Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Cozy [photo challenge].

Autumn is here.

This is actually my first autumn in Switzerland. Both last year and the one before it, I spent most of the season on an extended visit to my family followed by a nice long holiday with Gilles, returning here only for the winter frost.

Since it is my first, there has been a question burning in my mind lately, especially in light of all of your envy-inducing posts about pumpkin spice lattes: must I add them, too, to the list of all I missssss while I'm here, or ... could there be ... might there be ... just such a tasty beverage at my local "sure, you can have an American-style milk-based espresso drink, but it'll cost you ten bucks" coffee shop? Surely, I thought, that would be asking too much in a country where even just being able to find a place to order drinks in tall, grande, or venti is a rare treat.

Well. The question is no longer burning, and it was extinguished with a squeal of glee. The green mermaid herself has emailed me to let me know that I can:

screen-captured for EmHart's September Photo Challenge
(with the hope that the rules don't proscribe such laziness).






















"Finally available in Switzerland!" the message said. Well, good thing I wasn't here to waste my time pining over its non-availability these last few autumns!

School has started, and I've been adjusting myself to getting showered, dressed, fed, and out of the house by 7:30 each morning (right in the middle of my prime blogging hours!). But there are no classes on Friday, and it is then that I will put on a warm sweater, pull out a good book, and curl up in an amchair to sip on a pumpkin spice latte. Autumn is here, and it's time to get cozy.

Now onto the next burning question: how will I feel if it's not served in a red cup?

26 comments:

  1. Pumpkin spice lattes make life worth living. (And I guess other stuff does, too.)

    I'm going to say that screenshots are allowed (since I used one yesterday). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was just a rural college girl from Nebraska I spent a semester in London. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. It was in London, of all places, that I was introduced to the loveliness that is the green mermaid. It was expensive. My mum and dad came to visit and I took them there because I thought it was amazing. They were floored by the price. I don't think they enjoyed their delicious coffee beverage. I've never looked back, and now there is a Starbucks in my small, rural, hometown in Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this story. Did you think it was English or did you know it was American?

      Delete
  3. Don't buy it- make it!
    This syrup is so easy! I made this for my coworkers yesterday and they loved it. We had it iced- would be great in hot lattes. I'm planning to bottle this in small gig bottles for family Christmas presents:
    Www.kitchentreaty.com/pumpkin-spice-iced-coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm going to have to try that! Would make it that much easier to uphold my ethical stance on Starbuck's ;)

      Delete
    2. Ooohhh ... I will have to try that - if I can track down pumpkin puree in this country, that is! And what a sweet gift idea.

      Delete
  4. Yessss! I would be so sad for you - tis the season where pumpkin and caramel everything is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And soon to come - gingerbread spice! Wonder if that will be on the winter menu here ...?

      Delete
  5. I may be the only American who hasn't had that drink. However, I do appreciate that you did a screen shot for one of your photos...I almost did one the other day :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO happy that you are able to enjoy the pumpkin spice! Mmmmm that picture makes me want one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin spiced lattes are delicious. However when you are staring at palm trees in 80 degree weather... not so much. Please enjoy one for me while snuggled in a sweater and feeling some frost in the air!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two suggestions: (1) tank top and iced latte, or (2) warm sweater, hot latte, and air-conditioning cranked waaaayy down. (Make your own autumn!)

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. We should schedule a coffee date. At __ o'clock on ____, all of us lift our green mermaid cups for a toast to a very bloggy autumn.

      Delete
  9. This is too funny! I was only just last week lamenting the absence of the pumpkin spice latte in European Starbuck's branches...and like you I was gleeful to learn that it's also being introduced here in the UK. I normally have an unofficial boycot of Starbuck's in favour of local independant cafes, (a situation which was made easier by the dearth of their wierd and wonderful concoctions over here), but there are two things that can make me crack...The pumpkin spice in winter and the green tea frappicino in summer.

    Hope you're enjoying the new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same ethical issue, especially since my hometown is full of amazing little independent places, but ... sorry to say it ... I like Starbucks's coffee better! Has the green tea frappucino crossed the pond? That's my go-to summer drink, but the last time I was in London, the girl looked at me like I had two heads when I asked about it.

      Delete
  10. I can't get into pumpkin anything and it makes me sad. I haven't tasted anything I have liked. Usually this is the season where I start drinking peppermint mochas until spring starts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you don't get red cups come November let me know and I'll mail you some. Do you have the new pumpkin spice Via? It's been really popular here - mix it with milk, have a latte at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet! I will look for that Via, which sounds delicious. Both my mom and my sister gave me the very berry hibiscus-coffee extract Via last summer - I'm still meting them out carefully :)

      Delete
  12. I am so glad you can get your fix!!

    ReplyDelete

Your words brighten my day! Thank you for taking the time to let me know what you're thinking.