Your doc is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm keeping you in my thoughts, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thinking of you....sticky thoughts! Even tho in most circles that sounds very wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Even though you don't have a lot of faith in this pregnancy I still want to say congratulations!!!!! I know all too well how scary it is to get pregnant after a miscarriage. To not want to celebrate or embrace it, but I don't think it'll hurt any less if The Horrible happens again. I hope you guys get to celebrate for the next nine months!! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations on two lines! I hope things progress from here. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Reading this post actually had me on the edge of my seat until I got to the end and then I burst into tears. I know it is early days, but congratulations any ways! Sometimes we need a little hope in our lives.

    Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes to plan for you.

    Lisa
    http://dear-finley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hoping & praying for you!!! Lots of sticky vibes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh, Elizabeth! This is so exciting and so frightening! I DO completely understand. The little life within is so fragile, yet so capable. As someone once told me: You can't shake out a viable pregnancy. Even having lost 4, I still believe this. Hang onto what ever shred of hope you can, and enjoy the moments of being pregnant as though there are no other moments. I will keep you in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay! This is the best news I could return to after being overwhelmed and absent. I am so freaking happy for you! Your heart will break but you will not die. You will be held up by all of us. But that is NOT going to happen to you. I am hoping for the most joyous and successful 9 months of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  37. K, I have no idea how I missed this. What????? Oh. My. God. Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.